When will we see afforadble EVF's?

Mako Sports

I'm a sports videographer so most of the time i'm shooting bright daylight exteriors and I thought with the recent craze in external monitors being significantly more affordable in 2018 than years past when will we see affordable 3rd party on camera EVF's?

The only manufacture that makes such a product is Zacuto and I'm sure every one is aware of their ludicrous pricing as they have a monopoly on that sector of the video/cinema market.

Since none of the current mirrorless cameras have tilting EVFs and basically EVERY camera on the market under $15K has a pretty terrible on camera LCD screen, I'm surprised we haven't seen a surge with an affordable EVF. 

image.png.7d1ccc8a0570a9183b64bdfe208836b0.png

I wish for a similar product but something a bit more reasonable at the $750 - $1000 range. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, homestar_kevin said:

On the very cheap end, the older zacuto Z-Finder EVF is very affordable used.

Not the latest and greatest, but pretty sweet for what it is and the price point they're at now.

Yeah but when I was researching Canon C100, C300 cameras people that bought them regretted the hell out of them. They burnt the screen on those cameras something terrible. Not sure if other camera screens are that sensitive to sunlight being magnified, but looks like Canon cameras sure don't like them. No way I would buy one.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-262002.html

The Zacuto does cost a few dollars, but you will be very glad to have spent the money when it comes to monitoring your image and keeping everything sharp, and well exposed. I use the Gratical HD it is a little large and powers from a Canon LP E6N for a long time, or when I"m working with an Anton Bauer system camera I use a D Tap. The features in the Gratical are many and you can customize the features you need. The plus with the Gratical HD versus the Gratical Eye is you can power the unit from one Canon LP E6N and also use SDI or HDMI to connect to your camera, the outputs also loop through for another device if needed. I paid $1250.00 used, with an Axis arm a year ago. For outside, or anywhere you will be glad you have it.   

On 12/29/2018 at 9:45 PM, Mako Sports said:

Since none of the current mirrorless cameras have tilting EVFs

I few do. Such as Panasonic's GX7 / GX8 / GX9

On 12/29/2018 at 9:45 PM, Mako Sports said:

I wish for a similar product but something a bit more reasonable at the $750 - $1000 range. 

I reckon the best "cheaper ish" options are the SmallHD SideFinder or any of the numerous "daylight bright" monitors which have came out recently.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Also, a question...

The Panasonic quotes the GH5 EVF as having "3,680k dots" but does this mean 3.6MPixels, or is it counting the RGB lights in a pixel separately (which would mean it's about 1.2MPixels)?

It is not the same. They are talking R, G, B stuff. It is still pretty impressive looking though one though either way, especially at night..

https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3064390

50 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

It is not the same. They are talking R, G, B stuff. It is still pretty impressive looking though one though either way, especially at night..

https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3064390

Cool.  So, 3680 dots <is about> 1.2MP <is about> 1240x990 resolution (assuming a 5:4 aspect ratio).  I just wondered because the viewfinders in the video I posted were 720p and 1080p and I wondered how the GH5 compared.  He said that there was a slight difference between 720 and 1080, but that 720 was ample.

I must say that the viewfinder is very nice, especially when you put on fast and high quality glass :)

• 2 months later...

I recently put together a Zacuto EVF and Z-finder - that's the original EVF that predates the Gratical stuff - for quite a reasonable price.  The resolution is low in comparison with contemporary camera EVF's, but it's sufficient for nailing focus, and the device is exceptionally well-featured (False Color, 1:1 pixel zoom, even Anamorphic de-squeeze!).

I don't know if these are still in production, but there are still brand new items available in the wild.

I got the EVF Flip brand new (clearance discounted) for 369 Pounds ( 480 US $), and the Z-finder Grade A ex-demo, with an additional mounting plate for 246 Pounds (321 $), which is not bad overall.

Probably someone like SmallHD is gonna make a great budget EVF to make me regret my purchase, lol.

product_detailed_image_30997_1118.jpg

How is that powered? I can't see any space for a battery, and looks like you can only use that DC 7-24v socket. That alone makes it difficult on smaller systems. The Zacuto EVF runs on LP-E6, which makes it a better solution in that respect.

Hopefully I'm just missing something though.