Development Update - AFX Focus Module For PBC

BTM_Pix

For manual lenses, does this work when the close up lens is added? For example my lens goes from 1.1 - infinity, but when I add a close up lens it is from 0.5m - 1m. Should I simply calibrate at different spots between 0.5m and 1m? How many calibration spots are there?
Also, what is the range in which the sensor works?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
15 hours ago, mirekti said:

For manual lenses, does this work when the close up lens is added? For example my lens goes from 1.1 - infinity, but when I add a close up lens it is from 0.5m - 1m. Should I simply calibrate at different spots between 0.5m and 1m? How many calibration spots are there?
Also, what is the range in which the sensor works?

You would treat it as two different lenses (i.e. lens without CU is Lens One and regular lens + CU lens is Lens Two) so you would make two calibrations.

There is a limit to the number of calibration points you can make per lens but in reality it is so hight that you will get bored of the process before you hit it.

The detection range of the sensor is 12 metres.

39 minutes ago, leslie said:

thinking way... outside the box but can you control two motors ?   Like if i had a taking lens and anamorphic lens would it be possible to calibrate both lenses then not have to worry about a single focus solution ?

Yes, this is an additional new interface that will be available for order on the Indiegogo campaign page in the next 10 days and will be ship at the same time as the AFX.

In all likelihood, it will actually support three motors.

36 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Shout out to Kotaro and Hanna for making the interview 😬

I just hope that Belle and Bingo, not to mention Aty, can forgive me the favouritism.

• Super Members
34 minutes ago, Henchman said:

I think it would be pretty easy to adapt it to a 15mm rod mount without using a big heavy clamp. 

To be fair, the clamp weighs 125g so its not bringing too much to the party weight wise.

The interior diameter of the ring of the controller is 22.5mm so fabricating infill donut for that with an interior hole for a 15mm or 19mm rod is doable for someone if that is their preference.

On 10/31/2020 at 8:10 AM, BTM_Pix said:

12 meters is a very nice range, thanks for the clarification. One more, please.
Let's say I had AFC on, and focus at 3m, the target goes out of frame, and the next target is some 25m away.
Will the focus point remain at 3m, move to infinity or move to something in between?

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, mirekti said:

Let's say I had AFC on, and focus at 3m, the target goes out of frame, and the next target is some 25m away.
Will the focus point remain at 3m, move to infinity or move to something in between?

There is a switchable preference for out of range detection in AF-C which is to hold at current position or move to your calibrated infinity point.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Henchman said:

What's peoples experiences here with the Tilta follow focus motors?
Will the N be good enough?

It depends on the stiffness of the lens but although the motor has a USB power input so can be powered from 5v it can actually take up to 14.8v which improves its torque to help this situation.

Tilta make a P-Tap to USB cable to enable you to do this and the extra power increases the torque from 0.65N-m to 1.00N-m.

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It depends on the stiffness of the lens but although the motor has a USB power input so can be powered from 5v it can actually take up to 14.8v which improves its torque to help this situation.

Tilta make a P-Tap to USB cable to enable you to do this and the extra power increases the torque from 0.65N-m to 1.00N-m.

Any chance of supporting PD Movie Live Air 2 motor? I like that it has its own battery.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:10 AM, BTM_Pix said:

You would treat it as two different lenses (i.e. lens without CU is Lens One and regular lens + CU lens is Lens Two) so you would make two calibrations.

There is a limit to the number of calibration points you can make per lens but in reality it is so hight that you will get bored of the process before you hit it.

Yes, this is an additional new interface that will be available for order on the Indiegogo campaign page in the next 10 days and will be ship at the same time as the AFX.

In all likelihood, it will actually support three motors.

I just hope that Belle and Bingo, not to mention Aty, can forgive me the favouritism.

@BTM_PixThis is great news! I will definitely purchase the additional new interface when available! Thanks offering this option, I really appreciate it!

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

@BTM_PixThis is great news! I will definitely purchase the additional new interface when available! Thanks offering this option, I really appreciate it!

It is already with the board fabricator and we'll have the production samples back in 10-14 days so it will be added to the campaign and be deliverable with the AFX.

Three motors.

• Super Members
On 10/30/2020 at 8:50 PM, Lowell said:

Does the LIDAR unit have a distance range for optimal focus? Specifically, I'm wondering whether the unit will be usable with macro lenses at close focusing distances.

Detection range is 1cm to 12 metres.

47 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Detection range is 1cm to 12 metres.

Wow! Does the unit tilt down easily to compensate for the parallax problems (the unit will be aimed above the subject and the subject will not be in the center of the LIDAR's field of view) that would arise using macro lenses at distances less than 5 or 6 cm?

On 10/30/2020 at 2:13 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Yes and then it stores them in its database for recall as and when you need them.

For the BM cameras, this recall is automatic as we can read the camera name from the lens as soon as you attach it but for other cameras it will have to be selected from a list.

When you calibrate the lens for other cameras you select each element from a list so :

CAMERA BRAND >>CANON,NIKON,SONY etc.

MODEL >> 1,2,3,4 etc

LENS BRAND >> Canon, Nikon, Sigma etc

LENS MM >> 18,20,24,28 etc

LENS F >> 1.4,1.8,2.0 etc

SUB >> 1,2,3,4

The reason that the MODEL field is numeric is that an exhaustive list of every model from every manufacturer is to cumbersome to manage, the storage space is better used elsewhere and we would be needing to issue firmware updates every time a new model is released. So if you have an A7Riii, an A7Sii and an A6500 then you are going to have to decide for yourself which one you designate as 1,2,3,4 etc.

Realistically, if you have two Sony full frame cameras and mount the AFX in the hotshoe then you will likely not need to calibrate for each camera but it takes less than five minutes and is only done once so its not much of a hardship.

With regard to SUB that is there for if you have multiple lenses that share the same brand, focal length and f stop as a way to differentiate them and again in the interests of overhead the onus is on the user to decide that.

In terms of capacity, there is one but its set at a level that can accommodate all of the cameras and lenses owned by @Andrew Reid so the rest of us will be barely scratching the surface 😉 

Many thanks for the comprehensive answer.  My order is now placed!

I have a module request for down the road consideration: a wireless distance readout/display. Countless ACs/DOPs use the Tilta gear on mid-grade shoots, but despise their generic “0-100” readout at the controller.

While it would require some pre-production profile calibration work, many would pick up the AFX for this feature alone: real foot/meter readings at the hand wheel.

I know this can be read at the AFX, but often focus is wireless for the simple reason that it is being pulled from a distance.