SIGMA announces L-mount version of their Prime lenses

Yehouda

• Yehouda changed the title to SIGMA announces L-mount version of their Prime lenses
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Am I the only one who is pretty apathetic about Sigma art lenses???

I mean, i shoot mostly stills (which I think is the target audience) and I can't really get that thrilled about f/1.4 primes.

How fast do you need a lens to be? f1.4 is not exactly slow, and DoF would be pretty thin on FF. Hell they are big enough now, let alone making them bigger like that crazy 58mm f/0.95 S Noct MF Nikon Z lens is!

This is definitely a good start, but if Sigma really wants to add something to the L-Mount, their DSLR port over lenses aren't all that interesting. The adapter/converter is way more helpful.

I'm a big fan of Panasonic and the S1 is very interesting. I would love it if Sigma starts doing for the L-Mount what Zeiss did for the E-Mount - namely two beautiful lens lineups that are small, lightweight, and sharp. A smaller f2 lineup with manual focus (like the Loxia) and hard stops would be great. As would a Batis-like lens lineup - compact and powerful. Leica will always be uber expensive and it seems Panasonic is going for high-end sharpness - so Sigma could find a sweet spot in making f2 versions of their Art Primes and size them accordingly (300-400 grams).

Will probably wait a year to see what Panasonic does in the L-Mount video space, with lens releases, and what Sigma does with lenses that are actually designed for the L-Mount. But being a big Panasonic fan, hoping they can do well here. 

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Yehouda said:

SIGMA announces L-mount version of their prime lenses and an new EF to L-mount adapter.

https://www.l-rumors.com/sigma-announces-the-release-of-12-new-l-mount-art-lenses/

https://www.l-rumors.com/sigma-announces-the-new-canon-ef-to-l-mount-mc-21-adapter/

Good news for S1/R!

And absolutely punching the air level of good news for us Leica SL owners, especially the EF adapter.

For Novoflex, possibly not such good news.

13 hours ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Hi end lenses are about NOT having character, which in fact are defaults. 

Depends on what you mean by a high end lens and what they are designed for.      I would not expect "character" in a higher level macro lens but in a portrait lens, sometimes yes sure.      Sigma has come a long way in the last few years.     I have had a few that were not so good (one was about the best built lens I have had but was worse than a coke bottle optically - some weird 200mm lens from decades ago), Sigma lenses had the same importer to Australia as Pentax so Sigma zooms were often Pentax kit lenses here.     That said, even though it isn't an art lens, the 150 2.8 APO macro (mine is the older non stabilized version) is one of my favourites and I have liked using it on M43 Panasonic, FF Sony  and for now I even use it on a Canon APSC (EF mount).      An ancient 180 5.6 APO macro wasn't all that horrible either.

18 hours ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Hi end lenses are about NOT having character, which in fact are defaults. 

Totally agree.

In a sense it's like choosing between purified water or cordial.  If I'm thirsty then I'd choose cordial because I like it and I might put it in a cake, but if I was baking bread or making soup then I wouldn't want the cordial in there at all!

I've gone totally nuts into learning about lenses recently, vintage vs modern, organic vs sharp, fast vs slow, etc and one thing I stumbled upon was that people have a modern set and a 'character set' or 'vintage set' and they choose the right one for the particular project and the aesthetic they want.

I have the Sigma 18-35 and it is a phenomenal lens - it is legendary for good reason.  But the CY Zeiss lenses are also legendary, precisely because they don't look like the high end modern lenses.  Modern lenses are great because they are purified water, and vintage lenses are great because they add flavour.