Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Lenses - Sticky Topic

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, noone said:

Not so sure that is correct.     My FD 85 1.2 L was made AFTER some of the first version EF 85 1.2 L lenses were I am pretty sure.     I think there was a couple of years overlap.     EF mount started in 1987 and the last FD camera was introduced in 1992 with lenses made for a few years after that it seems.     

Basic business Return On Investment rationale would suggest that they stop production of lenses that are no longer profitable, or they think are making less money than if they forced people to buy the newer mount.

I'd imagine some lenses would be stopped immediately and might only have been in production for completeness of the lineup or other strategic reasons, and others would gradually dwindle until it was in their interests to just stop the whole EF lineup altogether, but they might be continuing to make the classic EF lenses for some time.  For example I'd imagine that the 24-70 f2.8 and equivalents might be pretty popular and even if no new customers were getting into the system, there might be enough pros dropping them or wearing them out that there would be a steady demand.

One thing that amazes me is that productions can have a movie budget of millions of dollars for a film and not think much of it, and then they talk about crash cameras or various other equipment getting destroyed and my brain kind of twinges with the thought that someone would buy something like a Sigma FP or other equally capable camera and deliberately destroy it, but that's the economics of the situation.  and that means that even if camera ownership doesn't go up, for every time that happens, a new one much be manufactured and sold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can anyone help me decided between two lenses?

I'm looking for a portrait lens and use Fuji X and MFT mount cameras. I also have speed boosters to Canon EF for both systems. So I can't decided whether to go with the Viltrox 85mm for the Fuji and limit it's use to one system, or get Canon 85mm f1.8 USM and have more flexibility.

I assume the AF on the Viltrox will be much better than an adapted lens - but the adapted Canon will become f1.2 and it'll be basically full frame on the Fuji, which is of course very tempting. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Canon will give you way more flexibility and not to throw any more angst into the decision ;) but if you did choose that path then I'd also be tempted to look at a used Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM for roughly the same money. 

Its not one of their ART range but its still very sharp (moreso on a speedbooster) and you'll be gaining another stop over the Canon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Hmmm. good idea! In theory then, on the fuji I'll have an f1.0 85mm full frame image?

 

Yes, its practically night vision ;) 

Samyang do an AF version of their 85 1.4 as well but the reviews have been a bit mixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Anaconda_ didn't you recently buy a Canon zoom? If so, the Canon 85mm 1.8 may match better.

I briefly had the lens and it is really nice, especially for the money. I ended up selling it because I don't use the focal length that often. Here's a shot from my film with it to give you an idea...

98A9F835-765F-4BC2-B724-1096C9A33C5D.thumb.jpeg.4850912c9ab1978e30265993d533ba4c.jpeg

With that said, I've heard great things about the EX Sigma as well. Their 50mm from that line is supposed to be excellent as well, so you could build an inexpensive f/1.4 set eventually.

I believe they also have a 20mm, 24mm and 28mm at f/1.8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mercer said:

I've heard great things about the EX Sigma as well.

That actually highlights a potential problem. I had and loved the EX 30mm f1.4 - however had to ditch it because the focus ring got really stiff. 

The problem is, the 30mm is not a FF lens. Is the EX 85mm FF? I assume so since i figure you had it on a 5D - but where you using a crop mode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

The problem is, the 30mm is not a FF lens. Is the EX 85mm FF? I assume so since i figure you had it on a 5D - but where you using a crop mode?

I never had the Sigma 85mm, that shot is from the Canon 85mm 1.8. Of course, it looks different on eoshd than it does on my computer screen, so it's probably not a good representation.

Anyway, the Sigma 85mm is full frame.

Side note... I believe the Art 30mm 1.4 just barely covers a full frame sensor with slight vignetting. I think BTM confirmed this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kye said:

Basic business Return On Investment rationale would suggest that they stop production of lenses that are no longer profitable, or they think are making less money than if they forced people to buy the newer mount.

I'd imagine some lenses would be stopped immediately and might only have been in production for completeness of the lineup or other strategic reasons, and others would gradually dwindle until it was in their interests to just stop the whole EF lineup altogether, but they might be continuing to make the classic EF lenses for some time.  For example I'd imagine that the 24-70 f2.8 and equivalents might be pretty popular and even if no new customers were getting into the system, there might be enough pros dropping them or wearing them out that there would be a steady demand.

 

Canon (probably most makers) often makes lenses in batches (especially the ones that do not sell in huge numbers) so might not have made some FD lenses for some time before they stopped altogether but others would have been made for years after introduction.     Remember, they introduced a NEW model FD camera in 1992 so they would not have stopped FD lens production at the time they did that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mercer said:

Anyway, the Sigma 85mm is full frame.

Side note... I believe the Art 30mm 1.4 just barely covers a full frame sensor with slight vignetting. I think BTM confirmed this.

Ah great. 

30mm 1.4 had pretty bad vignette on a 6d I once put it on. Bad enough that I took it straight off without even clicking the shutter. 

The Sigma 85mm seems hard to find around these parts. I think I’ll grab whatever comes my way for the best price.

It’s nice to have options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@noone According to Ken Rockwell, the Canon FD 50mm 1.2 L was discontinued in '88 which is a year after the introduction of EF. Of course, I know Canon released some EF L lenses pretty quickly so that may be why they discontinued the 50mm but I rarely see any nFD lenses that are newer than '86.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Ah great. 

30mm 1.4 had pretty bad vignette on a 6d I once put it on. Bad enough that I took it straight off without even clicking the shutter. 

The Sigma 85mm seems hard to find around these parts. I think I’ll grab whatever comes my way for the best price.

It’s nice to have options. 

I shoot 2:35, so I think the vignetting is minimal.

You're right, I rarely see the Sigma 85mm EX for sale on eBay. Do you need the AF? The Samyang 85mm is a nice lens that can be had for pretty cheap. I have the 50mm and love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 hours ago, noone said:

Not so sure that is correct.     My FD 85 1.2 L was made AFTER some of the first version EF 85 1.2 L lenses were I am pretty sure.     I think there was a couple of years overlap.     EF mount started in 1987 and the last FD camera was introduced in 1992 with lenses made for a few years after that it seems.     

it is going back a while, i had just picked up a t90 not long after that canon announced that they were no longer going to make fd lenses, there may of very well been an overlap my mind tends to compress time as it goes backward 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mercer said:

@noone According to Ken Rockwell, the Canon FD 50mm 1.2 L was discontinued in '88 which is a year after the introduction of EF. Of course, I know Canon released some EF L lenses pretty quickly so that may be why they discontinued the 50mm but I rarely see any nFD lenses that are newer than '86.

 

That may well be the case for the 50 1.2L as that is a lens that would not have sold in huge numbers (there are many on Ebay but not really compared to other lenses)  so they likely made it in batches and had enough in stock to meet the demand (I wish I had noted when mine was made before selling it).      Looking at other forums around the net, I see some people have FD lenses made as late as 1994 for a 100 f2 and 1993 for  80-200 f4 L and 50 3.5 macro.     The rare FD 200 1.8 was not even produced until November 1989  a couple of years AFTER the EF mount had begun and it seems there was a five year overlap period from FD to EF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New special stuff:

Petzval 80.5mm f/1.9 II (Bokeh control, filmmaker friendly focus/clickless aperture rings):

IGA VLEV HELIOS 'Stormtrooper' white:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 1:16 PM, Cinegain said:

New special stuff:

Petzval 80.5mm f/1.9 II (Bokeh control, filmmaker friendly focus/clickless aperture rings):

IGA VLEV HELIOS 'Stormtrooper' white:

Looks a lot better in black!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...