Panasonic G9 mk2

kye

9 minutes ago, Beritar said:

I have both the 10-25mm and the 25-50mm, these lenses are the pinnacle of M43.
Sure, they are very sharp, not extraordinary sharp as my 35mm GM, my 50mm S Pro or even my 24-70mm S Pro, but they are among the best you can find in M43. No, what make them special, apart from their focal range is their rendering.
Their local contrast (and colors in my opinion) is crazy good, especially the 25-50mm, one of my favorite lens ever.

I also have some of the fast little primes like the 20mm f1.7 II, the 15mm f1.7 and the 25mm f1.4 II.
They are not as sharp as the PanaLeica f1.7 zooms, but, the 20mm f1.7 is tiny, produce nice colors with good global contrast, and the image has a very good sense of volume, it is why so many people love it. The focus is slow and noisy (really noisy), but accurate, and from what I've seen the G9II makes the AF almost usable (certainly usable for me).
The 15mm and the 25mm are more expensive, slightly bigger, slightly less sharp wide open (especially the 25mm f1.4 which can be nice for video), but their AF is faster. 
They have not the same sense of volume as the 20mm in my opinion but they have solid local contrast, thought not as good as the Oly 25mm f1.2 Pro by exemple.

Those are good recommendations.

For pro lenses, I currently have 12-40 pro, 17mm pro, 40-150mm Pro f/2.8.

For non-pro, I have the 9mm, 14mm, 14-42 EZ (with a killer automatic lens cap), 17mm, 25mm, 45mm, 75mm, 75-300mm. I also just picked up (in a kit) the 12-32, and 35-100 f4-5.6, but I'm not sure I'll keep them.

I want the 25mm pro 1.2 when I find it at a decent price... and I'm determined I will. It would be great with the already amazing 17mm Pro.

I have thoughts on all these lenses that I'll probably share soon. (time permitted)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I already have most of the other lenses you mention with the exception of the 35-100; instead, I have the 40-150 Pro f/2.8. I'm not sure it's a better lens.

At twice the weight and 1.6x the length of the 35-100 F2.8, I didn't even contemplate the 40-150 Pro F2.8. I did consider the Oly 40-150 Pro F4 as it's about the same size & weight as the 35-100 F2.8, but decided I'd prefer the faster aperture.

Compromises...

Basically my target weight limit for body + lens is around 1 kg.

Very helpful. Thanks for that. The superzoom option is interesting as I've never done it. The GX85 is such a great camera. In fact, it's the only other camera that I've preordered. I had it for 2 years, but sold due to gas. I often wish I had just kept it all this time, but wanted to try other things (watched too much YouTube probably).

I've been thinking of the "system" a little differently though. I've been thinking "big and capable" vs. "small and less features"; not "low-light" vs. "abundant light". It's essentially the same though. I guess it's more about a "get by with" system and "no compromise-ish" system.

I started with the situations I find myself in, what I have done in those situations that worked and what didn't, what I like the look of and what I don't care about, and then tried to work backwards from there.  That thinking lead to a number of realisations that helped me focus, for example:

• I see compositions in all sorts of focal lengths
  • My home videos are only when we go somewhere interesting, so are about the people interacting with the environment (so are environmental portraits) and this means I want to keep the background relatively in focus most of the time
  • During the day I will see compositions of far-away objects but at night you don't normally look at far away things, but if you do then you normally have time to change lenses (e.g. if you're at a lookout)
  • Painting is about adding things into your composition but photography / videography is about removing things, so in cities I tend to use longer focal lengths more than I would when I'm in nature
  • How big the camera is has a big difference on how I feel when shooting, and that influences when I shoot, how I shoot and how people act in the footage, so this is more important than FOV in those situations
  • etc.

Obviously yours will be different, but it's the thinking-it-through that I think provides the insight.  A fun thought experiment is to start with nothing and then only add things into your setup when you can justify needing them.  Then when you identify a need not met by the current hypothetical kit you add something that only satisfies that requirement and not more.  This way you are sure to not over-spec.

11 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Basically my target weight limit for body + lens is around 1 kg.

Mine is similar too.  I worked that out when I had the Canon 700D and Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 which were 1.4kg and were definitely too heavy and by a good margin.  I later had the GH5 + Voigt 17.5mm + Rode VMP+ which was 1.3kg and was a challenge, and XC10 + Rode VMP+ which was 1.1kg and manageable but at the upper limit for carrying it around and having it constantly in the hand and ready (e.g. at the zoo for a few hours, or at a festival, etc).

Speaking of weight, one of the principle reasons I am shifting some of my kit, - my main unit clocks in at just over 2.8kg 🤪

My targets now are 2 units 1-1.5kg each.

I don’t mind a bit of chunk and heft, but anything over 2.5kg…as just one of 3 units is a bit much on 12+ hour shoots!

14 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Speaking of weight, one of the principle reasons I am shifting some of my kit, - my main unit clocks in at just over 2.8kg 🤪

My targets now are 2 units 1-1.5kg each.

I don’t mind a bit of chunk and heft, but anything over 2.5kg…as just one of 3 units is a bit much on 12+ hour shoots!

I don't see your problem, just build strength by carrying around a brick all day when you're at home or running errands.

It's a standard industry strength training practice.

This photo shows a steadicam operator popping down to the shops on his day off:

XptJgvU.jpg

9 hours ago, kye said:

I don't see your problem, just build strength by carrying around a brick all day when you're at home or running errands.

It's a standard industry strength training practice.

I know you're joking, but I had this discussion a few weeks back with a steadicam op friend of mine, and he made the comment about how he needs to do a few steadicam gigs per month otherwise he doesn't keep up that fitness without those workouts. 

And I feel similarly, as a Boom Op it is a very physical job just like a Steadicam Op, but needing the consistent technical precision every scene of a focus puller / 1st AC. 

Is why I now try to hit the weights if I ever have a stretch of time without booming (due to whatever reasons, be it lockdowns, or because I'm just Mixing on gigs instead, or if it is a slow patch, etc), so as to keep up my strength. As it's so important to maintain. 

I had a scene yesterday that absolutely brutally murdered my arms, put me in a world of pain, yet had to push through while trying to nail a rather difficult complex scene (I swear it would've been 10x easier, with less shadow risks, if I'd been allowed to boom from the upper floor level looking down rather than from being at the level of the the lounge/kitchen itself. But wasn't given permission for that). Ah well, at least the second half of the day was the cruisiest I've had this month! And we wrapped early too, which is nice, then we had our friday wrap drinks. 

3 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I know you're joking, but I had this discussion a few weeks back with a steadicam op friend of mine, and he made the comment about how he needs to do a few steadicam gigs per month otherwise he doesn't keep up that fitness without those workouts. 

And I feel similarly, as a Boom Op it is a very physical job just like a Steadicam Op, but needing the consistent technical precision every scene of a focus puller / 1st AC. 

Is why I now try to hit the weights if I ever have a stretch of time without booming (due to whatever reasons, be it lockdowns, or because I'm just Mixing on gigs instead, or if it is a slow patch, etc), so as to keep up my strength. As it's so important to maintain. 

I had a scene yesterday that absolutely brutally murdered my arms, put me in a world of pain, yet had to push through while trying to nail a rather difficult complex scene (I swear it would've been 10x easier, with less shadow risks, if I'd been allowed to boom from the upper floor level looking down rather than from being at the level of the the lounge/kitchen itself. But wasn't given permission for that). Ah well, at least the second half of the day was the cruisiest I've had this month! And we wrapped early too, which is nice, then we had our friday wrap drinks. 

I contemplated the idea of carrying something around to build my strength, but in the end didn't / couldn't be bothered / decided to lighten the rig.  Some things are a matter the strength of muscles, which grow quite quickly if you do strength building exercises, but other things are about the tendons and other stuff, which grow incredibly slowly.  

For me, carrying a heavy camera around ended up hurting my wrist, so I figured it was tendons / ligaments / etc which all take time to grow.

1 hour ago, kye said:

For me, carrying a heavy camera around ended up hurting my wrist, so I figured it was tendons / ligaments / etc which all take time to grow.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

This is quite serious stuff. I don't know if you've seen any on P. Bloom's videos from last year, but the guy had massive lower back pain. IMO, humans are not meant for carrying significant weight 8 hours a day for a career. I'm not actually sure can work anymore.

This is quite serious stuff.

It is.

Around a decade or so back, I was what is known as skinny fat, ie, very little muscle tone but a surplus of fat around my middle.

I never exercised, had developed asthma, smoked and drank (but not heavily) and it was a gradual erosion/accumulation more than anything.

I decided to do something about it around the time of my 40th birthday.

I’m 53 in a few weeks and never been in better condition and actually have a fitness competition (Hyrox) that I have traveled to Ireland for from France, in a couple of hours.

Why mention this?

Fatigue, or reduction of from being in shape.

And not just the physical, but the mental which is unseen but contributes.

But I still have trouble getting to sleep after an intense 15+ hour day because despite downing tools, I’m still buzzing.

The next day though…and I can never lie in and catch up no matter how late I went to bed or how tired I am, by lunchtime, wiped out and can easily grab another 1-2 hours early afternoon, but it’s not until the day after the day after I feel recovered, so never take back to back jobs anymore.

No way I could be working the way I have been for the last few years one to two decades ago and I guess another factor why when other photographers or videographers ask me how I do what I do, part of that answer is level of fitness.

But as with all these things, it is only a part of a greater whole.

2.8kg unsupported in and out of your hands all day though is a bit nuts which is why it has to go!

I agree, even though the lighter the better, it will obviously depend on the balance of the rig, the rig itself and time spent with.

That's why the choice of your rig is not a little thing as much as size and the necessary effort to handle it and carry on.

Just turned a year plus too less than a couple of weeks ago (I'm from October 17 : )

- EAG

This conversation begs the question: what is the acceptable weight for a handheld setup? IMO, 1.5kg is the upper limit. What do you think? BTW, I just turned 50.

It will depend of course on the individual but for me, for stills, under 1kg is fine but for video, I prefer around 1.5kg as a sweet spot, as I find that is a nice stable platform and not too heavy.

Over 2.5kg is for me getting a bit much. A bit much as in it’s not that heavy per se, but over the course of a long shoot, hanging off your hip (best IMO) or sling (going to feel that one very quickly!) not desirable.

I am currently debating first of all Lumix vs Nikon for video…but that is another topic entirely and not relevant, but whether I go:

A. Hybrid units; 1 static, 1 light (1kg) most of the day, 1 heavy (<2kg) various times but not all day, or,

B. Video and photo units; 1 static video, 1 roaming video (1.5kg), 2x stills (1kg + 1.25kg).

Pros and cons for each and for me to work out but bottom line is I am ‘happy’ to go up to 2.5kg for a single unit, but only if I will not be using it all the time.

On me, either attached or in hand, 2kg max is about the max based on my experience that I would be comfortable with for video and 1.5kg for stills.

I also need a day rest to fully recover from previous day, if I did back to back shoot I will be very tired on 3rd day.

The days of flying C70 with 18-35mm 1.8 on Ronin all day is definitely past my time.

So this year I downsize my setup to rs3 mini and ZV-E1 with <500g lens (or R8 with 600g lens) instead of the hefty 24-70 2.8 on R5 on Ronin rs2 pro, that is over 1/2 the weight saved, with this new setup I m not as over tiring as before which is good for me.

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I agree, even though the lighter the better, it will obviously depend on the balance of the rig, the rig itself and time spent with.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

It will depend of course on the individual but for me, for stills, under 1kg is fine but for video, I prefer around 1.5kg as a sweet spot, as I find that is a nice stable platform and not too heavy.

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

So this year I downsize my setup to rs3 mini and ZV-E1 with <500g lens (or R8 with 600g lens) instead of the hefty 24-70 2.8 on R5 on Ronin rs2 pro, that is over 1/2 the weight saved, with this new setup I m not as over tiring as before which is good for me.

At 658g, I guess the G9 ii isn't so bad. It gives 842g of lens and accessories. Here are some of the fastest setups and weights:

G9 ii + Panasonic 9mm f/1.7 = 788g

G9 ii + Olympus 17mm f/1.2 = 1048g

G9 ii + Olympus 25mm f/1.2 = 1068g

G9 ii + Olympus 45mm f/1.2 = 1068g

G9 ii + Olympus 75mm f/1.8 = 963g

G9 ii + Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 = 1418g

G9 ii + Olympus 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 = 1081g

There are some nicer lenses at the telephoto end, but many put us over the mark as you'd expect.

21 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

They should really do a GX9 II with the same pdaf sensor..

https://fstoppers.com/reviews/panasonic-please-come-back-lumix-gx9-re-review-645313

Do you think they'll have a microphone jack? Probably not and Youtubers will hate it... 20 videos on release saying it's great, but they won't buy it because of no mic jack.

I'd rather see a GX800 with a mic jack, PDAF, and the G100's IBIS (all electronic which wasn't that bad). I don't like viewfinders on small cameras as they "just get in the way." Instead, give me a smaller body and bigger battery with a mic jack and PDAF. I'll be happy with that. It also provides more contrast in their lineup.

• S1H ii - video oriented, ultimate IQ with all the bells and whistles, high price
  • S5 ii/iix- photo oriented, ulitimate IQ but not all the bells and whistles, bargain value
  • GH7- video oriented, ultimate IQ with a crop with all the bells and whistles, high crop sensor price
  • G9 ii- photo oriented, ulitimate IQ with a crop but not all the bells and whistles, decent crop sensor value
  • G100, GX9 ii, GX850 ii- small video and photo camera with value features and excellent value.

If they make anything that anywhere close to the G9 ii in terms of size, they'll turn off people who want a small camera. It needs to me sub 350g which is really hard. People will expect full-sensor readout, 60fps with PDAF.

The real question is how cool can they make the G9 ii sensor as thermals will be key and probably the determining factor of the camera size. I'm ok with a fan in such a small body, but increase the size of the battery please- 250 shot CIPA minimum.