Leica SL3 / S2H and current S1H bargains

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I had a tip off by a man who should know, that a certain Leica SL3 is coming in March next year, which will be a huge updated based on Panasonic's latest tech, which means we should see an S2H or S1H II whatever it will be called before then, perhaps even this year. The S1 and S1R will get an update too, so not long to wait for some excitement in Panasonic land.

By the way I just noticed that WEX in the UK have an S1H for £1399, which is simply ridiculous.

This was a 4 grand camera when it came out and is Netflix standard!!

It is amazing how the market punishes Panasonic for such a high quality piece of kit.

In fact I felt sorry for it and bought it. Autofocus be damned.

The S2H is sure to have PDAF but will it be an 8K overkill monster and lose some of the low light creaminess that the S1H is well known for? That is the question.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good man. It’s great to see charity still exists 😉

Otherwise, I have my fingers and toes crossed that Lumix pull one out.

The photographer purist in me would ideally like a Leica, but let’s be honest, the equivalent Lumix does something like 99-120% for less than 50% the price, so realistically, my Leica will be a Lumix.

So right now, I have a pair of S5ii’s. They are near perfect for my needs other than in 2 areas…

Cropped 50p in 4k and no 50p 6k.

Shutter sound. It’s not damped like my beloved S1H and as 50% of my work is photo, that of the S5ii makes me wince.

S1H is ergonomically perfect IMO and for my needs, simply lacks uncropped open gate 6k 50p. Give me that and I’m done.

There isn’t anything else I want or need other than if it was a bit lighter, I would not complain.

Rival? I’d struggle to see past a Z8 but I’d like to see Sigma bring out a sequel to the FP/FP-L because potentially they have the most interesting camera of all time there if they got that right…

"Autofocus be damned" pt. II: 

It's more $$ but the DJI/Panny partnership is interesting and the SH1 is the DJI LiDAR test horse. Hopefully that system develops a rail-mounted focus motor to bypass the need for using a gimbal.

I mean, I would use it on a gimbal (although I would prefer to not have to upgrade to an RS Pro3) but it would be grand to have a system for handheld work as well.

Everyone's notes about image and shutter of the S1H/S1 series is compelling to me. Whenever I hear the "KLATCH" of my S5, I shudder and wish I brought my heftier S1 instead.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:00 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I had a tip off by a man who should know, that a certain Leica SL3 is coming in March next year, which will be a huge updated based on Panasonic's latest tech, which means we should see an S2H or S1H II whatever it will be called before then, perhaps even this year. The S1 and S1R will get an update too, so not long to wait for some excitement in Panasonic land.

By the way I just noticed that WEX in the UK have an S1H for £1399, which is simply ridiculous.

This was a 4 grand camera when it came out and is Netflix standard!!

It is amazing how the market punishes Panasonic for such a high quality piece of kit.

The S2H is sure to have PDAF but will it be an 8K overkill monster and lose some of the low light creaminess that the S1H is well known for? That is the question.

I wanted that one, was patiently waiting for Wex to offer one of those 10% off clearance codes they sometimes do. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m hoping to wake up one morning to find that my YouTube feed is stuffed full of embargo lifted first reviews of the new S2H/S2R pairing.

Every fcuking morning Lumix….

To be fair, the S5ii’s are doing just fine in their roles but I need news re. what I am going to do about replacing my previous S1R’s and current S1H for stills.

AF is the Achilles to my heel…

The non-PDAF units are just a little ‘early days of Fuji X’ hit & miss.

Flipping back to using the S5ii’s as hybrid units for the remaining 7 jobs of the season as the S1H is missing maybe 5-10% and that is 5-10% too much.

Or as previously, Leica or Sigma can throw me a bone also, but it needs to be PDAF going forward as sideways or backwards is not my thing.

Any time now would be good…

@MrSMWYour dreams could possibly come true in any way regarding the ultimate hybrid as Panny (not me:) has filed a patent for an electronic ND in a S1H like camera body.

Funny enough, your love for the S1H made me get one myself last week as I did not fall for my S1, which I will sell. S1H was a short but instant love when I held one in my hand three years ago. And your perspective on the camera left its marks on me as well. Now owning one myself I must say, indeed, it's a beautiful camera. On/Off switch is a bit of an akward design choice. I was hoping to find a 2x Digizoom for video like on the GH5 or GX85 ( which one can get for 250 USD used btw). But no luck as of now with a cropped mft mode.

Anyway, that ND patent appears to promise an extraordinary video dream machine. FF 60p, electronic ND, Pdaf and Dual Gain sensor with Oplf would make this an ultimate video beast. We will see. Check out the German test site slashcam for the news and see yourself and wonder.:)

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

And your perspective on the camera left its marks on me as well. Now owning one myself I must say, indeed, it's a beautiful camera

Glad I helped someone spend their money 😉

But seriously it is ‘the best’ camera I have had to date.

I would just prefer it now if it had PDAF and more megapixels for the stills side of my work.

It doesn’t need to be 8k as 6k would be more than enough for me as long as it is ideally FF at 50p. And if open gate, even better.

Internal ND welcome, but not a dealbreaker.

I’d settle for everything the same and just phase plus even 30mp.

I reckon it will be more than that because to be competitive in marketing terms and therefore sales, it will have to compete on the camera arms race.

10 hours ago, ntblowz said:

The Leica Q3 should be pretty good indication what SL3 and S2H will be, high resolution 8K monster with pdaf

Quite possibly.

Would that be an S2H spec or an S2R?

Or are we going to see what was/is 3 bodies become 2?

Personally, I’d rather see 1, but modular as in you can pick and choose various spec options to order.

I don’t know if that is feasible though. Probably not…

The ergos, handling and sheer difference between the S1R and S2H was pretty annoying…

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 1:00 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I read a report somewhere recently I think direct from Lumix saying it would not be going the 8k route.

So I guess ‘developing’ 6k.

Maybe a bit like Fuji not competing with ‘mainstream’ full-frame, but fighting on the sides with APSC and medium format, Lumix is going to buck the norm and do it’s own thing?

Which could be great?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 10:10 PM, ntblowz said:

The Leica Q3 should be pretty good indication what SL3 and S2H will be, high resolution 8K monster with pdaf.

The 8K is cropped and rolling shutter is horrendous on that sensor (also being used in the A7RV, Sigma Fp L, etc.).
The outgoing R5 is a lot more capable. If Canon really puts a stacked sensor in the R5 Mark Il, it will pull way ahead as a high MP hybrid camera.

Panasonic will not sure a sensor like this in an S2H.
With the SL3 being more focused on stills, it is acceptable, but not a big departure from the SL2.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:00 AM, Andrew Reid said:

This possibly could have been my S1H which I traded in at Wex for an S5 iix a month or two earlier 😄

They paid me £1310 which seemed terrible, but i did get £300 off the S5 as part of the deal

7 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

They didn't make much profit on it then!

They must regretted paying me that much, I noticed a few days later when I rechecked their quotes for trading in an S1H (out of interest) they were offering less. Of course it could have been a different S1H but the prices definitely dropped quickly around that time

I actually got more money trading in with Wex (taking into account their trade in offer) than I would have got on ebay

• 5 months later...

The SL3 is released - https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-sl3-initial-review

From the review:

The Leica SL3 is a 60MP DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera built around Leica's L-mount. It brings a lot of technology from the Leica M11 models but also features a radically redesigned interface.

Key specifications

60MP BSI CMOS sensor

5-axis in-body image stabilization rated at 5.0EV

ISO 50-100,000 (base ISO 100)

Hybrid phase/contrast-detect autofocus

Eye/face/body and animal detection AF

DCI 8K video in H.265, 1080p in ProRes all with no time limits

5.76M dot OLED EVF with up to 120fps refresh

2.33M dot tilting rear touchscreen

4fps 14-bit shooting with AF, 5fps in 12-bit mode, up to 15fps, 12-bit with focus and exposure locked at first frame.

The Leica SL3 is available immediately at a recommended price of $6995. This is a $1000 increase over the price of 2019's SL2, though inflation means this is lower in real terms.

Video modes:

8192 x 4320 @ 30p / 300 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM

8192 x 4320 @ 25p / 300 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM

8192 x 4320 @ 24p / 300 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM

8192 x 4320 @ 23.98p / 300 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM

7680 x 4320 @ 30p / 300 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM

7680 x 4320 @ 25p / 300 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM

7680 x 4320 @ 24p / 300 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM

7680 x 4320 @ 23.98p / 300 Mbps, MOV, H.265, Linear PCM

7680 x 4320 @ 30p / 300 Mbps, MP4, H.265, AAC

7680 x 4320 @ 25p / 300 Mbps, MP4, H.265, AAC

7680 x 4320 @ 23.98p / 300 Mbps, MP4, H.265, AAC

4096 x 2160 @ 60p / 600 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

4096 x 2160 @ 50p / 600 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

4096 x 2160 @ 48p / 600 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

4096 x 2160 @ 30p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

4096 x 2160 @ 25p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

4096 x 2160 @ 24p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

4096 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 600 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 600 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

3840 x 2160 @ 48p / 600 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

3840 x 2160 @ 24p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 400 Mbps, MOV, H.264, Linear PCM

3840 x 2160 @ 60p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

3840 x 2160 @ 50p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

3840 x 2160 @ 30p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

3840 x 2160 @ 25p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

3840 x 2160 @ 23.98p / 100 Mbps, MP4, H.264, AAC

...plus FHD modes

The main + points for me are:

60mp = great ability to crop and even in APSC mode, that’s still a more detailed 26mp file compared with a FF 24mp.

Tilt screen. Yay. Not a flippy flappy. Double yay.

Smaller & lighter. More yays.

PDAF = yay.

The negative points for me = €7k (but bodes well for something similar around 1/2 the price from Lumix?) and no option for anything like either of the following;

Canon’s 24-105mm f2.8

Tamron’s 70-180mm f2.8

A lens similar to either of these is THE fundamental weak spot for me with L Mount.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

A lens similar to either of these is THE fundamental weak spot for me with L Mount.

I realize you like your Tamrons, but I imagine, being a rather open mount, we'll see a lot more. Anything Samyang, Tamron, or other will probably come out on L-mount. No reason why they wouldn't.

I saw the Petapixel video. In low light, the AF was probably in contrast AF only mode- lots of jitters in the bokeh.

53 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I imagine, being a rather open mount, we'll see a lot more

I would hope so but possibly/probably too late for me as I don’t have the luxury of waiting to find out as I need to work this year, last year and the year before within the system.

I’m not being in any way facetious John as I am sure you will appreciate, but it doesn’t help with most/any manufacturers in this industry who play their cards quite close to their chests before suddenly announcing, “ ta da, our latest lens”.

Brand specific strategic planning isn’t always easy when you have such specific needs as I have!

Did I make a mistake going L Mount?

Kind of, but then there weren’t any other real viable alternatives at that time…but at the same time, any/all could provide what I needed, but it’s really only in the last couple of years that the really niche items that work for me, have come into existence.

A long, relatively lightweight and compact at least APSC, but preferably FF fast zoom. Tamron E Mount. Only player on the planet!

There’s workarounds of course, but it’s complicated and niggles with every system and combo, but E Mount adapted to Nikon Z is I think, a bit special. For my needs.

I’m happy with all my kit for 2024. It is easily the best set up I have ever had. EASILY.

Could it be better?

On paper spec-wise maybe but not by much and for me going forward and making any changes for 2025 and onward, it would have to be because it is at least; smaller, lighter, even more ergo friendly and without sacrificing any performance…and possibly gaining some.

Such as my interest in 60mp+ sensors and 6k 50p internal, because that opens up opportunities to carry less bodies, smaller and lighter lenses, compensating with cropping and pulling stills from video.

Leica SL3? In my dreams… The simple reality is the maths doesn’t work even if I had the beans…and a crucial lens is still missing from that line up.

S2H could change things, but the glass for me will always be the sticking point for me with L Mount in the future. Or rather the combo of bodies and lenses.