ENTRY VIDEOS: Find the best video quality for under $200 - fun EOSHD Challenge

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
On 8/5/2019 at 8:00 PM, PannySVHS said:

Hallo friends,

here is my contribution. I hope you like my final film. Looking forward to the great pleasure of exchanging experiences and technical odditities and tricks once Andrew gives the signal for releasing info next week. Thank you for your beautiful films, discussion and the awesome spirit. Thanks Andrew and everyone for inspiring us to film something personal. Here is my labour of love, shot last week and edited over night until just now :) cheers!

Thank you very much! :)

Going to feature this on the blog post!

But when I embed it says the privacy settings don't allow it. Weird! Any way you can change it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Going to feature this on the blog post!

But when I embed it says the privacy settings don't allow it. Weird! Any way you can change it?

Hallo Andrew, wow, that is super cool! Best site to show my shortfilm!!! I will try to embedd and will send you a PM, so I don´t bloat this awesome thread. cheers

On 8/11/2019 at 11:34 AM, m.maksym said:

It's probably too late for enter the competition but I leave here a link to my footage:) Captured 6years ago with my first camera with stock firmware plus 2 cheap chinese lenses and cheap wide angle converter. Edited 1 year ago but it was private footage on my vimeo channel - today I made it public:) 

Always welcome! 

Even if you are a bit late to the party this time, you took a step and joined us.

Next time it'll be easier.

( :

PS: Pozdrawiam z okolic Poznania. ?‍♂️

On 8/5/2019 at 9:00 PM, PannySVHS said:

Hallo friends,

here is my contribution. I hope you like my final film. Looking forward to the great pleasure of exchanging experiences and technical odditities and tricks once Andrew gives the signal for releasing info next week. Thank you for your beautiful films, discussion and the awesome spirit. Thanks Andrew and everyone for inspiring us to film something personal. Here is my labour of love, shot last week and edited over night until just now :) cheers!

Thank you very much! :)

I'm in love with the colors, the softness, the grain, the blooming highlights and the chromatic aberration. Is this straight out of the camera ? Did you do some post on it ? Anyway, I can't wait to know which camera you shot it with ! And the composition and edit are equally nice ! Well done !

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nearly done putting every video into a poll. Took ages!

Hopefully get everything tied up tomorrow.

Cheers for waiting!

I bet you that you won’t be doing this challenge again (at least anytime soon)...

Too much hassle ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 1:46 AM, Papiskokuji said:

I'm in love with the colors, the softness, the grain, the blooming highlights and the chromatic aberration. Is this straight out of the camera ? Did you do some post on it ? Anyway, I can't wait to know which camera you shot it with ! And the composition and edit are equally nice ! Well done !

Hallo, thank you very much! I think the magic really comes from the lens. The Fujinon 12.5mm 1.4. It does not quiet cover the full 16 to 9 image on the Lumix. I shot this on the G6. Grading and grain in Davinci, any other characteristics of the image come from the beautiful location, the light and the lens. The whole piece was shot in a cinema verité approach, with hardly any shots posed for the camera. I hopefully get around doing some more of these personal vignettes this year. I will see. For this piece it was the right energy and the right moment in time and right kinda lightning:)

I loved the idea of this competition. Wish I'd been able to participate but I was in the process of buying a home. I hope there's another one soon.

In a similar vein, I've just launched a new group on Facebook called Junk Camera Cinematography with the following thesis:

Low resolution? Compression artifacts? Clipped highlights? One person's image quality nightmare is another person's sought-after look.

This group is for filmmakers of all levels and backgrounds. Whether you're someone who enjoys the challenge of trying to shoot something with less than adequate tools, or you just like the lo-fi texture of older point-and-shoots, first generation smartphones, tape-based camcorders, or industrial/security cameras, this group embraces the cameras that serious filmmakers would NEVER use...

Or would they?

Spend as little as possible or use what you already have. Learn the quirks, make something interesting, and enjoy the creativity that comes with limitations.

I'm hoping that this group can be the antidote for those that feel like there's too much emphasis on new and better gear. It would be great to see some of you in there.