Idea - Free peer-to-peer colour grading course

kye

Here's my idea for a free perr-to-peer colour grading course for all of us.

We have a bunch of people with skills here, so I imagine we can learn a lot from each other.

Idea:

1. Someone films one or two short clips and uploads the files SOOC
  2. People have a go at grading them and upload results
  3. We comment on what we like about people's work (someone might be good at tone, others at colour, others at something else)
  4. The people who did the grading share what they did so the rest of us can learn from it
  5. Repeat

I'm happy to record some nice clips to get it started.

It would need people to actively participate though.  If only a couple of people actually grade anything then it won't work because they won't have other work to learn anything from.

Who would be interested in actively participating by grading and sharing their results?  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good idea, there’s been a few posts that asked the question... “How would you grade this? Usually the OP would post a frame grab of the ungraded and graded grab as a tiff file.

It was a lot of fun until some turd would inevitably post disparaging comments about people’s grades. And then the thread would die off.

is there going to be an issue with what software is used to grade the footage ?  because there's not much chance of me following along if premiere is used. but if resolve is used. i can do that.  also are we talking 1080 or 4k footage ? that may make a difference for some. if this idea takes off maybe a monthly theme perhaps that might allow some time for busy people to have a go and may get us out of our comfort zones. however that might be biting off more than i can chew at the moment,  just my 2 cents worth

6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Cool idea, I'll play. I just did a color blindness test with my friend the other day. There was a chart with 4 different colors and I only saw two. My grading results should be interesting LOL

You may do things that are great just because you're not seeing them in the same way.  It's not a critiquing session where we talk about what doesn't work, it's about gathering the bits that do :)

1 hour ago, leslie said:

is there going to be an issue with what software is used to grade the footage ?  because there's not much chance of me following along if premiere is used. but if resolve is used. i can do that.  also are we talking 1080 or 4k footage ? that may make a difference for some. if this idea takes off maybe a monthly theme perhaps that might allow some time for busy people to have a go and may get us out of our comfort zones. however that might be biting off more than i can chew at the moment,  just my 2 cents worth

Resolve is wonderful, and I'm probably much more guilty than the next guy of making fun of the other platforms for not having as extensive a toolset, however the secret is that a great colourist will be able to make very good colour grades with only a few tools.  Think about photo editing when photoshop only had the basic adjustment tools like curves - magazines were still full of stunning images.

A good grade should be useful to everyone as a reference.  Knowing that the person applied a conversion LUT, then custom contrast curves, then desaturated the shadows, etc etc should be useful information to everyone.  Sure, if someone goes nuts in Resolve it might be difficult to replicate in PP/FCPX but I don't think that killer grades rely on these fancy tools very often.

The point is to replicate the grade and figure out how it works so you understand it.  Otherwise it just becomes another preset and you may as well have just bought a LUT pack.

In terms of who participates, it's whoever has time and energy :)