Canon open to adding BRAW to Canon R, R5, and R6

crevice

A new tweet by canon rumors, who I find the most reliable of all rumor sites, says that Canon is open to adding BRAW to their R series cameras.

This would be the biggest company to add BRAW to their cameras other than blackmagic themselves. It doesn’t matter if you care about these Canon cameras or not, every single person should be rooting for this to happen, because if Canon adds it, it forces the hand for Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, etc to add it as well. And when that happens, we all win. BRAW is our only choice for some sort of compressed RAW, because of REDs patent ruining the party. BRAW in more cameras means cheaper media, easier editing, color grading, etc. So, make some noise so canon knows we want this or whomever your favorite brand is. Sites like this one have pushed brands to be better and right now, they are listening and we need to continue to be loud. BRAW should be in every single camera that takes video seriously. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, crevice said:

A new tweet by canon rumors, who I find the most reliable of all rumor sites, says that Canon is open to adding BRAW to their R series cameras.

This would be the biggest company to add BRAW to their cameras other than blackmagic themselves. It doesn’t matter if you care about these Canon cameras or not, every single person should be rooting for this to happen, because if Canon adds it, it forces the hand for Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, etc to add it as well. And when that happens, we all win. BRAW is our only choice for some sort of compressed RAW, because of REDs patent ruining the party. BRAW in more cameras means cheaper media, easier editing, color grading, etc. So, make some noise so canon knows we want this or whomever your favorite brand is. Sites like this one have pushed brands to be better and right now, they are listening and we need to continue to be loud. BRAW should be in every single camera that takes video seriously. 

I've lost interest in all things Canon at the moment...due to reports like this:

https://www.C5D.com/canon-eos-r6-review-first-look-with-footage-serious-limitation-doubtful-video-tool/

5 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I've lost interest in all things Canon at the moment...due to reports like this:

https://www.C5D.com/canon-eos-r5-and-eos-r6-overheating-during-video-recording-official-statement/

There's something new on there?

It's funny to come here and see this reported to the sited based in Vienna when Manchester had first-hand notice and became topic of the month... ; -)

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

BRAW on the EOS R5 is never going to happen. And EOS R6 doesn't even have Canon's own RAW!

If they could 8K RAW out of it over HDMI to the BM Video Assist and if that could then record it in BRAW then thats your £650 heatsink solution for the R5 right there 😉 

They do have a relationship with BM because the C300MKii can already do BRAW with the 12G Video Assist but, yeah, I certainly think its a reach to think it will follow suit onto the R5.

Now we're talking. 🙂  Wonder if external recorder improves the overheating problem. After all it's the internal processor which is the source of the heat. If they can just stream the sensor output to external recorder ?  BRAW internal is not possible but external is. Let's hope Canon will give us BRAW external. 

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Can Braw be over HDMI? For some reason I thought it was SDI only.

Yeah, the Sigma Fp can now do it with the 12G BM Video Assist models.

The Fp also has ProResRAW enabled now too but, well, Atomos have still not released the firmware update for the Ninja V so who knows when it will actually work.

54 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think the sensor can run for around 1 hour in 8K with image processing externally.

Yesterday Gerald Undone was doing some testing on the 4K HQ mode recorded externally on a Ninja and the camera shut down due to overheating around the 1h15 mark so I think that estimate is very realistic 🙂

https://instagram.com/stories/geraldundone/2359898914668645546?igshid=ukiotjsceety

32 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What will you shoot with it though?

I only shoot short clips, 10 second clips. B-roll for corporate video's mainly and social media branding video's. But def want to use it on personal projects as well, and I can also see myself using it for narrative stuff as well like short films. For the last year I have shot nothing else then braw, as its as easy to edit as prores but impossible to miss whitebalance.