A7C II - August 29 Announcement

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/14/2023 at 4:56 PM, MrSMW said:

Bit the bullet and ordered a 145 euro field monitor off Amazon, the Portkeys PT5ii.

No real world gain for me. Adds weight/reduces portability, eats smaller NPF batteries or go for bigger one and add even more weight. So it's going back.

I tried it, but Plan B, back to using the rear screen.

S5ii, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 shooting S35 4k 50p (42-105 FF equiv) log with baked in Phantom LUT, VND, cage, side handle, Rode Micro, job done as my run & gun, total weight including Spider Holster attachment = 1.76kg which I find is about bang on for comfortable hand holding.

Which got me thinking...

Well not thinking as such because it's been swirling about in my head for a loooooooong time, but for stills, zoom vs higher megapixel sensor with primes, possibly with Topaz or DXO PureRaw to pull out every last bit of detail...

I'm running about currently with the S1H, battery grip, Leica 24-90 and the quality of output is superb...but it's 2.8kg or in old money, 6lbs 3 & 1/4 oz. More than 1kg/2lbs heavier than my primary video rig and well, it's just a bit OTT weight wise.

Seriously toying with something like a Sony A7RV or Nikon Z8, without additional battery grip, and going back to primes.

Or even Fuji or Hassy medium format and 100mp. Under 1kg, ergonomically great and can crop da fcuk out of those things.

Hasselblad X2D with the 38mm f2.5 and 90mm f2.5 hands down for me...but the cost... 🤔🤑

So my interest is back perked in not just an S1H replacement, but an 'S2R'.

Love me a 'rangefinderesque' body, but nothing of any real interest... And laser.

2 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

That guy…

He only regurgitates rumors he gets from other rumor places which get theirs from…??

Zero actual sources as far as I am aware.

I’d take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

Some rumors just by chance or even logic will be right, so odds are, sometimes these folks are right. But still just speculation normally…

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

That guy…

He only regurgitates rumors he gets from other rumor places which get theirs from…??

Zero actual sources as far as I am aware.

I’d take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

Some rumors just by chance or even logic will be right, so odds are, sometimes these folks are right. But still just speculation normally…

Agreed. Whatever the part of the brain is that makes us ruminate on things we’re interested in is a helluva piece of biology.  When I’m bored i gravitate toward this as im highly curious about the a7C II. 

As a non-pro im happy with my iPhone and Ricoh griiix for travel and family. But I’d like to have a second higher end kit to shoot my athletes running (video and photo) make educational documentaries and travel vids that have a “cinematic” look.   Internal LUTs are a big selling point to me as well as compact, great AF, and doesn’t easily overheat in my use cases.  Im done with Fuji till AF is as good as Panasonic or better.  Panasonics s5ii fits the bill but the system bill may deter me from using it so that leaves the r7/8, a6700/fx30, a7cII. Once released, I’ll be able to figure out if im going to have a higher end kit comprising 1 hybrid camera or a kit comprised of fx30 for video and a used a7C or a6600 for action photo and travel. Being an over thinker and ruminator I feel I’m in some good company here!

• 2 weeks later...

2 deal-breakers for me, as expected.

Rear LCD. Nah.

Single card slot. Nah.

Does make the A7RV an even more interesting option and looking ever more tempting for mainly stills, occasional B/C roll video.

Compact, relatively lightweight, has the lens options I actually want, can crop considerably so do away with any/all chunky zooms such as 70-200 etc.

Whether I’d go all in with Sony is another matter but the dark side has some allure with the pairing of FX3 and FX30 for video work…

Patience Grasshopper. When L Mount reveal their hand, I will make my decision…but that in itself is time limited because the next ‘whatever’ needs to be in my hands end of March 2024 no delays or hiccups…

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

seems like it has most of the same overheating issues as the a6700. 

Should we be surprised?

A: It’s Sony

B: These little bodies without fans or cooling are going to wilt compared to others with air con. Like Lumix.

I get it that some want a single dinky camera that can do it all but the reality is that there’s always a compromise somewhere.

And don’t I know it as someone chasing that very thing…but accepting it’s tricky to say the least.

I think there is a very obvious solution, but it comes down to budget and having 2 bodies. With this size and type of body.

As I mentioned above, I really want to like the R version as it ticks so many boxes for me. But for stills only, ie, I would not buy it for video other than occasional hybrid use in a pinch.

The other one would’’t interest me for stills (because the R exists) and nor for video because the FX30 exists.

The 6700 to me also falls into that category of doesn’t suit my needs but would make sense for those who value the most compact kit and keep it all APSC.

Then there is the Z one whatever it’s called (so many in the Sony family I suspect they have issues with birth control) which kind of sits between the 6000 line and the A7C line…

Pick of the bunch for me is that pairing of A7CR plus FX30, but then may as well get the cheaper (single unit and lens compared with at minimum, 2 bodies and 2 lenses) and better A7RV.

In fact, I’d go as far and say that right now, other than my Lumix wishes/requirement’s for the next 6 months, it’s the leading contender and has leapfrogged the Nikon Z8/9 not just as a body, but for the entire ecosystem of lens options.

The ONLY real question I have is would I enjoy using it… I enjoyed my Nikons, my Fuji X cameras and mostly, my current Lumix, but less so the various Sony’s I have had. But to be fair, they were compacts and bridge cameras.

He sits. He waits. He watches. He contemplates…

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 but the FF 28-70mm works really well on APSC becoming an equivalent 42-105 without the bulk and weight of a FF 24-70, never mind an actual 24-105 on a FF body.

Other than Fuji, I’m not sure I could go back to APSC, for stills/work, but with something like the 40mp XT5, maybe…

For video, quite happy shooting crop, especially if shooting different bodies as I currently am.

And that is the appeal of something like these new Sony’s…

I used to shoot Fuji X Pro2 as my main stills workhorses loving the form factor with primes.

One of my options is to go back to that and these new cameras have a lot of appeal…except that lack of 2 card slots and I’m used to 2.1 million dot rear LCD’s…

Now if Lumix, Leica or Sigma was to pop out a rangefinderesque body of 60mp…

OK, Sigma already does with it’s FP-L and it’s build and form factor are my ideal…but it otherwise falls apart for me after that with; no IBIS, no tilt screen, no twin card slots, Banding City indoors due to it’s electronic only shutter 😏