NAB 2020 is CANCELLED!! What now?

IronFilm

1 hour ago, hdx said:

China has been fighting coronavirus for 4 months now. Given most of the governments in Europe or US are not going to take such radical steps (i.e. locking down whole cities) it won't go away that soon. Just be prepared for quarantine, staying at home, public places getting closed down etc. It's already happening in Europe.

It will go away in two months unless our AMERICAN scientist are lying to us which I don't think they are.  We are not the Chinese, we are not the EU.  The USA is one of the most free and most open (with respect to ideas, innovation, etc.) societies.  We are basically the only nation with freedom of speech and when it matters, the USA as a society gets it right.  In any case, I'm going to say it now "everyone who is afraid of the virus is chicken little".  This is where I'm putting down my stakes.  Let's revisit this subject in a few months.  Also, I'm going to start buy stocks today.  I remember when the news media said that there was going to be an economic downturn when Trump got elected.  Those who sold, lost a lot of money.  This is the same situation -- it's all about politics at least for the USA.  There has been more people murdered  in Chicago (where I'm from) than killed by the virus.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, eleison said:

Within 2 months, people will forget about this like they did the ebola virus, swine flu, bird flu, etc.  In the USA, there's been IIRC 30 deaths out of millions of people. 

You didn't have multiple entire countries shutting down like this over those other situations. 

And Italy too just had "a few" deaths, then a few dozen, then BOOM two hundred deaths in a single day. 

That's what happens with exponential growth. 

Don't be complacent now, otherwise soon it will be too late.

8 hours ago, eleison said:

Also, I'm going to start buy stocks today.  I remember when the news media said that there was going to be an economic downturn when Trump got elected.  Those who sold, lost a lot of money.  This is the same situation -- it's all about politics at least for the USA.  There has been more people murdered  in Chicago (where I'm from) than killed by the virus.

Also...

Worst day of the stock market since 1987.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/business/stock-market-today.html

1 hour ago, FranciscoB said:

Lol, you seriously believe this?  The only country? You americans trully live in another world.

Your president just had dinner with an infected minister from Brazil. Good luck.

LOL You're funny... : ) Are you Brazilian?

I invite everyone to watch it... Use subs tool if you don't understand Portuguese : -)

Disclaimer: I love USA < 3 No matter what you may think for the subject matter ; -)

15 hours ago, Cinegain said:

The consequence is that these big fish are needed to fund these events. So when they bugger off... the whole concept kinda implodes in on itself and it takes the small fish with them. But it's heading that direction? That's why the opening question 'What do we think about the future of conventions/floor shows as a whole anyways?'. Can we combat it? How would we? Alternatives?

Maybe the trade shows will need to reinvent themselves as smaller / less grand / less pretentious events? Like they were a decade or three ago. 

Don't host them at expensive real estate downtown, hold it in a warehouse somewhere cheap on the outskirts. 

15 hours ago, eleison said:

The USA is one of the most free and most open (with respect to ideas, innovation, etc.) societies. 

Got some bad news for you buddy I'm afraid!

New Zealand (First Place!) ranks higher than the USA (15th) when it comes to freedom! 

https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index-new

Here is another different list put together by a different organisation:

https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Uh oh, sorry, New Zealand (3rd) is once again ranked ahead of the USA! (12th)

Once the USA has solved their coronavirus problem, feel free to come over and visit New Zealand to enjoy some freedom 😉

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

New Zealand (First Place!) ranks higher than the USA (15th) when it comes to freedom! 

Once the USA has solved their coronavirus problem, feel free to come over and visit New Zealand to enjoy some freedom 😉

Huhmmm..  When a person is the biggest, baddest Muther Fu'er in the land; other people will say you aren't.  That's cool.  Believe what you want :-)

4 hours ago, Snowfun said:

I was going to comment but not being American I’m not sure I’m allowed to...

On 3/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, eleison said:

The USA is one of the most free and most open (with respect to ideas, innovation, etc.) societies.  We are basically the only nation with freedom of speech and when it matters, the USA as a society gets it right.

I live in a rural, conservative place. We certainly have the right to have guns, loud trucks, confederate flags and massive anti-semitic billboards on your front lawn (seriously, it's about a mile from my house). However, it is illegal to have solar panels on your roof because it's an eyesore--despite being so sparsely populated there's no one to see each other's roofs. Every year our sheriff resigns right before elections and appoints a successor--but we were gerrymandered into a district with a distant city, so our votes barely count anyway. There is only a single high speed internet provider here, who legally claims coverage of my entire county, but only has actual coverage at half the houses, and their speeds only get up to 1/2 the advertised, already overpriced package. 3/4 phone providers don't actually have any service at all here, despite all of them claiming 4G or 5G.

I truly love the US, but there are some blatant and bizarre exceptions to our freedoms, and we are currently overrun with large corporations that are allowed to lie, overcharge us, and get tax breaks without providing any service at all.

19 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I live in a rural, conservative place. We certainly have the right to have guns, loud trucks, confederate flags and massive anti-semitic billboards on your front lawn (seriously, it's about a mile from my house). However, it is illegal to have solar panels on your roof because it's an eyesore--despite being so sparsely populated there's no one to see each other's roofs. Every year our sheriff resigns right before elections and appoints a successor--but we were gerrymandered into a district with a distant city, so our votes barely count anyway. There is only a single high speed internet provider here, who legally claims coverage of my entire county, but only has actual coverage at half the houses, and their speeds only get up to 1/2 the advertised, already overpriced package. 3/4 phone providers don't actually have any service at all here, despite all of them claiming 4G or 5G.

I truly love the US, but there are some blatant and bizarre exceptions to our freedoms

Yes, as a kiwi when I read news stories from the USA I often have moments of massive WTFery that you've got such retarded bureaucracy/wastage unlike what I get to enjoy here in New Zealand. (not that we're perfect either) 

For one example of many:

https://reason.com/2019/08/01/occupational-licensing-is-keeping-americans-stuck-in-place/

"The share of the workforce that falls under some sort of licensing requirement has risen from 5 percent in the 1950s to almost 25 percent in 2008," urbanist Richard Florida noted in 2017. "Such licensing requirements make it hard for people in those professions to move from place to place, where wages are higher or where their services are more needed."

A quarter of jobs need a license??? Wow, that just sounds like utter madness to me!

Although, you always have to be vigilant that NZ doesn't go down that path of following America as well... 
https://offsettingbehaviour.blogspot.com/2015/02/occupational-licensing-repo-edition.html

On 3/12/2020 at 6:05 AM, eleison said:

It will go away in two months unless our AMERICAN scientist are lying to us which I don't think they are.  We are not the Chinese, we are not the EU.  The USA is one of the most free and most open (with respect to ideas, innovation, etc.) societies.  We are basically the only nation with freedom of speech and when it matters, the USA as a society gets it right.  In any case, I'm going to say it now "everyone who is afraid of the virus is chicken little".  This is where I'm putting down my stakes.  Let's revisit this subject in a few months.  Also, I'm going to start buy stocks today.  I remember when the news media said that there was going to be an economic downturn when Trump got elected.  Those who sold, lost a lot of money.  This is the same situation -- it's all about politics at least for the USA.  There has been more people murdered  in Chicago (where I'm from) than killed by the virus.

What American scientists are saying it will go away in 2 months? None that I am aware of (Trump is not a scientist, no matter how much he thinks otherwise). Most pandemics last well over a year. We will still be dealing with covid-19 in 2021.

Unlike the flu, no one has partial immunity from earlier viral strains and no one has been vaccinated. Probably about 70% of the population will eventually get infected before it is done if steps are not taken. We have only just gotten started. Right now the mortality rate world wide in closed cases is 7.07%. In the US there have been 91 closed cases so far, 50 of which have resulted in death. That is a mortality rate of 55%. That will go down as more active cases close as recovered, but you will still see significantly more deaths than the flu. In China, the mortality rate has leveled out at 4.6%. A smaller discrete data set where the exact number of people infected is known with certainty is the Diamond Princess cruise ship, and the mortality rate there is ~2% among those infected. In spite of attempts to quarantine people on board the ship, about 19% of the people on board got infected. Unlike China, we can be sure that all those folk received the best medical care, so that is the sort of number you are going to see in the US . Do the math, if there are ~350 million people in the US, and 70% get infected in a worst case scenario with a 2% overall mortality rate (the flu is 0.1%, or 20x less) then it is not out of the question that we could see as many as 4-5 million dead in the US if the outbreak is not contained.

That is why everyone is so scared. You should be too.

As for America "getting it right", their track record to date is not promising, all we have seen so far is a lot of bungling and incompetence. Take the tests for example, frankly it is just shocking that something as basic as that was not in place at least a month ago. They are going to have to get their act together and do it fast if they want to avoid that math playing out.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, FranciscoB said:

Lol, you seriously believe this?  The only country? You americans trully live in another world.

Your president just had dinner with an infected minister from Brazil. Good luck.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:46 PM, IronFilm said:

On 3/13/2020 at 1:41 AM, Snowfun said:

I was going to comment but not being American I’m not sure I’m allowed to...

3 hours ago, Mokara said:

What American scientists are saying it will go away in 2 months? None that I am aware of (Trump is not a scientist, no matter how much he thinks otherwise). Most pandemics last well over a year. We will still be dealing with covid-19 in 2021.

Unlike the flu, no one has partial immunity from earlier viral strains and no one has been vaccinated. Probably about 70% of the population will eventually get infected before it is done if steps are not taken. We have only just gotten started. Right now the mortality rate world wide in closed cases is 7.07%. In the US there have been 91 closed cases so far, 50 of which have resulted in death. That is a mortality rate of 55%. That will go down as more active cases close as recovered, but you will still see significantly more deaths than the flu. In China, the mortality rate has leveled out at 4.6%. A smaller discrete data set where the exact number of people infected is known with certainty is the Diamond Princess cruise ship, and the mortality rate there is ~2% among those infected. In spite of attempts to quarantine people on board the ship, about 19% of the people on board got infected. Unlike China, we can be sure that all those folk received the best medical care, so that is the sort of number you are going to see in the US . Do the math, if there are ~350 million people in the US, and 70% get infected in a worst case scenario with a 2% overall mortality rate (the flu is 0.1%, or 20x less) then it is not out of the question that we could see as many as 4-5 million dead in the US if the outbreak is not contained.

That is why everyone is so scared. You should be too.

As for America "getting it right", their track record to date is not promising, all we have seen so far is a lot of bungling and incompetence. Take the tests for example, frankly it is just shocking that something as basic as that was not in place at least a month ago. They are going to have to get their act together and do it fast if they want to avoid that math playing out.

Don't worry, not all Americans, as I've said on another thread, have drunk so much of the Trump Cool Aid that they believe this garbage. We know we're not exceptional in this regard (getting through this pandemic via some cockamamie pseudo-scientific "American" miracle) or many others. We're shutting down our events and schools, working from home if possible, maintaining social distance, and BUYING ALL THE  FUCKING TOILET PAPER IN THE WORLD!!! Also, we know our health care system isn't great and the magical free market won't fix it, hasn't so far. 

At the same time, it is a pretty damn nice place to live. So there's that.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:50 PM, eleison said:

Within 2 months, people will forget about this like they did the ebola virus, swine flu, bird flu, etc.

Um, no. Even IF the virus magically disappears within the next two months, we will be feeling the economic impacts for many months (or even years). I certainly won't forget about it in two months as my savings dwindle just as my second baby is due and my contracted land is scheduled for release, and I'll possibly lose the holding deposit because no lender is going to give me a mortgage when I've been out of work for three months because every job I'd booked has now been cancelled. 

18 hours ago, Mokara said:

Unlike China, we can be sure that all those folk received the best medical care, so that is the sort of number you are going to see in the US

I agree with most of what you've said, but what makes you think all the folk in the US are going to get the best medical care? Free healthcare is one of the many freedoms American's do not have.

Just now, barefoot_dp said:

Um, no. Even IF the virus magically disappears within the next two months, we will be feeling the economic impacts for many months (or even years). I certainly won't forget about it in two months sd my savings dwindle just as my second baby is due and my contracted land is scheduled for release, and I'll possibly lose the holding deposit because no lender is going to give me a mortgage when I've been out of work for three months because every job I'd booked has now been cancelled. 

I agree with most of what you've said, but what makes you think all the folk in the US are going to get the best medical care? Free healthcare is one of the many freedoms American's do not have.

Trust me, the guys on the ship received the best medical care once they were taken off. They were the first, they would have been seen as an example. When you get to the 10000th American infected, then maybe not so much, but the first ones would have been treated well because everyone was watching.