A7C II - August 29 Announcement

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I think it boils down to how much you really value the larger sensor. It's definitely one of those things that only you can answer if it's worth the extra money. I can see the argument for it, but me personally, it's hard to justify.

I like this framing.  As you’ve mentioned earlier the overheating seems to be tough to deal with. The a7cii seems to be fairly good with heat dissipation. 

if you can check Gerald’s video let me know you’re takeaway. 

About all these hot new cameras (pun intended): I agree that would be much better them to not overheat. And for me is intentional: it is segmentation.

For instance: the X-S20, the A6700 and both the new A7C have a plastic back panel, behind the LCD. If they really want to help dissipating heat, they could do a metal back panel. Specially in the Fuji case, where you can specifically put a fan there.

Panasonic also showed in the S5II that you can incorporate a discreet fan without raising the cost.

It is segmentation. Same thing with the LCD mechanism from the A7RV - solve one for all the tilt / flip debacle, should be standard for all new cameras. Fuji also made a similar solution with the XT100. But...want more, pay more.

If you want to pay less, you have to deal with the limitations. I could use my 1.0 liter car to tow a heavy trailer? For sure, but will not be a very good experience.

Not defending the manufacturers, but it is how it works in all markets. Will be this until someone breaks the mold and all need to follow.

On a side note about overheating.

On a underwater photo/video forum people were wondering about a underwater housing for the new ZV-E1. A user posted:

Anyone ever test the camera in warm water with either Nauticam or Ikelite housings? My a7siii & A74 overheat in video mode in about 10-15" using an Ikelite housing in >80º F waters.

Ikelite housings are made of Acrilic while other brands prefers aluminium with completely different results but you get the picture. It's like closing a toaster in a sealed plastic box.

2 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

About all these hot new cameras (pun intended): I agree that would be much better them to not overheat. And for me is intentional: it is segmentation.

For instance: the X-S20, the A6700 and both the new A7C have a plastic back panel, behind the LCD. If they really want to help dissipating heat, they could do a metal back panel. Specially in the Fuji case, where you can specifically put a fan there.

Panasonic also showed in the S5II that you can incorporate a discreet fan without raising the cost.

It is segmentation. Same thing with the LCD mechanism from the A7RV - solve one for all the tilt / flip debacle, should be standard for all new cameras. Fuji also made a similar solution with the XT100. But...want more, pay more.

If you want to pay less, you have to deal with the limitations. I could use my 1.0 liter car to tow a heavy trailer? For sure, but will not be a very good experience.

Not defending the manufacturers, but it is how it works in all markets. Will be this until someone breaks the mold and all need to follow.

Agree we’ll said 

3 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I don't mind manufacturers segmenting by price, in a way that's sort-of reasonable, as long as it doesn't go too far in the direction of being anti-competitive.  

The thing I mind is that they also segment on camera size.  If you want great image quality then the cameras just become unwieldy and attention-grabbing.  Modern technology makes everything smaller over time, but they ate up that size advantage with extra megapixels.

Of course, the elephant in the room with overheating is that it's caused by the blind pursuit of more and more pixels.  Of course, some people have convinced themselves of the "need" for more pixels, but the frilly pink dress that the elephant is wearing that no-one will discuss is that you can't see anything more than 720p (at best) on a smartphone, which is the primary viewing device for most of what is being filmed by these people.

2 hours ago, Davide DB said:

That's an interesting product.  Obviously you'd have to rig it up by adding a recorder, power solution, and some sort of control setup, but it's not too far off the "Blackmagic Box Camera" that so many people online seem to want.  

Depending on what controls are available, for example if there's a handle with these things integrated, then maybe paired with a recorder that can deliver power out, it might be a small setup.  

I'd also hazard a guess that as it's aimed at drones etc it might have more effective thermal management as the old logic of "just buy a proper cinema camera" doesn't really work.

Yes it's marketed as solution for drones, timelapse, science and industrial application.

Price and specs apart it covers a niche left by gopro long time ago.

Since the gopro removed the ability to control it by wire (long since only through BT and with a closed protocol) it has become increasingly difficult to use them for scientific purposes.

This one has the ability to shoot continuously at 3 FPS. Perfect for photogrammetry and the simple wire interface make it perfect gor affordable system integrations

Anyway, I apologize if I'm being a whiner and repeating myself again.
But I am truly impressed by Sony's Fire Power in the photographic market. At the height of the pandemic there were rumors that the market was about to collapse (I remember all the speculation when production of the A7C was suspended). That insane price increases would lead to the bubble bursting.

Now between Sony and Canon it is a race to introduce new models. Which is then the same HW, in automotive terms I would say it is the same platform, re-presented in N different forms.

And me as an idiot still checking the rumors to see if maybe in 2024 there will be a M43 Pana camera with PDAF. In the meantime Sony has revamped the whole fleet and at this rate maybe even two iterations.

Madness.

49 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

And me as an idiot still checking the rumors to see if maybe in 2024 there will be a M43 Pana camera with PDAF.

Or LIDAR..... as part of Panasonics partnership with DJI, which seems to be progressing, and works with manual focus lenses too.

Not a lot of AF anamorphics, and with Pannys support of anamorphics on MFT maybe that's the direction they'll go...