A7C II - August 29 Announcement

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Another disappointing (to me) rear LCD resolution. 

Dealbreaker? Not sure but as someone who exclusively works off the rear LCD for stills and video, it’s something of importance to me.

The original camera intrigued me though being something of a fan of the rangefinderesque styling and this/these new one’s may be of interest…

1 hour ago, Django said:

..the real problem with these is going to be the severe overheating. A7IV already overheats in a full size Alpha body, these will toast faster than white bread.

Best then for peoples who are primarily stills and/or never shoots anything longer than snippets for TikTok/Snapchat

6 hours ago, Django said:

..the real problem with these is going to be the severe overheating. A7IV already overheats in a full size Alpha body, these will toast faster than white bread.

Could be interesting with the Tilta fan jobbie for heavier video use…but then begs the question why not just FX3?…but 12mp.

But these things are intended more for photo use with video capability rather than true hybrids.

I’m still on the fence between having hybrid units and dedicated units. Some days I’m a fan of having it all on one, but others happier having one thing in one hand and then switching to another unit rather than flipping a switch.

27 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Could be interesting with the Tilta fan jobbie for heavier video use…but then begs the question why not just FX3?…but 12mp.

But these things are intended more for photo use with video capability rather than true hybrids.

I’m still on the fence between having hybrid units and dedicated units. Some days I’m a fan of having it all on one, but others happier having one thing in one hand and then switching to another unit rather than flipping a switch.

On 8/10/2023 at 3:08 AM, MrSMW said:

Another disappointing (to me) rear LCD resolution. 

Dealbreaker? Not sure but as someone who exclusively works off the rear LCD for stills and video, it’s something of importance to me.

The original camera intrigued me though being something of a fan of the rangefinderesque styling and this/these new one’s may be of interest…

Hope your eyes are good. My X-S20 have a much better lcd than the X-S10 (1.6m x 1.0 mdots), I could see that the screen info is a bit sharper but...even with glasses, the image looks almost the same 😑

So in 2024 Sony will have 6 full frame cameras. 

3 rangefinders: FX3, A7CII, A7CR

3 full body: A1, A7S3, A7R5

FX3 aside, it is really hard to think that they will not cannibalize each other. 

Perhaps only Canon can keep up with this steamroller. And thank goodness the market seemed to be in a slump!

Poor Panasonic!

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah who the hell films outside sun 🌞  I guess everyone should only film indoors from now on, filming under sun is forbidden 🚫 

S5ii and FX30 with build in fan is probably the only camera that can film under full sun without overheating at this price range.

Screenshot_20230812-072349_YouTube.jpg

It's such a bummer how little these folks care about being honest with their viewers. They don't care as long as they can make a couple bucks off affiliate links. Whether it works or not doesn't matter to them. 

I feel bad when I recommend something to someone and it doesn't work out for them. Meanwhile these people do it to b hundreds, possibly thousands and laugh about it.

9 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Hope your eyes are good

Not great and getting worse every year.

Glasses wearer; varifocals for every day/work and reading glasses for editing.

Ideally I’d like laser at some point but not happening any time soon.

Lower light especially it really begins to deteriorate…

I am actually debating right now whether to go with the weight of a small monitoring screen for my principle video (S5ii) unit just because of this.

Never been a fan of rigging stuff out too much as a hybrid shooter but right now, I am more back in the camp of using my 3 units as:

Static/gimbal pure video

Roaming video

Stills plus occasional video

So having the biggest, brightest and most detailed rear LCD is quite important to me, mainly for the MF video side of things.

On 8/12/2023 at 2:25 AM, MrSMW said:

Not great and getting worse every year.

Glasses wearer; varifocals for every day/work and reading glasses for editing.

Ideally I’d like laser at some point but not happening any time soon.

Lower light especially it really begins to deteriorate…

I am actually debating right now whether to go with the weight of a small monitoring screen for my principle video (S5ii) unit just because of this.

Never been a fan of rigging stuff out too much as a hybrid shooter but right now, I am more back in the camp of using my 3 units as:

Static/gimbal pure video

Roaming video

Stills plus occasional video

So having the biggest, brightest and most detailed rear LCD is quite important to me, mainly for the MF video side of things.

Thinking about varifocals, how is your experience? And some glass lens recomendations?

(old guys derailing a thread...)

I just went to Specsavers, had an eye test, chose some rims and have carried on that pattern for the last few years.

Varifocals took some getting used to (as in days) but otherwise just seemed pretty normal after that.

Varifocals for driving and watching TV, doing general stuff plus photo/video.

Reading glasses for editing.

Rest of the time, out and about etc, my eyesight is still good enough!

Bit the bullet and ordered a 145 euro field monitor off Amazon, the Portkeys PT5ii.

Comes with a decent screen shade and has pretty decent reviews and is one of the smallest & lightest 5” monitors available.

Got to be better than a 3” rear LCD hasn’t it?

All it has to do is give me a clear almost 2x size image with my preview LUT and we’re good.

We’ll see how the screen shade works in super-bright sunlight but I don’t tend to shoot with the sun behind my back so should be OK right?

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Bit the bullet and ordered a 145 euro field monitor off Amazon, the Portkeys PT5ii.

Comes with a decent screen shade and has pretty decent reviews and is one of the smallest & lightest 5” monitors available.

Got to be better than a 3” rear LCD hasn’t it?

All it has to do is give me a clear almost 2x size image with my preview LUT and we’re good.

We’ll see how the screen shade works in super-bright sunlight but I don’t tend to shoot with the sun behind my back so should be OK right?

The monitor I use on the BMMCC has custom buttons which are super useful so I'd suggest getting familiar with those.  Considering your eyesight is the main challenge, a zoom-in function might be a good one to have quickly accessible.

Of course, the ergonomics of it in the rig and how to access the controls etc are another matter entirely.

On 8/13/2023 at 5:15 PM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Thinking about varifocals, how is your experience? And some glass lens recomendations?

(old guys derailing a thread...)

I've worn varifocals (every day) for longer than I can remember - at least 10 years.

As MrSMW said, the first time you wear them it takes a few days - at least - to adapt to them (and some people don't like/can't adapt to them). 

Personally I really like them and wouldn't have anything else now.

I always buy the varifocal lenses with the largest usable lens areas (near, mid, far) the optician offers - it  makes a big difference to the usability. They are often the most expensive but for something I use all day, every day I think it's worth it. Much better to spend the money on the lenses than expensive fancy frames, IMHO. It's like buying pro-grade camera zoom lenses versus kit zooms - the performance is less compromised.

Like MrSMW, I use the Specsavers chain in the UK - this is their guide to varifocals - https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/glasses-lenses/varifocals (I use their 'Tailor-made' lenses)

Note it's more critical for varifocal lenses to be positioned correctly in relation to the eye pupil than single-vision lenses, so make sure the optician adjusts the frames to suit you when you get them.