Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, mercer said:

It looks good. Are you missing those Canon colors from the 5D3? Panasonic greens can be a pain in the ass. But I think you did a good job. Great detail. The music, shots and color grade gave the piece a melancholy, nostalgic feel. Your model is very pretty as well.

What does this mean?

it means that i answered his question and told him that he needs to find another lut. colors are not natural and i guess he was looking for natural grading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, ade towell said:

I prefer to focus manually but can't make a lens magically stabilise itself. Make sense?

When handheld I like to use the EVF - how do you tell the camera which part you want to focus on when using AF? I don't trust it to read my mind

It's easy. With AF tracking for video on the Z6 you can touch the spot on the back of the screen on the subject or area you want it to focus. After that it stays focused and tracks a person or spot. This is exactly why you use and have AF tracking for video. This is why you need it to work and be reliable.

How are you manually focusing with the gimble? That's not how gambles work. They need AF tracking. 

You should use the touch screen and touch to focus and track your subjects.  It works better then manually focusing on a moving subject. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said I like to use the viewfinder especially when going handheld, always have done - how do I tell it what to focus on then?

I don't really use a gimbal, I generally prefer handheld aesthetic and feel they are way overused.

I trust my manual focus skills more than I do the cameras AF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, docmoore said:

I assume that the mustard yellows in the greens throws off the overall balance of the look. Skin tones are great but many of the Film

Convert emulsions end up doing this ... do not remember that from any of the film I used. Do not think it is the Panasonic but more

the Film Convert look. But it beats teal and orange. 

 

8 hours ago, ade towell said:

It is the Film Convert giving the greens that yellowy look, had the same issue when using FC with Canon C100 particularly some of the Fuji presets, Kodak ones seemed a bit more balanced but they all messed with colours too much for my liking

On my iPhone, the grass looks like burnt out, dead grass like you see in the middle of summer. I’m not surprised it’s a result of FilmConvert though, that program can be a little wonky sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ade towell said:

I meant how can I tell AF where to focus when using the viewfinder - focus peaking for sure when manual focusing

Isn't there a pad to select where to focus ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ade towell said:

As I said I like to use the viewfinder especially when going handheld, always have done - how do I tell it what to focus on then?

I don't really use a gimbal, I generally prefer handheld aesthetic and feel they are way overused.

I trust my manual focus skills more than I do the cameras AF

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had the chance to directly compare the video quality of the 4k 60p modes on the s1 and the s1r?

Im thinking about upgrading from a gh5-s to either of those, but im mainly shooting 4k 60fps for weddings and im wondering whats the best move here.

The s1 is using an aps-c crop of 1.5x in that mode, the s1r does it with an 1.1x crop.

The latter sounds much more appealing to me but apparently it does so with line skipping. So, how much 'worse' is it compared to the s1's 4k 60p?

And is the 4k 60 fps of the s1 mode as good as its full frame 4k 24p or the gh5-s 4k 60 fps?

Another thing is the upcoming s1-h which will probably be even better for video and wont have the 1.5x crop in 60fps. But will that be as good in photography as well?

If anyone can shed some light i'd be happy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thephoenix said:

Isn't there a pad to select where to focus ?

There is but it felt like a very clumsy way to choose where to focus, maybe I need to keep at it but it didn't feel very intuitive - I do enjoy focusing manually, feel like I'm more in the scene.

I realise tapping the screen is a better way to choose focus but I prefer to use viewfinder and my eyes struggle with a screen up close - that's what happens when you reach 50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ade towell said:

There is but it felt like a very clumsy way to choose where to focus, maybe I need to keep at it but it didn't feel very intuitive - I do enjoy focusing manually, feel like I'm more in the scene.

I realise tapping the screen is a better way to choose focus but I prefer to use viewfinder and my eyes struggle with a screen up close - that's what happens when you reach 50

same here, just got new glasses diopter +0.75 last week and it changed my life 😮

i do focus threw evf and use the pad on my xt3 when using af, but  i mostly use manual focus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha yes have had to accept glasses as part of my life now, makes going between viewfinder and screen a little trickier.

I also now have XT3, will try your method and see if I can get used to it, can see AF being useful for tracking when only one person is in the scene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, Lars Steenhoff said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zea3apd5pscumks/FlowersV-log.mov?dl=0

Anyone who wants to have a go at grading I have here the Flowers video in  v-log pro res 422 HQ

No commercial use.

Cheers for sharing the footage!

Did a quick grade in Resolve (20 min) using @Sage GHa conversion lut. Some adjustments to white balance and luma here and there. Overall very impressed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 1:09 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Many of us never use AF in video. So it's not "excuses". More like "not caring".

I am most likely going to upgrade one or more of my of my GH5 / GH5s to the S1 and I am a fan of Panasonic. With that said, I am mostly in the "not caring" camp too.

I know that the S1 *continuous* autofocus isn't great (the AF for stills is great), but I will probably buy it anyway, due to the IBIS and the other great features. Most cinema cameras have, at best, one touch autofocus, so that is my standard. Even if the camera had great continuous autofocus, I would turn it to one touch focus most of the time.

The camera simply can't be trusted to reliably focus where you want it to focus and stay there. For example, many of the cameras (even Sony) lose focus if the person turns around. With manual (or one touch) this doesn't happen. I use focus peaking with manual AF and/or one touch AF and it works great. I get to decide where and when to focus.

Would I like a great continuous AF where it could track people around? Yes. Would I use it some times? Yes. Is it a deal breaker if a camera doesn't have it? No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 1:09 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Many of us never use AF in video. So it's not "excuses". More like "not caring".

If you're on a S1 or GH5 thread and making excuses for AF tracking for video then that is an excuse for the camera not working the way AF tracking works. 

Not caring is because YOU NEVER had or understood how AF tracking works. Some think AF is not used by pro's because manual is the only way to go. That's correct from a pro's stand point but they NEVER had AF tracking in a pro cine camera. 

AF tracking tracks the subject you lock onto. And if you're really shooting weddings or non locked down shots YOU will simple get beat by good AF tracking every time if you go manual.

I 100% guarantee you don't try certain shots because you can't pull them off with handheld, manual focus thru the EVF.  Don't like the messenger all you want but I'm speaking the truth and trying to help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every camera has trade offs.  Why is it so hard to believe that some people value the autofocus ability of a camera at near the bottom of the list of their priorities if they are comfortable with manual focusing?

Maybe some day we'll have an A.I. living in our cameras that takes natural language instructions from a director and always pulls focus correctly and smoothly and can follow the play of a scene in real time better than a any human focus puller.  Until that day comes, for many of us the camera's acquisition format and image quality will matter much more.

In addition for many of us, it is just fun and satisfying to pull focus manually and capture a scene the way we intend without relying on whatever the camera decides to do.  I have a feeling even if some magical A.I. does come along one day, many people will still enjoy using manual focus for the spontaneous creative control it provides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Towd said:

Every camera has trade offs.  Why is it so hard to believe that some people value the autofocus ability of a camera at near the bottom of the list of their priorities if they are comfortable with manual focusing?

Maybe some day we'll have an A.I. living in our cameras that takes natural language instructions from a director and always pulls focus correctly and smoothly and can follow the play of a scene in real time better than a any human focus puller.  Until that day comes, for many of us the camera's acquisition format and image quality will matter much more.

In addition for many of us, it is just fun and satisfying to pull focus manually and capture a scene the way we intend without relying on whatever the camera decides to do.  I have a feeling even if some magical A.I. does come along one day, many people will still enjoy using manual focus for the spontaneous creative control it provides.

This is the same GH5 Lumix argument about AF tracking since the camera was released. 

Have the choice of AF tracking or using manual is just that. Use what works for you. But on the S1, GH5, GH5s and S1R the AF tracking is not very good. 

It's the NOT VERY GOOD part is the issues here. It should be as good as Canon, Sony or Nikon.  

Another Lumix AF excuse "many people will still enjoy using manual focus for the spontaneous creative control it provides."  How is using AF tracking with the touch screen any less spontaneous then using manual focus?  

Next you will say "manual focus is more organic then AF".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...