Jump to content

Sony FX6 is here


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the final sentence is the best piece of advice you can give. Seriously, at this point is there a worse investment than a new camera if you don't have a job that specifically requires it?

I’m not so sure of this “disappointing” talk. The A7SIII got the same slack by many and that’s turned out to be an absolute marvel of a camera.  The FX6 is what people asked for... an A7SIII with

Everyone: Please Sony, give us an A7sIII with professional video features! If you do I will buy at least seven of them. Sony: Ok, here it is! Everyone: Meh it's just a rehashed A7sIII. This is lam

Posted Images

3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

A third party needs to do an END EF adapter or something 

Since it already has electronic END, why would you want an END adapter for EF lenses? 

An EF adapter that made autofocus work well for EF lenses would make this camera more attractive for those of us who have EF lens collections. As it stands, I think the C70 is a bit better option for shooters like me who want to upgrade to a cinema/camcorder body from a hybrid body. I do like this form factor better than the extra large hybrid body of the C70/Pocket 4K/6K, other than the audio inputs on the handle. But, as soon as SmallRig comes out with a cage, I guess the C70 can be rigged if necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 9:45 PM, IronFilm said:

WHAT??? Why on earth would RED leave that out.  

I believe they've moved to a DCT implementation of MJPEG, I'm guessing it'll have something to do with the processing requirements for wavelet vs battery life with such a little camera running on Canon BPs

In theory it means you could see macroblocking at higher compression settings. I just haven't seen enough torture-test footage to know though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jgharding said:

That electronic ND is the best though, really wish it was in every camera.

Convenience has been my number one these days. I've only shot with the FX9 once but it was a dream. Its like being able to change shutter speed without effecting motion. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jgharding said:

That electronic ND is the best though, really wish it was in every camera.

Me too.

The situation I really want is for the camera to control exposure with auto-ISO and auto-ND and then let me control SS and Aperture manually.  I'd also like it to do face-recognition and exposure for that, even if I've got MF enabled.

That way, the camera is doing the technical operations, and I am doing the creative operations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually excited about the cam.

I think it's the least expensive FF interchangeable pro videocamera ever, not counting the Z cam FF model?

The latter does not include a monitor or XLR handle, so the price difference is actually not that much between the two once you add those expenses.

As of of right now you can purchase the FX6 for USD$7K with a 24-105 Sony lens. 

That's a huge price difference from older FF pro videocamera models from less than 5-10 years ago where Arri and Red were practically the only players in town. 

I'm not a Sony fanboy, quite the contrary, but this thing opens a new market for prosumers and videographers who are not cine buffs and don't want/need to spend 10K on extra accesories to start shooting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EduPortas said:

I'm actually excited about the cam.

I think it's the least expensive FF interchangeable pro videocamera ever, not counting the Z cam FF model?

The latter does not include a monitor or XLR handle, so the price difference is actually not that much between the two once you add those expenses.

As of of right now you can purchase the FX6 for USD$7K with a 24-105 Sony lens. 

That's a huge price difference from older FF pro videocamera models from less than 5-10 years ago where Arri and Red were practically the only players in town. 

I'm not a Sony fanboy, quite the contrary, but this thing opens a new market for prosumers and videographers who are not cine buffs and don't want/need to spend 10K on extra accesories to start shooting.

The Z-cam is still like $1500 cheaper plus you'd be getting a much nicer monitor. But no auto focus on the Z-cam. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a lot of negativity about this camera. As with everything, to each his own. I am a current Z Cam E2-F6 owner. It is a fantastic camera. I have built it up to be a beast, and I absolutely love the codecs in it. However, I am also a Sony stills shooter, with a wide variety of their lenses. It seems like people hating on this camera are already massively entrenched in what they know works for them. That is totally fine. For me, my business partner and I actually started a production company during the pandemic, which seems like a crazy move. However, we have gotten a massive amount of work during this time, as I'm learning that business is mostly about relationships. For our new company, we were using two separate cameras, the F6 and the S1H. These are both amazing cameras, but our workflow has been a pain trying to match up the colors, even though they are actually using the same sensor. We were considering investing in RED, but honestly the FX6 made much more sense for us. We actually bought two of them. Having the ability to shoot in low light, get a beautiful image, use my existing lineup of around 10 lenses, as well as take advantage of auto focus again are really going to actually speed up our workflow. We can also record XLR audio directly into camera while doing interviews, which massively speeds up our workflow in post production. So yes, this camera isn't a massive upgrade, but then again, for other people like us, it is much more bang for our buck compared to buying 2 RED Komodos, with have to be rigged up, don't have great AF, and come out to like 8-$9000 after rigging. Again, different strokes for different folds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the_brotographer said:

There seems to be a lot of negativity about this camera. As with everything, to each his own. I am a current Z Cam E2-F6 owner. It is a fantastic camera. I have built it up to be a beast, and I absolutely love the codecs in it. However, I am also a Sony stills shooter, with a wide variety of their lenses. It seems like people hating on this camera are already massively entrenched in what they know works for them. That is totally fine. For me, my business partner and I actually started a production company during the pandemic, which seems like a crazy move. However, we have gotten a massive amount of work during this time, as I'm learning that business is mostly about relationships. For our new company, we were using two separate cameras, the F6 and the S1H. These are both amazing cameras, but our workflow has been a pain trying to match up the colors, even though they are actually using the same sensor. We were considering investing in RED, but honestly the FX6 made much more sense for us. We actually bought two of them. Having the ability to shoot in low light, get a beautiful image, use my existing lineup of around 10 lenses, as well as take advantage of auto focus again are really going to actually speed up our workflow. We can also record XLR audio directly into camera while doing interviews, which massively speeds up our workflow in post production. So yes, this camera isn't a massive upgrade, but then again, for other people like us, it is much more bang for our buck compared to buying 2 RED Komodos, with have to be rigged up, don't have great AF, and come out to like 8-$9000 after rigging. Again, different strokes for different folds. 

Yeah they practically make a lot of sense. I think the downsides of the not so quick menu's and layout will be countered by the positives. One may not need to change from 24 to 120fps in 10 seconds depending on your clientele.

BTW I just send my E2 S6 to the guy who does the Alexa LUTs so now I'll be able to match my S6 to my Pana S1, once he finishes the Lut. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomTheDP said:

Yeah they practically make a lot of sense. I think the downsides of the not so quick menu's and layout will be countered by the positives. One may not need to change from 24 to 120fps in 10 seconds depending on your clientele.

BTW I just send my E2 S6 to the guy who does the Alexa LUTs so now I'll be able to match my S6 to my Pana S1, once he finishes the Lut. 

That's awesome! Yeah we really love the F6 and S1H, but just want more convenience. For us, we don't need to change between 24 and 120fps in 5 seconds. Our shoots are much more planned out. Are you talking about Joel with the Phantom Luts? I plan to test out the new A7SIII ones with the FX6 too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, the_brotographer said:

That's awesome! Yeah we really love the F6 and S1H, but just want more convenience. For us, we don't need to change between 24 and 120fps in 5 seconds. Our shoots are much more planned out. Are you talking about Joel with the Phantom Luts? I plan to test out the new A7SIII ones with the FX6 too.

Alex with emotive color. He has a thread on here about his lut for the GH5.

https://www.emotivecolor.com/

Been a game changer for me in terms of color. So much nicer than the stock Panasonic 709. I've been limiting my camera choices to the ones he has luts for LOL. Aside from actually getting an Arri. Only one I could afford atm would be the Classic and its just too heavy and cumbersome for what I am used to. He does have a lut package for the A7s3, although the FX6 color is slightly different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...