V-log unlocked for free!

Aragonnarun

This is nonsense.  It may be an oversight on Panasonic's side, but this is simply using the functionality built in to the app and camera.  Nothing else.  Nothing has been reverse engineered, nothing have been hacked or any copyright infringement.  I feel this to be an inaccurate comment. 

The precise info is available on many places on the web now, including reddit!

https://www.reddit.com/r/gh4/comments/3l1j2z/how_to_use_vlog_without_buying/

While the sentiment of "without buying" is an unwelcome one, explaining the steps of how to use Vlog with existing software apps is surely an interesting, and wholly valid one.  Panasonic may be unhappy at the situation, but they clearly put out software that allowed the use of the Vlog profile without the need for a paid upgrade.  Their simple mistake.

I just tried this, downloading the image app, and the firmware all in the past hour and it worked fine.

thank you works now. Much appreciated. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks to Panasonic. Seems like they went to so much trouble to secure it lol. This isn't even a hack, there is no grey area. It is obvious and freely available. No need to delete this thread imho. It is the same thing as a shop putting a 0 cents price sticker on a product: obvious mistake but you would be crazy not to take what is being offered to you. I will of course pay, just like everyone else on this forum. And just like everyone else I never pee in swimming pools:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Perfect timing for me as I have a shoot planned for tomorrow. God damn the image is flat- going to be a lot of fun with the brand new finished Resolve 12. It's like Christmas in July September :)

yeah it'd be silly to delete this whole thread. I come here for interesting news, and this is interesting. actually a lot of people on here taking Panasonic's side and saying this is stealing, which you may not have happened at all on another forum. the actual instructions provided in the thread were "hey.. this is possible, figure it out". so yeah, legal trouble would be ridiculous. and honestly don't blame anyone for taking advantage of it.

yeah it'd be silly to delete this whole thread. I come here for interesting news, and this is interesting. actually a lot of people on here taking Panasonic's side and saying this is stealing, which you may not have happened at all on another forum. the actual instructions provided in the thread were "hey.. this is possible, figure it out". so yeah, legal trouble would be ridiculous. and honestly don't blame anyone for taking advantage of it.

hahaha. I don't know why people read something else into posts. I never said it is stealing, because the glitch is caused by Panasonic. I only said morally. Law and morality don't always go hand in hand.

More than anything else, this news made me laugh like crazy. Panasonic took so long to come up with pricing and selling the GH4 Vlog, and then, a little glitch has made it all free. Maybe if they target selling another few thousand GH4s, they can easily recover the cost. Or even better, release it for Free on the FZ100, the LX100, the G7, and the GX8 too, and let people go out to buy all those cameras, with the new Vlog. IMHO it sounds like an interesting marketing idea.

hahaha. I don't know why people read something else into posts. I never said it is stealing, because the glitch is caused by Panasonic. I only said morally. Law and morality don't always go hand in hand.
More than anything else, this news made me laugh like crazy. Panasonic took so long to come up with pricing and selling the GH4 Vlog, and then, a little glitch has made it all free. Maybe if they target selling another few thousand GH4s, they can easily recover the cost. Or even better, release it for Free on the FZ100, the LX100, the G7, and the GX8 too, and let people go out to buy all those cameras, with the new Vlog. IMHO it sounds like an interesting marketing idea.

the worst news for them is the gh4R!

If they do make it free in response (which I don't think will happen), the new pre-installed LOG ver, which cost more, is DOA... 

I don't feel guilty. I've already paid Panasonic.

Maybe now they wont bother developing new firmware then. They will just develop new hardware so you have to pay them to get the improvements.

Much more expensive for the consumer for sure, but if they insist on cheating you, what can you do?

I torrent movies all the time, but I only do it after I've already bought the Blu-Ray. Why? Because those Ultraviolet digital downloads are a ton of work to redeem and transfer to other devices. I feel like I've already done my part and supported the movie, so I'm not doing anything wrong by putting it on my computer in a different form.

Likewise, I wouldn't feel bad for downloading V-LOG L this way if I already paid my $99. If I just used this method to avoid all the hassle of the official upgrade procedure, no one gets a raw deal: Panasonic has their $99, I have what I paid for. 

But Tugela is right: Panasonic is going out on a limb with this upgrade. Manufacturers generally wait until the next product iteration to add new features, and Panasonic certainly could have. If we want to reward them for this strategy, the only way to vote is with our wallets. Otherwise, we're not going to get a deal this good next time. 

I do feel a bit sorry for them. Maybe they should come out and be honest about needing to cover costs and setup a donations page. If not I will probably try and buy another Panasonic lens or something. The camera with V Log for £750 currently is on a par with the BMPCC half price deal last year,so maybe they will sell lots more to make up for it.

4 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I don't feel guilty. I've already paid Panasonic.

Maybe now they wont bother developing new firmware then. They will just develop new hardware so you have to pay them to get the improvements.

Much more expensive for the consumer for sure, but if they insist on cheating you, what can you do?

What? I'm talking about paying for the firmware update. I've already done it for 2 cameras. Go Panasonic, keep developing.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I am a lawyer (among other things). You discovered a glitch and did Not hack or break into the security. Having said that, since the VLog patch is a Paid patch, and you have gotten it for free, ideally atleast on moral grounds you should not discuss this any further.

Great to hear from a professional lawyer. So no legal liability but gray moral area. Thanks sanveer!

Great to hear from a professional lawyer. So no legal liability but gray moral area. Thanks sanveer!

I am glad to be of help. Also, I personally don't mind making a donation towards the VLog if I pick up a GH4. 

Do you also feel, that they should let the VLog trickle down to the other Panasonic Cameras (FZ1000, LX100, G7 and GX8) ?