Fuji X-H2S

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I analyzed the raw data in the DNG converted from ProRes RAW and now I know exactly how it's messed up.

I adjusted my tool and I think I have a working fix now. It fixes the raw data itself, so the result will be perfect in every software that reads DNG.

Before (see the broken line in the middle):

before.thumb.jpg.0881eb38d4a55fbed0e2b51d6fb4fd40.jpg

After:

after.thumb.jpg.c0bf1d0bf6325392b2026168c782a859.jpg

I'm still testing my tool, it can read 12/16bit DNG, uncompressed, or lossless compressed, the lossy formats are not supported. It uses multiple threads, on my recent i7 laptop it converts with 25-35fps.
It's a pain to convert twice but at least I got it working, and learned a bit of C++ on the way.
If only I could fix the framerate issue as well, but no chance for that.

On 4/4/2023 at 9:40 AM, Daniel Robben said:

What about BRAW. Does it have the same half line shift issue in 6.2k?

Also in general: BRAW/Video Assist no alternative? What are the pros and cons vs prores raw atomos? Just different workflows?

I could only download one example which did not have it but I don't want to base my opinion on one example only. Does anyone have downloadable 6.2k BRAW from the X-H2s?
However people already confirmed to me that BRAW also has the stuttering issue so it's definitely a Fuji problem.

In general I would prefer ProRes RAW since it's true raw in a sense that it's needs the same processing as a common raw file after it's decompressed. BRAW seems to be more processed with slightly less color detail, but I believe you'll only see it when pixel peeping. The obvious difference is that BRAW works in Resolve, which is a big plus given how large these files are, it can be a pain to convert ProRes RAW.
But anyway both of them are unusable at the moment, I have a feeling that we only have raw for marketing reasons in this body. With the current issues and less DR it's garbage.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fed up with Atomos, I wasted a huge amount of time doing tests for them for the stuttering issue in ProRes RAW. They didn't even try to replicate it. I reported the problem at the 8th of February, since then I provided tons of test material. And where are we now? They still think it's my unit, or my SSD or my HDMI cable even when I told them I tested with multiple units, multiple cables and SSDs. Unbelievable.
In the meantime some other guy asked BlackMagic about the same issue (so apparently this is related the the X-H2s), and they sent it to their engineering team right away, they reproduced it and notified Fujifilm about it. HUGE difference between the two supports. Seriously, even Fuji is better than Atomos, because they don't reply at all, so you won't waste your time with them 🙂

@Attila Bakos Sorry to hear that and it does sound like they are trying to deflect actual testing but if the problem comes from XH2S, then surely it isn't really Atomos's responsibility but rather Fuji's to provide a fix? In any case shame to hear RAW is pretty much unusable in this cam.. especially considering it is the only way to circumvent the heavy processing and Xtrans CFA issues.

7 minutes ago, Django said:

@Attila Bakos Sorry to hear that and it does sound like they are trying to deflect actual testing but if the problem comes from XH2S, then surely it isn't really Atomos's responsibility but rather Fuji's to provide a fix? In any case shame to hear RAW is pretty much unusable in this cam.. especially considering it is the only way to circumvent the heavy processing and Xtrans CFA issues.

Without testing it's hard to say who's responsibility it is 🙂 Of course now I know that it happens in the Video Assist as well, it's clear that it's Fuji's fault, but I didn't know that for a long time, neither did they, yet their effort was as low as possible.

• 11 months later...

Why?  I have version 6 on my X-H2S that I use to video birds.The tracking AF for video in version 6 does not work any better than subject detect in the previous firmware.  In fact, I find it to be a PITA.  With my eye to eyecup I have to use the joystick to select the subject.  Version 6 still loses the tracked subject and goes OOF.  Why?  Because it is essentially the same autofocus algorithm that does not work well for subject detect.

These folks have had years to perfect their phase detect autofocus and two years with the X-H2S.  But it is still the lack of video autofocus performance we have come to expect from FujiFilm.  Not certain why this is the case.  Is it lack of technical skill from the autofocus team?  If it is, then they should be terminated.  Maybe there are issues with X-Trans and this is the best they can do.  If that's the case this is a management issue.  All I can tell you is that Fuji is yet to figure out video autofocus.  At this time there should be no more excuses.