Super tiny Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 for mirrorless camera (E / L Mount)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

What a cutie.

On the Sigma Fp:

PPhoto_28_70_2.8_dg_dn_c021_handholding_fp.jpg

And on the Sony A7C:

PPhoto_28_70_2.8_dg_dn_c021_handholding_Emtbody.jpg

What makes this lens stand out?

• At time of release, it is the smallest and lightest full-frame F2.8 standard zoom for mirrorless systems.
  • Available in Sony E-Mount and L-Mount for L-mount cameras from SIGMA, Leica, and Panasonic 
  • Compact and lightweight, perfect for everyday use and travel.
  • At just 16.6 ounces, it is almost a pound lighter than the 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Art lens (31.4 ounces).
  • Fast maximum aperture of F2.8, providing consistent low-light capability from 28mm to 70mm.
  • SIGMA Art-level optical performance, with incredible sharpness throughout the focal range.
  • Gorgeous bokeh rendering that softly blurs the background and brings your subjects to life thanks to both the nine-blade rounded aperture and optical formula.
  • Lens offers excellent edge-to-edge performance with well-controlled axial chromatic aberration and sagittal coma aberration.
  • Dust and splash-proof mount with water and oil-repellent front element coatings.
  • Working distance of approx. 2.8 inches (7cm) at 1:3.3 magnification at 28mm for close-ups and casual macro opportunities.
  • SIGMA's Contemporary line strikes an excellent balance of both superb image quality and day-to-day usability.
  • Stepping motor for swift, accurate, quiet autofocus for both still and video.  Compatible with AF-C for eye-detect AF and real-time tracking.
  • Made in Japan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, Mark Romero 2 said:

If you ever decide to do any product photography (or product video) you will like the 24-105 f/4 a lot.

Probably not but I did some math(s) and worked out if I got one, I could work with 2 bodies instead of 3 as I normally/now used to.

Most of the day (weddings), I only need 2 at most but there are a couple of critical times when as a prime user, I need multiple focal lengths and that is where this 24-105 is going to be used, - shooting either '36mm' or '157.5mm' in 4k 50p. I'm looking at it as reasonably fast twin prime lens but needing only one body.

I might end up using it for more, maybe even all day but I'll have to test it.

I've only got a couple of lenses right now but comparing the 20-60mm @ f3.5 to the 85mm @ f1.8 in low light, there's a huge difference. Obviously. Just over 2 stops between f1.8 and f4 and that's the difference between shooting 1600 or 6400. Again, obviously.

But this little Sigma was on my radar and still might be an option paired with the 105mm f2.8

Depends on how the rest of this year goes as right now, I'm only spending based on minimal need and funds left over from previous kit sale.

I used to lust for a lens like this but now I realise I would use it 90% of the time at the short end and the long end and it isn't wide enough really for me and it is slightly too short for me too.     24-60/70 would be more appealing.

I used to have the Sony FE kit lens and I actually did like that (I know most do not) and it was the right size for me for a lens like this and useful as a longer body cap when carrying other lens.

Now, if i DO get a lens like that it will be either the Tamron for the extra 5mm at the long end at a tiny increase in weight or the new 28-60 Sony kit lens or even the 24-70 f4 Sony Zeiss (another lens i like but many don't).

3 minutes ago, noone said:

I used to have the Sony FE kit lens and I actually did like that (I know most do not) and it was the right size for me for a lens like this and useful as a longer body cap when carrying other lens.

I didn't own that lens, but I thought it was supposed to be pretty decent from 28mm up to about 50mm, just not so good once you zoom in past 50mm.

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Please People!!!! Stop saying it is going to be a good lens. My wallet can't take the pressure!!!

I was really thinking of picking up a used 20-60mm (they go for around $375 used) to put on a gimbal but now this Sigma lens is putting a damper in my camper.

The 20-60 is a gem.

OK, it doesn’t have the uber shallow DOF that say an f2 or faster does, but compared with an f2.8...at the wider end at least, there is not that much difference.

In lower light at the longer end, 60mm f5.6 vs 70mm f2.8 it’s a lot more noticeable.

But in decent light and/or at the wider end, it’s a great bit of kit for the price.

I’d have both!

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Sigma 28-70 f2.8 + Panasonic S5 makes for a crazy compact yet powerful combo!

Take a swig every time Hugh says "compelling".

Joking, I like the fella and his channel and I watched this last night and didn't notice if he used the word at all.

I know some have mentioned the relatively 'low res' viewfinder, but if this thing just had decent AF, it would be 10x more popular and kill everything else at it's price point.

It's compelling enough for me anyway and I'd be intrigued how good (or bad) this lens is with the S5 because for the best result so far (with any Panny), it needs native.

I think I'd at least give it a chance over the 24-105 on it's way to me other than for the fact it's a bit short for my needs and I'd need another lens to go with it...and swapping...and needing at the same time and...there's always a compromise somewhere.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

It's compelling enough for me anyway and I'd be intrigued how good (or bad) this lens is with the S5 because for the best result so far (with any Panny), it needs native.

Probably because (as in MFT) Panasonics only works in DFD mode with Panasonic branded lenses - which is an idiotic decision.

Maybe in L mount they included the Leicas in the DFD tables.

1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Maybe in L mount they included the Leicas in the DFD tables

It’s a slightly strange one...as if they don’t all trust each other completely.

It seems to be the case that each companies glass works on any L Mount body because the mount is the same.

They don’t seem to share...or at least fully share all the software however.

I don’t know about 4/3rds, but with FF it definitely seems to be the case.

I have tried a couple of Sigma lenses on my S5 and neither work that great.

DFD is not a complete dog. For stills it’s pretty decent and I have no issues with it, it is VERY accurate.

For most video use it’s fine, but native glass to native body and the AF needs fine-tuning in regard to: speed/sensitivity/use/need.

For forwards/backwards tracking I’ll concede it’s not reliable at best, pretty shit at worst!

The best way I can describe the entire L Mount system is it is for ‘considered work’.