Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Kinefinity Mavo LF comes quite close to beng in that price bracket! At "only" two grand more than $10K, yet has more FPS. codecs, I/O, etc than the 1D mk3

Also you left of the Z Cam F6 which can do 6K @60fps & 4K @120fps, has ZRaw, and is sub $5K

While the F6 is similar in price, you still get a excellent stills camera with the canon 1dx III. So either the F6 should drop in price, or a lot of folk will jump on the 1D III I think, atleast I would. Now RED is up with their komodo, which we could turn also in a almost ff camera witht the rf speedbooster. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Kinefinity Mavo LF comes quite close to beng in that price bracket! At "only" two grand more than $10K, yet has more FPS. codecs, I/O, etc than the 1D mk3

Also you left of the Z Cam F6 which can do 6K @60fps & 4K @120fps, has ZRaw, and is sub $5K

Kinefinity Mavo LF has no AF and no screen and no battery at 12k usd, for a minimum working camera you need 13.5k.... http://www.kinefinity.com/shop/mavo_lf_basic/?lang=en it is more close to the C500 II price than 1Dx III

ZCam has no AF too and need battery, screen etc.. so is not really 5k usd….

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

But on the withe paper that I posted above they have a table with the max recording time per format that does not make sense if is 30min limit.

True... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

And now that I have scanned through the whitepaper I see there's no C-Log2 and C-Log3 on the 1dx3. It seems those are supported only in Cinema RAW light...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-07 um 11.49.23.png

2 minutes ago, Michi said:

True... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

And now that I have scanned through the whitepaper I see there's no C-Log2 and C-Log3 on the 1dx3. It seems those are supported only in Cinema RAW light...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-07 um 11.49.23.png

It seems that CLog in 1Dx III is similar to CLog3 on the C200 as this picture seems to imply that the 1Dx III is the B cam in this scenario....

• Super Members
8 hours ago, kaylee said:

I want a paint to sample seafoam green gt3rs with red-orange brake calipers ?

like this color

That looks more like Surf Green that Foam Green to me.

Fender based their colours on those used by the major car manufacturers of the day so they have a Dupont code to make them easy to match.

fendercolor.jpg.929ecbf63bb5496c225fc4ae2f5244cd.jpg

So if you search for DUCO 2461 you'll be able to find the exact match for Surf Green usually masquerading as touch up paint for a 1957 Chevrolet :)

https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Chevrolet/1957-Chevrolet-All-Other-Models-Surf-Green-2461.html

• Super Members

Sorry for the paint based O/T there and now back to the camera.....

On the basis that, in this specific category, Canon only really have eyes for what Nikon are up to and vice versa then the bigger than anticipated spec on the Mk3 might point to the D6 launch being pretty interesting.

It seems reasonably certain that the D6 has IBIS and likely that it will do ProRes RAW out to a Ninja V so it may be that Canon has finally had to give up the goods on internal RAW to counter that.

As far as I know, the D6 supposed to be launched roughly the same time in mid-February and with these sort of specs and the longevity of these types of cameras in general, we are likely to be seeing the final showdown of the flagship DSLR era as it seems unlikely the 2023/24 replacement versions won't be mirrorless.

For that reason, maybe Nikon will throw internal RAW in there as well.

Well played Canon they finally seem to be awaking from their slumber.
Not interested in this specific camera as it's far too big and unwieldly for my style of handheld video, with no evf or flippable screen - but a smaller more agile Rf version with similar specs would possibly convince me to come back from Fuji

• Administrators

An in-depth look at the white paper and 1D X Mark III codec

https://www.eoshd.com/2020/01/canon-1d-x-mark-iii-finally-canon-get-serious-about-dslr-video/

Certainly the best DSLR (note... "DSLR"!) for video on the market at the moment... But those file sizes are media costs are eye-watering for the 5.5K RAW.

In region of $500 for 13 minutes.

The 4K 10bit is more tempting and it's 60p, no crop.

Still, it is in the wrong form factor... Needs to be in a mirrorless camera.

I think the 1D X Mark III will be a great shot getter and sexy gimbal camera though.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.eoshd.com/2020/01/canon-1d-x-mark-iii-finally-canon-get-serious-about-dslr-video/

Certainly the best DSLR (note... "DSLR"!) for video on the market at the moment... But those file sizes are media costs are eye-watering for the 5.5K RAW.

I think the 1D X Mark III will be a great shot getter and sexy gimbal camera though.

Are there any better mirrorless camera's out there atm?

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well put thoughts on the article.

A 512 GB card cost 600$ https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499327-REG/sandisk_sdcfe_512g_ancin_extremepro_compactflash_express_512gb.html?sts=pi&pim=Y and can hold 36 min of 5.5k at 24fps so yes massive but in line with the C500 II at 5.9k will old 30 min. So is the price of RAW. 

I expect people to use normally 4k 10bit and switch to RAW when the maximum grading flexibility or critical shooting conditions.

• Administrators

* 13 mins is for 5.5K RAW 60p, yes the 24p will give you more time on a card... still expensive though to get through a shoot with 1800Mbit to some of the most expensive cards on the market.

22 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Are there any better mirrorless camera's out there atm?

In my opinion yes there are, and they are cheaper.

Panasonic S1 gives you 1D X Mark III rivalling codec and image quality for around $2k (with V-LOG update).

Although none of them marry 4K 60p 10bit full frame with Dual Pixel AF, they are better in other areas.

Principal one being usability and feature-set.

Yes you can argue Canon has made the first 4K/60p/10bit/full frame/DPAF camera and those are all headline features, if you wanted all that on a Panasonic or Sony you may have to wait another year or 2.

Panasonic S1H however does all the 10bit 4K stuff better aside from FF 60p and the AF...But it is $3.5K and Netflix approved, the image is blazing a trail.

This has advantage of IBIS and an EVF too, as well as articulated screen and more adaptable lens mount, cheaper media costs, more options.

Leica SL2 is a sexier camera to use, sex on legs, sexier than anything I have personally handled :)

It offers full frame (well, near full frame 1.1x crop) 4K/60p in 8bit and 4K/24p full frame 10bit ALL-I 400Mbit. No RAW but an extensive feature set - very in-depth. Like a supercharged S1R for video.

A7R IV is a contender for hybrid stills / video use. The stills side is beyond compare, 60 megapixels, cutting edge AF, large EVF and very good IBIS... although not as steady as Leica SL2 or S1H.

Remember the A7S III is on the horizon which is likely to give you the full frame 10bit 4K 60p for $3k mark along with Canon beating AF...

Canon 1D X Mark III might be short lived at the top for people who want 4K/60p/DPAF and RAW.

• Super Members
42 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Canon 1D X Mark III might be short lived at the top for people who want 4K/60p/DPAF and RAW.

This camera and the D6 are still going to be for a niche - and dwindling - market and are priced to reflect not only the extra features like networking and the build standard but also because whilst they'll clear up 95% of that niche the actual unit sales will be a drop in the ocean compared to their other cameras.

For people who have the absolute need for the core aspect of these two products (i.e. a no compromise, built for purpose, bullet proof news, events and sports stills camera) the video features are a happy supplement and more or less for free so its a no brainer really.

But I'm guessing that the vast majority of people here don't need to be paying the premium that having the core product entails and would benefit far more from a different use of the same budget.

Even for the target market, whilst RAW is great to have, the elephant in the room is that this and the D6 are predominantly used in news gathering/sports roles where turnaround time is king and portability is implicit so dealing with that data is going to be an issue.

The 10 bit h.265 options look promising for in field editing though as I understand LumaFusion deals with h.265 really fluidly.

Canon as blown its competitors away with this one. 

You can't come with the crippled talk now. You either pay up or keep it moving.  This camera isn't for everyone. 

That internal Raw is a game changer. Not sure what the issue with file size is. Thats what you get dealing with raw. Canon color + 1DC filmic mojo + log with RAW on a dslr format is insane. 

I wouldn't be buying this, as this is out of my price range, but I will definitely be loaning this for a few shoots. 

6 minutes ago, forofilms said:

My understanding was that the there was a cropped 4K mode where you could record 60fps with DPAF? Is that not the case? Is there no codec or mode you can record 60fps along with DPAF? Also, C-Log is restricted to H.265 only, correct? 

5.5k raw dpaf up to 30 fps

4k FF dpaf up to 30 fps

4k 1.3x crop DCI dpaf up to 60fps

FF FHD dpaf up to 120fps

10bit clog is always h265

5 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

5.5k raw dpaf up to 30 fps

4k FF dpaf up to 30 fps

4k 1.3x crop DCI dpaf up to 60fps

FF FHD dpaf up to 120fps

10bit clog is always h265

Thanks. I didn't see it listed on Andrew's chart. Any idea how much recording time we have in 4k 1.3x crop DCI dpaf in 60fps on a 64gb or 128gb card?

6 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Thanks. I didn't see it listed on Andrew's chart. Any idea how much recording time we have in 4k 1.3x crop DCI dpaf in 60fps on a 64gb or 128gb card?

Is in Andrew’s article and on canon withepaper. It depends bitrates go for 4k 60p from min 230 Mbits/s up to 1000 Mbits/s