5 concerning trends in photo/video forums

Eric Calabros

On 8/16/2023 at 3:57 PM, ntblowz said:

$60 an hour for fruit picker during the lockdown, that was good money ๐Ÿ˜†

https://www.stuff.co.nz/bay-of-plenty/300551480/60-an-hour-to-pick-fruit-kiwifruit-industry-desperate-for-workers

I've done fruit picking for a hot second way back ages ago during a summer break when I was a uni student, you'll need to pay me more than $60/hr to go back to do that again!! (also, "$60/hour" is a bit of a lie... unless you're skilled and very fast at it, then you won't earn that much! While if you can't and you struggle, you could find yourself earning less thanย minimum wage)ย 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony camerasย EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

- Price: Buy it from Apple here is out of question - the Mac Mini M2 price is almost 140% higher than in US (yep, you see it right, 140%). From another channels, I could get it for a 100% increase. In fact, is MUCH cheaper to get a round trip ticket plane from Brazil to USA and buy the computer...
ย 

For me I buy the camera while I was in Oz because plane ticket + accomondation + camera is the same price as buying camera locally, might as well enjoy myself with a little trip and the camera lol.

• Administrators

Just to get back on topic...

The trend isn't limited to photo, video or filmmaking forums, it's all forums...

A friend recently reminisced how he used to talk to fans of his favourite band online all the time and do meet-ups.

The band's unofficial forum was a hub for this, but now it doesn't even exist.

It is just people on a Facebook group now, posting pics and pressing like.

This is due to smartphones and the fact they lack a proper keyboard for longer form content and interactions.

Plus a few social media apps have replaced .com websites.

Hope to see a reversal of it as this is not using the internet to its true potential.

People should put the phone down and get back online via a laptop or desktop machine instead!

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It is just people on a Facebook group now, posting pics and pressing like.

This is due to smartphones and the fact they lack a proper keyboard for longer form content and interactions.

Had a Telegram channel for political commentary. I only used smartphone to type posts, many of them so long that exceeded Telegram character limit. After a while I realized if I write shorter comments and post them as caption of a photo, it will be reshared many times more! I knew pictures are more popular than text, but the thing that shocked me was that this happened in my channel, which was all about politics! Cause I assumed those few people in society, at least, who are interested in boring political discussions, are disciplined enough to not show general facebook user behavior. But I was wrong.ย 

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hope to see a reversal of it as this is not using the internet to its true potential.

People should put the phone down and get back online via a laptop or desktop machine instead!

I remember when voice dictation was going to free us all from having to manually press an array of buttons thousands of times to communicate anything, but then it just.. ย didn't. ย In theory, phones are perfectly suited to this, considering voice recognition is built-in and the keyboards are so bad, but it seems that people just go for shorter communication rather than switching modes.

I guess with phones it is a bit strange to talk to one when you're out in public or in a shared space like the office / cafe / bathroom / etc.

Maybe we need those throat-mounted microphones that black-ops soldiers have?

11 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Had a Telegram channel for political commentary. I only used smartphone to type posts, many of them so long that exceeded Telegram character limit. After a while I realized if I write shorter comments and post them as caption of a photo, it will be reshared many times more! I knew pictures are more popular than text, but the thing that shocked me was that this happened in my channel, which was all about politics! Cause I assumed those few people in society, at least, who are interested in boring political discussions, are disciplined enough to not show general facebook user behavior. But I was wrong.ย 

I suspect concision is a real factor online, especially for complex topics like politics or film-making. ย https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concision_(media_studies)

Here on these forums we have a culture that is somewhat tolerant to dissenting opinions, but the burden of proof is definitely put on the person with the contrarian position, and requires either a large amount of typing or a very advanced understanding of the subject combined with extremely well developed written communication skills.

I suspect in other platforms like Telegram / Discord / Facebook / etc even the people with both of these probably can't be bothered.

I suspect that a primary problem with fora is that over time they become too one-sided, narrow minded and restrictive. Reduser doesnโ€™t tolerate criticism - it would be fabulous to engage in (and learn from) genuine debate about braw vs. redcode etc. But that canโ€™t happen because anyone who extols the virtues of braw will undoubtably be met with hostility. Here, it possibly isnโ€™t a great idea to discuss Bloomโ€™s reviews - why not? They are often informative and entertaining. Butโ€ฆ Fora tend to become echo chambers and new, different or dissenting voices leave (voluntarily or otherwise). I fear that the majority of users go to their forum of choice (photo, automobile, hifi, whisky etc.) simply to have their views (or buying choice) reinforced and validated. Lots of us remember interesting (?), useful (?) or controversial (?) contributions from those who are no longer here. We might not have agreed with or liked or even understood them (young Zachโ€ฆ) but they presenting a range of opinion to keep things lively. And why donโ€™t the โ€œexpertsโ€ (eg JB and, yes, even PB) pop in from time to time to share and discuss ideas? This space manages to retain neutrality with respect to brands and I think that is possibly unique. But - and without being deliberately critical - it has also driven people away. Why?ย 
Personally Iโ€™d like to see Andrew promote a topic of the month - eg โ€œdoes 8 or 10 bit really matter?โ€ and let a thoughtful, knowledgable and informative debate develop. And develop without being lost in โ€œwhat camera should I use/buy?โ€ or similar posts. Or a discussion about audio options at relevant and appropriate prices and level or expertise. The forum then becomes a place of genuine learning and debate not simply an exchange of opinions. But perhaps I miss the pointโ€ฆ

On 8/13/2023 at 5:06 PM, Ilkka Nissila said:

I think the problem originates from photography (and video) being originally quite difficult to do technically so that when there is a really good photo or short movie, it was viewed with excitement, and people gathered around online to celebrate such things and try to learn the craft themselves. Online forums were quite active

@SnowfunI miss the many of our friends, the other Zak too that would be @Zak Forsman .:) On this forum I answered two questions lately to a member but never got a reply back. I the long run I might start to shy away from answering again. It' s the sum of small and bigger things draining on forums and members. Missig Zak F who made a commercially successful feature with a GH4! Miss so many other cool people. We can only try to make it better than we have been doing the last two years. But then, I think many of us have done close to their best. Also, it stands with what the owners of the forums can do timewise and regarding their own benefits in order to keep up motivation and keep the creative drive with the forum.

It is very true, like Ilka in this thread stated, that the sheer wonder of the first large sensor Dslms kept enough steam running for these forums. That novum is gone. And so the wonder and appreciation regarding quality videos with these machines. But I am just repeating what you already said just perfectly @Ilkka Nissila

9 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

On this forum I answered two questions lately to a member but never got a reply back

Was it a new member asking which camera to buy because if so, those guys rarely respond and usually are never heard from again?!

50 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Was it a new member asking which camera to buy because if so, those guys rarely respond and usually are never heard from again?!

Hey:) No, it was not a new member, not at all.:) Communication with forum friends is one if the key elements of forums. Answering questions is more fun with a response. Otherwise, effort and involvement go into a one way road, a rather joyless path.

On 8/21/2023 at 10:02 PM, Snowfun said:

This space manages to retain neutrality with respect to brands and I think that is possibly unique. But - and without being deliberately critical - it has also driven people away

Everything can drive people away these days. Either admins try to micromanage behavior of everybody to keep it nice and clean, or just let it run like chaotic village, as Elon is doing (and fails at it). Among 10 forums or online groups that I'm even a "veteran member", I only feel free to write my uncensored opinion in just 3 of them. And it was yesterday. Today is 2, cause another one banned me.

As someone from the depths of third world I see western people take personal attack too seriously, to the point that now everything can be personal atack. Since the days I was 15 I've been a active "hot take" user in a lot of social networks and forums popular in my country, and I don't remember a single day without being the target of verbal personal attacks. But its ok, and sometimes fun. Some of my long time online friends who helped me alot in a vast range of technical and personal issues, are the ones who actively engaged in our mutual habit of insulting each other. Our culture has a mich higher tolerance for that. I'm not saying its good. I'm saying its natural. We're spending too much time and effort to create safe spaces, but its a forever war. It will never be safe enough. Why not make individuals less fragile? There was a polymath in my country, four hundred years ago I think, I forgot the guy's name.. who was interested to join peasant gatherings in poor neighborhoods of the city. Imagine a place like an irish pub, but with middle east culture. One day a group of his students criticized this almost weekly routine and said to the man these people are a bunch uneducated low life idiots who can't talk about anything without using filthy words, why you, a wise man with high social status let yourself be seen assoiciated with them? Its not good for your reputation and your mental health. Stop it. He said: I'm diamond and they're glass. I have effect on them, but they have no effect on me.

Sorry that I made it a bit philosophical ๐Ÿ˜‚