Jump to content

The Batman


MrSMW
 Share

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i was happy enough to see dune on the big screen. However to be honest, i'm a bit blasé with all the batman / spiderman remakes. I realize its hard o come up with novel material and i do enjoy them for two hours of entertainment value, but it seems alot like groundhog day to me.  

glad you enjoyed it but i reckon i'll wait for the dvd to come out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, leslie said:

i was happy enough to see dune on the big screen. However to be honest, i'm a bit blasé with all the batman / spiderman remakes. I realize its hard o come up with novel material and i do enjoy them for two hours of entertainment value, but it seems alot like groundhog day to me.  

glad you enjoyed it but i reckon i'll wait for the dvd to come out.

Batman just reminds me of spoiled 4 year olds feeling entitled to do WTF they want in the supermarket because they're wearing a costume they got from grandma at xmas.

I have zero interest in seeing this stuff.

I did enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy, and Dr Strange, but they're making all the crossovers now so you have to see whatever person X did in the person Y film to keep up.  In 10 years it will have fully transformed into an action-comedy series "Marvel: Episode 32 - The one where they eat chips and save the world from armageddon using only a plastic fork".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I don’t mean the genre or how the actual movie compares to it’s predecessors or the Marvel franchise, but the sheer level of filmmaking as purely just that, filmmaking.

Along with Dune, the most ‘cinematic’ (combo of visual + soundtrack + sound design) movie I have ever seen.

Can’t wait to watch it again at home in a few months without the distracting French subtitles we have to endure with anything shown here in France with VO (version originale) language.

It’s pretty stunning and has been likened to something more akin to an indie movie that has been made available to the masses than your typical Blockbuster.

Watch it and then judge it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched the movie last thursday.

I do enjoy marvel-movies as well as dc-movies, so there´s a neutral foundation when it comes to this.

That being said, I was entertained but not completly satisfied storywise and when it comes to the length of the movie.

VIsually, it is a beautfully made film. Greig Fraser and his team did such a great job and the grading fit the scenes really well.

I was hopeful to see a nearly 3h long batman-detective-story but there was at least 30 minutes that could´ve been cut. Some frames here, some shots there and overall pacing improvements.

There were a couple of times the movie unfortunately lost some of the power it already created,.

Still, the movie had some great performances, some new takes on gotham and the alfred-bruce-dynamic and a solid direction, where this batman could lead towards in the future.

I´m optimistic the upcoming sequel can build upon this base. I really hope they bring back Fraser as DoP.

Entertainment: 8/10

Story: 6.5/10

Acting: 8/10

Visuals: 9/10

Music: 7.5/10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I’d definitely do that. 

It was a tough call but I had some editing I wanted to finish AND the same theatre is showing The Conversation next weekend. So I decided to wait on the trip to Nashville and I did finish the editing 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Thomas Hill said:

It was a tough call but I had some editing I wanted to finish AND the same theatre is showing The Conversation next weekend. So I decided to wait on the trip to Nashville and I did finish the editing 😀

I like "The Conversation," but wouldn't feel the need to see it on the big screen.  But, "M"?  Man, that's just...to see it on a proper screen with a full room?  The tension and vibe for something like that would be a real movie-going experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I like "The Conversation," but wouldn't feel the need to see it on the big screen.  But, "M"?  Man, that's just...to see it on a proper screen with a full room?  The tension and vibe for something like that would be a real movie-going experience.

Thanks, one more regret to add to the long list, lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The cinematography and visuals were absolutely astounding. I enjoyed the production design and casting as well. The story, pacing and editing left some to be desired though. I was getting sleepy in the third act both times I watched it at the cinema.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 10:50 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

I was hopeful to see a nearly 3h long batman-detective-story but there was at least 30 minutes that could´ve been cut. Some frames here, some shots there and overall pacing improvements.

Agree!

 

On 3/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, fuzzynormal said:

I like "The Conversation," but wouldn't feel the need to see it on the big screen.

The conversation in a theater would be cool, not for the visuals alone but for the audio. There's some wild sound design in that film and I bet it shines on a theater sound system.

 

On 3/8/2022 at 4:44 PM, TomTheDP said:

The cinematography and visuals were absolutely astounding. I enjoyed the production design and casting as well. The story, pacing and editing left some to be desired though. I was getting sleepy in the third act both times I watched it at the cinema.

I noticed some interesting use of focus. When cat woman walked into the club, and you can see women dancing but completely abstracted by the depth of field. A nice way to make the scene more abstract and to add mystery to the place, all while holding that PG-13 rating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The Batman was aesthetically bold and brave for a blockbuster. It looked like the most expensive art house film ever made. 

I loved the blurry murkiness of it all and the interesting characterful feel of the image. It added to the overall story greatly. It almost always looked out of focus and I didn’t care. 

Great to see that modified Soviet lenses were used here and there (Iron Glass Adapters). It’s a refreshing change from all the other clinical perfect Marvel movies firing out of Disney’s ovaries. 

Also thought the slow pace, and Robert’s very awkward and similarly slow, clunky movement made the character feel grippingly tortured, and often, weird. 

I liked they left out a lot of sweeping aerial establishing shots and setup most locations as if you’re looking through a rain soaked window.

The score was also haunting and moved things along eerily in synchronisation with Robert’s weighted posture. 

Overall, very impressed. Unforgettable cinematography. Great all round. 

Relatable to this, I’ve been dropping all my clinical boring Sony lenses and making life hard with Lensbaby’s and heavily modified Russian glass. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The Batman was aesthetically bold and brave for a blockbuster. It looked like the most expensive art house film ever made. 

I loved the blurry murkiness of it all and the interesting characterful feel of the image. It added to the overall story greatly. It almost always looked out of focus and I didn’t care. 

Great to see that modified Soviet lenses were used here and there (Iron Glass Adapters). It’s a refreshing change from all the other clinical perfect Marvel movies firing out of Disney’s ovaries. 

Also thought the slow pace, and Robert’s very awkward and similarly slow, clunky movement made the character feel grippingly tortured, and often, weird. 

I liked they left out a lot of sweeping aerial establishing shots and setup most locations as if you’re looking through a rain soaked window.

The score was also haunting and moved things along eerily in synchronisation with Robert’s weighted posture. 

Overall, very impressed. Unforgettable cinematography. Great all round. 

Relatable to this, I’ve been dropping all my clinical boring Sony lenses and making life hard with Lensbaby’s and heavily modified Russian glass. 😂

I wish the story was as compelling as the visuals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

I wish the story was as compelling as the visuals.

I possibly would liked to have seen Batman / Bruce pushed even more into a very personal and darker cage - where he possibly becomes so reckless and desperate - the plot almost becomes about him having to control himself from completely losing it. 

It did have those elements in it but I felt they could have pushed that side more, being about a young Batman in his early years who will be very emotional, angry and make mistakes. 

Overall though, a very positive direction which is strikingly different to all other franchise movies where “the formula” is getting rather tiring. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, webrunner5 said:

we are Never going to do what they do to get that look.

Oh, I don’t know. They mention in the article they were getting their “look” 90% in camera and their colorist/grader was creating the last 10% in post. 

90% ain’t bad. 

Their earlier film “Let Me In” was visually impressive on a modest production scale. 

Talented and tenacious young film makers are doing amazing work with modest gear.

Source: help run a film fest, seeing a handful of micro budget films making high end visuals happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...