ENTRY VIDEOS: Find the best video quality for under $200 - fun EOSHD Challenge

Andrew Reid

26 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

I mean each visual in the sequence of clips flow nicely, creates a nice atmosphere.

I knew you meant that...sorry I was being a bit facetious. Thanks for noticing, though. Over the years, I've shot a fair amount of random footage just to keep my eye in and often try and create or find an underlying or unifying thread to the footage I just like the look of, in the edit. I know the entries to this fun competition will be viewed more in cinematography terms but I love the editing process in the way I've described. It's funny, because it's the antithesis - in many ways - of how conventional films are made, i.e. scripted, storyboarded, shot, edited, not that I have anything against that approach, just personally,  I like to create stuff more freely. Luckily, I have a day job (Technical Instructor at a University) that pays the bills - he he!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, theraywong said:

Thanks ZEEK! What story, though? I don't know what you're talking about...this isn't a storytelling competition, it's in the rules. ;) 

Thanks webrunner5. I've noticed you've chipped in some choice comments/quips from time to time, so your compliment is much appreciated.

There are some silly people on here, including me at times. ?

• Administrators

Tomorrow I'll be doing a blog post with my favourite submissions in it.

In the post I will clear up how we go from here...

I suggest we go for 1 more week of submissions.

However to make the blog post more interesting, I am going to reveal one of my choices of camera and post the video I shot with it tomorrow.

Maybe it will give some people some ideas :) and spice things up.

The voting will then take place after 1 more week of shooting...

You can reveal your choices of camera too, but after the voting in a week.

If I reveal mine straight away, that would make for a more interesting blog post and not affect the results, as I am not eligible to win.

I will however be making one of the submitted videos under an anonymous pseudonym, which I am eligible for in the forum vote :)

Time to get registering that Fake forum account ;)

On 7/25/2019 at 2:34 PM, leslie said:

by all means please extend it. i had a pipe burst in the house a few days ago. no pun intended but its certainly put a damper on things. maybe i should do a documentary and submit it lol

Doco! Doco! Doco!

Bonus points for narrating like David Attenborough.  "...and here we can see the water as it soaks up the wall, creating a frenzied bloom to millions of mould and fungus spores..."

On 7/27/2019 at 12:44 PM, kye said:

Doco! Doco! Doco!

Bonus points for narrating like David Attenborough.  "...and here we can see the water as it soaks up the wall, creating a frenzied bloom to millions of mould and fungus spores..."

i'm not laughing , but i now can empathize much better with those  that been through a flood. Although i'm glad we have had insurance all these years however and i have to confess that the insurance company have been sterling to deal with through out it all. I do have some phone  footage i could share may have to see what i can throw together. 

5 minutes ago, leslie said:

i'm not laughing , but i now can empathize much better with those  that been through a flood. Although i'm glad we have had insurance all these years however and i have to confess that the insurance company have been sterling to deal with through out it all. I do have some phone  footage i could share may have to see what i can throw together. 

Yeah, I can't imagine what that must be like.  Someone I know recently went on holiday and while away her hot water system started leaking, putting steam all through her whole (nicely locked up) apartment.  Over the few weeks she was away everything went mouldy, so she's now basically having to almost start again.  She works in a medical field and lost all her books and university notes and paper resources, so the loss is difficult to fathom.

I had a leaky hot water system in my apartment while I was away but luckily had a window slightly open and a fan on so avoided any impacts.  That could have gone very differently.

Good to hear about the insurance company being good.  My sympathy to you.  

13 hours ago, Michi said:

Very interesting, unusual Bokeh on this shot (for my eyes at least). I wonder what lens created that... Nice grading too!

109934770_InterestingBokeh.thumb.png.5e0db814425122e087ec41fac0dbd5d2.png

Indeed, a very "special" lens. I confirm you have very good eyes for unusual Bokeh and will have a surprise during the reveal. Without saying too much, I can say it's a 50 mm.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I swear that is a GH2 with some ex-tele shots in the mix. Could be wrong.

Looking forward to when everybody reveals what they used.

Keep em coming!

Wrong and wrong. But you written about the camera maaany years ago. All shot with one old lens in the spirit of the competition.

You guys are bringing back some great memories for me. This stuff is about as good as you could shoot back in the day with a 100K camera then. It was Just unbelievable that kind of quality years ago. And surprisingly it still is with these entries.

Amazing how it has progressed, but also amazing how in a way it hasn't needed to be all that much better to be much better. I think we Humans are addicted to movement no matter the quality. Moving Pictures like they called it years ago still applies. I am old, but not that old lol.

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You guys are bringing back some great memories for me. This stuff is about as good as you could shoot back in the day with a 100K camera then. It was Just unbelievable that kind of quality years ago. And surprisingly it still is with these entries.

Amazing how it has progressed, but also amazing how in a way it hasn't needed to be all that much better to be much better. I think we Humans are addicted to movement no matter the quality. Moving Pictures like they called it years ago still applies. I am old, but not that old lol.

Yeah, I think that tech tends to stop when it starts approaching the limits of the human senses.  Think about the race to increase DPI in printers, but now the dots are so small that you can't see them and no-one seems to care much any more.

We obviously have a way to go with video still, and VR will really kick things into another whole megapixel race, but considering that it's gotten pretty good and the fond memories many have for film were based around it not being razor sharp, we're definitely in a good position with the tech we have.