Hey, KODAK Super 8 Camera is out there!

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, it's insane (it should be something under one ground at least if not less) but brings some bright focus (and value) on those vintage lying around just for a few bucks which can be used as specialty capture devices on certain movie projects even straight to the digital age we all live in : ) I wish to see the format alive in any way whatsoever. More labs to offer lower prices for their services are always welcome! :- )

Pure buzz effect, keep the hype up!

I wouldn't mind to have one for sure : P just no need to pay $5K for ; )

I don't think they have sent it to the market believing it will become a best seller... : D

It's not dumping LOL of course, but sorta flagship. I hint they only intend to tell the world they are alive and kicking.

In the meantime, people cannot have much room to announce the death of the format, I guess. As we've heard so many times before, isn't it?

Retro bet on such postmodernist attitude doesn't hurt either and inflates the cult.

I don't think it is a nonsensical release, on the opposite IMHO.

It simply won't change our life, that's for sure! ;- )

It's way too pricey for someone but then again maybe some rental houses would be interested. Instead of keeping some old cameras alive they can get one of these with its warranty and availability of repair parts.  Might be good for those that want to shoot film and will rent it.

I'm intrigued by the extended gate frame size they have. That along with small grained film stock might approach Super16 in look.

Gotta love a demo video that starts with a world-famous model / actress...

All else being equal, products like this probably help to keep film alive.  There's a chance the rich might adopt things like this, and perhaps burn through film like they're rich (because they are).  For the rest of us, if you wanted to shoot on 8mm film then get yourself a second-hand real film camera and then benefit from the film consumption of the rich to give economies of scale.

Personally, I think that the iPhone / smartphones have finally gotten here.  The compression artefacts (and even the crushing over-processing) are made invisible by the time you add enough blur and grain to get a semi-decent match, and they've finally caught up in terms of dynamic range, so you can have contrasty mids with strong saturation but gentle and extended rolloffs.

Also, the more these images trend on social media, the more my OG BMPCC and BMMCC go up in value!

On 12/1/2023 at 5:27 PM, Clark Nikolai said:

It's way too pricey for someone but then again maybe some rental houses would be interested. Instead of keeping some old cameras alive they can get one of these with its warranty and availability of repair parts.  Might be good for those that want to shoot film and will rent it.

Can't see why a rental house would be interested, when you consider the up front costs + overheads vs how often they could rent this out, then there isn't any sensible price they could rent this out at per day where they could make a profit on it. 

43 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Can't see why a rental house would be interested, when you consider the up front costs + overheads vs how often they could rent this out, then there isn't any sensible price they could rent this out at per day where they could make a profit on it. 

Maybe some niche rental house in LA?  Even just if folks making music videos wanted to rent it?

It’s built for rental. 

It has a video split. No s8 camera that I know of has ever had one. 

c mount interchangeable lenses. Not many had that either.

That means commercials.  And music videos. 

Commercials and music videos are the life blood of camera rental companies. 

Thats exactly where this camera lives. And the types of clients that can pay for it. 

22 hours ago, kye said:

Maybe some niche rental house in LA?  

Perhaps, just because LA is the biggest market for this in the world. But outside  LA or another similar major metropolis (such as perhaps NYC) then it just wouldn't work. 

22 hours ago, kye said:

Even just if folks making music videos wanted to rent it?

Hard to justify ownership of it just on the basis of the low budget rentals from music videos!

15 hours ago, JulioD said:

It’s built for rental. 

It has a video split. No s8 camera that I know of has ever had one. 

c mount interchangeable lenses. Not many had that either.

That means commercials.  And music videos. 

Commercials and music videos are the life blood of camera rental companies. 

Thats exactly where this camera lives. And the types of clients that can pay for it. 

How many commercials or higher budget music videos will want to shoot on Super 8mm?? 

And of those very few which want the Super 8mm look, how many will want the awkward workflow of actual film vs shooting on an ARRI then degrading it down in post? (or some other similar-ish approach, such as shooting with an OG BMPCC or Digital Bolex or Magic Lantern) 

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

How many commercials or higher budget music videos will want to shoot on Super 8mm?? 

And of those very few which want the Super 8mm look, how many will want the awkward workflow of actual film vs shooting on an ARRI then degrading it down in post? (or some other similar-ish approach, such as shooting with an OG BMPCC or Digital Bolex or Magic Lantern) 

Just because you don’t think it makes sense doens’t mean there aren’t already people now shooting super 8.

https://www.oldfastglass.com/super-8mm

https://www.pro8mm.com/collections/super-8-camera-rentals

https://kitsplit.com/rent/canon-1014-xl-s-super8-camera-with-zoom-6-5-65mm-f1-4-brooklyn-ny

https://www.sydneysuper8.com.au

Away from the major markets people are more likely to use KitSplit or similar.  The last link is a company in Sydney processing super 8 and doing a thriving business.  They can’t keep up.