Jump to content

Sony Product Announcement - 26/01/21


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m looking forward to all the ‘Why I Switched’ videos on YouTube when the thing gets launched.  

Your turn now Panasonic! Give us a Sony A1 but with the smaller 4/3" sensor in a GH6 and at the low price of $1995! 8K 10bit? 4K 120fps 10bit? Yes please!

The embargo for the a1 reviews ends today so if anyone needs me I'll be working on my thumbnail...

Posted Images

  • Super Members
15 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

@BTM_Pix Could it also be that the kind of people that buy cameras according to YouTube reviews are really not the target audience for A1? I would consider the R5 the rich consumer amateur territory, a lot of sales to be had from them.

Maybe, but I'd have put the a9 in that same category too though and that had the usual suspects all over it when it was launched.

Sign of a different time as well of course but the current COVID situation hasn't really slowed the number of the first day "reviews" of other cameras (including their own a7C as an example).

They are also going after the well heeled consumer territory with this camera too as I hadn't really appreciated myself until the past couple of years just how much money was being spent on the flagship Nikon and Canon bodies and the associated long primes by amateur bird and wildlife photographers.

In the current market situation, thats a way bigger target than pro sports photographers thats for sure.

As I said, I don't necessarily think not having a raft of "hey guys, smash that like button" videos all appearing simultaneously is a definitive sign of anything sinister but its a notable difference to me at least.

Maybe Sony are just as sick of all that bullshit as many of the rest of us are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JurijTurnsek said:

@BTM_Pix Could it also be that the kind of people that buy cameras according to YouTube reviews are really not the target audience for A1? I would consider the R5 the rich consumer amateur territory, a lot of sales to be had from them.

Yeah, the $6K A1 is targeted at coal miners

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Maybe, but I'd have put the a9 in that same category too though and that had the usual suspects all over it when it was launched.

Sign of a different time as well of course but the current COVID situation hasn't really slowed the number of the first day "reviews" of other cameras (including their own a7C as an example).

They are also going after the well heeled consumer territory with this camera too as I hadn't really appreciated myself until the past couple of years just how much money was being spent on the flagship Nikon and Canon bodies and the associated long primes by amateur bird and wildlife photographers.

In the current market situation, thats a way bigger target than pro sports photographers thats for sure.

As I said, I don't necessarily think not having a raft of "hey guys, smash that like button" videos all appearing simultaneously is a definitive sign of anything sinister but its a notable difference to me at least.

Maybe Sony are just as sick of all that bullshit as many of the rest of us are.

The funny thing is.....there's still the same number of videos going around on YouTube about the A1...the only difference is all they can do is talk about its specs and compare it to its competitors but not actually go film their cat videos with it....so Sony wins regardless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, serious question...

Had a thought today and that is 120fps 4k with 1/240th shutter speed, shoot video clips all day long at my weddings (ha, remember those things?) in 2027 or whenever we're back in business...and just pull off the stills instead of shooting them separately?

One camera, one lens, job done?

I'm an available or LED light shooter so no strobes etc anyway.

What am I missing or is this the fewtcha right now? Well this March. For 6.5k.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
50 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

The funny thing is.....there's still the same number of videos going around on YouTube about the A1...the only difference is all they can do is talk about its specs and compare it to its competitors but not actually go film their cat videos with it....so Sony wins regardless.

Though that in itself is pretty telling and confirms the suspicion that having the actual product and using it in anger is largely incidental to many of those cranking out that sort of content.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Maybe, but I'd have put the a9 in that same category too though and that had the usual suspects all over it when it was launched.

The Sony FX6 is in the same similar ball park for pricing, and yet we had many of the "usual suspects" all uploading their reviews of the FX6 only minutes apart, as soon as the embargo lifted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MrSMW said:

OK, serious question...

Had a thought today and that is 120fps 4k with 1/240th shutter speed, shoot video clips all day long at my weddings (ha, remember those things?) in 2027 or whenever we're back in business...and just pull off the stills instead of shooting them separately?

One camera, one lens, job done?

I'm an available or LED light shooter so no strobes etc anyway.

What am I missing or is this the fewtcha right now? Well this March. For 6.5k.

This idea comes up every so often, the first time it came up was when mere mortals could get their hands on 4K cameras.  The results at the time were "sure" and (IIRC) Popular Electronics magazine featured a cover photo that was a still from a 4K camera, which obviously with 8K and hyper-datarates of todays cameras would be far higher IQ.

One of the interesting counter arguments came from Peter Hurley, a headshot photographer who did a trial with a RAW-shooting cine camera, was that the benefit of always "getting the shot" by never missing the moment was more than offset by the work in post of having to find the frames you wanted, and all the media management that comes with the huge files.

Obviously that was the perspective of a stills photographer, so if you're shooting video and stills, then pulling the stills out of the video would be a no-brainer, as even though it will take work to go through the footage and find the right frames, you're partly reviewing the footage during video editing anyway, you're colour correcting the footage anyway, you're managing your media anyway, plus you don't have to pay attention during the filming process to stills and video separately, and can capture both simultaneously using the one set of equipment.  Plus it gives you the ability to reframe in post for the 4K(TM) that every client seems to want, despite not knowing WTF it even is, let alone knowing that resolution is the last thing that makes a video great.

I'd suggest that you'd still want the old three-camera setup for the ceremony, reception speeches, reception dancing, although the ability to shoot wider and reframe in post might mean you can get away with not having a second shooter but still "simulating" one in post with things like getting close-up then getting a wide and maybe even a pan/tilt if your editing style warrants it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
45 minutes ago, kye said:

One of the interesting counter arguments came from Peter Hurley, a headshot photographer who did a trial with a RAW-shooting cine camera, was that the benefit of always "getting the shot" by never missing the moment was more than offset by the work in post of having to find the frames you wanted, and all the media management that comes with the huge files.

The RED EPIC (I'm guessing it was likely this camera he was using?) introduced the HDRx mode which in basic terms recorded two tracks simultaneously at different exposures, predominantly to offer a method of increasing the dynamic range of the capture.

These could then be manipulated in post in different ways in terms of blending them to create the composite image but the other use for HDRx was to provide a higher shutter speed capture for stills extraction.

https://www.red.com/red-101/hdrx-high-dynamic-range-video

This promise of being the nirvana of hybridity (the EPIC had a Stills/Motion switch that was dormant for 3 years!) was what tipped my hand into buying one.

It arrived just in time for me to cover the 2012 Tour de France with it but the excitement only lasted a handful of stages before it was packed away and I shot the rest of the stages in the traditional manner with real stills cameras.

I found that I was getting both unexciting video and unexciting stills with it due to it having to be tripod based so whilst it was OK as a secondary camera for safety coverage it wasn't bringing anything to the party creatively.

The world has certainly come round to meet the potential of this idea though in the last 9 years and something like the Alpha One could certainly offer a version of this dual stream idea in 60p.

Although, having said that, RED would no doubt sue the balls of them if they did !

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I found that I was getting both unexciting video and unexciting stills with it due to it having to be tripod based so whilst it was OK as a secondary camera for safety coverage it wasn't bringing anything to the party creatively.

Yeah, creativity comes first, not second, or ninth, or last...

but a DSLR form-factor operating at a high-SS and frame rate would be great for sniping shots from very high-risk angles, like holding it up above the people in front of you, holding it out a window from a moving vehicle, or trying to track an athlete or vehicle as they go screaming past you on a track.  The upgrade from 20MP 10fps stills to 50MP 60fps slightly compressed stills would be an enormous upgrade in terms of getting the shot.

I took my modified action camera out today to a nearby national park and filmed some stuff, and the shooting experience was completely different holding a camera the size of a matchbox compared to holding a full-size camera - people don't notice you in the same way, and you can throw it around in a different way too.  My GH5 captures lovely images, but those images are different because the camera effects where you are, what you shoot and how the people you're pointing it at react to it being there.  

No IQ upgrade can make those changes, and why your RED got put back in its box.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who uses an Olympus EM1X and is invested in m4/3 (Besides Leica M) I’m most likely not the right user to comment.

But I really don’t get Sony here. Yes it has all the bells and whistles and awesome tech build in for an Hybrid all inclusive camera.

Great so far. But then it fails for me. The Canon R5 does probably 95% for half the price. So, why really should someone invest the money which would be better off in Lenses? And then there is the Question of 7000,-EUR. That’s Leica level while being very far far off. Or it’s the 1Dx / D6 action wildlife crowd. But none of those would invest in a camera that has basically a body of a 750,- USD camera...

No, this camera sounds like check all the numbers plus internet bragging rights while failing to see the market or end user. It will sell, yes, but I personally won’t know anybody who would...

 

B

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, androidlad said:

A1 seems to have insane rolling shutter performance for video. Only 2ms for 8K 30P, thanks to DRAM being made available for video read-out modes for the first time ever.

In stills mode, this increases to 5ms @14bit readout.

This is really impressive

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2021 at 5:24 PM, independent said:

Via Phil Holland: difference in sensor area between the R5 and Sony A1 for 8K UHD. R5 is a bit larger, 33.75x18.98 (38.72mm image circle) vs. Sony's 31.91mm x 17.95mm (36.61mm). So the Sony has a 1.06 crop compared to the R5. 

That might not seem like a lot, but I've shot in tight spaces like cars, bathrooms, closets, etc. and every mm counts that's what she said

That's BS.

Both R5 and A1 shoot 8K using full width of the sensor.

On R5 it has to be 8K DCI mode (8192 pixel wide). 8K UHD has a 1.06x crop.

A1 oversamples from 8.6K and it only shoots 8K UHD so no crop at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The embargo for the a1 reviews ends today so if anyone needs me I'll be working on my thumbnail...

I want to hear prolific use of the term 'game-changer'.

Milk it while you can because in a few months, they will be announcing their 8k camera. As in their $8k camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...