Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The camera does feature some improvements over the mark III.

The viewfinder is higher resolution than those previously found on Sony cameras.

The IV has ~160 more PDAF points than the III, so it will start to approach a9 tracking capabilities (not quite there yet). 

For video the oversampling uses a 2.4x base data set, whereas on the III it was 1.8x. That should improve the quality of what is being shot, both in terms of resolution and color accuracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, androidlad said:

"A7SIII" will use the Quad Bayer version of this sensor, IMX521CQR.

So the A7Siii be a 15MP sensor? Will it be 14bit or 16-bit (not that anyone will use it for photos). More importantly, will it have 10-bit video, in 420 or 422 format, and will it be internal or external? Any information in other video features? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Despite many similarities with IMX455, this IMX551 is not off-the-shelf, it's Sony exclusive.

It will never the less incorporate modes designed for other purposes. They do not completely reinvent the wheel every time they come up with a new die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Androidlad, i don"t understand... This new imx551 have 16 lane readout for video as you say , vs 1 lane imx445.... and get 21ms rolling shutter apsc? What the deal? There's nothing crazy about or not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gianluca said:

Androidlad, i don"t understand... This new imx551 have 16 lane readout for video as you say , vs 1 lane imx445.... and get 21ms rolling shutter apsc? What the deal? There's nothing crazy about or not? 

Sony still hasn't figured out how to deal with the heat yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

Sony still hasn't figured out how to deal with the heat yet.  

It is the thermal efficiency of the processor that is the issue.

Remember that this camera has to deal with a 20.1 megapixel frame, unlike the 15.1 megapixel frame that the mark III used. 

Next week's announcement will likely be the new RX100

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes this is a photo camera and not a video oriented camera clearly. 

With 60mp + A9 ai enhanced auto focus, nearly 6K evf resolution, 10 fps, and 15 stops of dynamic range. 

Without a doubt this is the best camera on the market for stills photography all around. I don't think the Nikon Z9 will have nearly as good autofocus, and even if canon were to pull something off with specs like this it would be over $10,000 cause "Canon Tax". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t call it the best camera for stills. I’d still rather use the Nikon Z7 or Panasonic S1R. Or even the EOS R. It’s not all about resolution. I’d rather have the colours of a Nikon or Canon. Ergonomics and reliability are important. I’d love to have that much resolution for prints but there are other things equally important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Castorp said:

I wouldn’t call it the best camera for stills. I’d still rather use the Nikon Z7 or Panasonic S1R. Or even the EOS R. It’s not all about resolution. I’d rather have the colours of a Nikon or Canon. Ergonomics and reliability are important. I’d love to have that much resolution for prints but there are other things equally important. 

"Best all around" I should say. None of those cameras listed have nearly as good autofocus and the ergos/build quality seem to be upgraded from the r3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

"Best all around" I should say. None of those cameras listed have nearly as good autofocus and the ergos/build quality seem to be upgraded from the r3

The AF on the EOS R is excellent. And in video there is none of  micro-hunting nonsense that the Sonys exhibit. As for ergos, menus overall usability most anything trumps Sony. 

Sony might make the sensors that  lot of manufacturers use. But in almost all cases, the outside manufacturers do a better job of implementing those sensors than does Sony.

1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

Yes this is a photo camera and not a video oriented camera clearly. 

With 60mp + A9 ai enhanced auto focus, nearly 6K evf resolution, 10 fps, and 15 stops of dynamic range. 

Without a doubt this is the best camera on the market for stills photography all around. I don't think the Nikon Z9 will have nearly as good autofocus, and even if canon were to pull something off with specs like this it would be over $10,000 cause "Canon Tax". 

No doubt the next Canon flagship will come with a hefty price tag. But those canon flagships are built like tanks and are super easy to shoot with. They make getting great shots so easy it's almost like cheating. I'm not saying you can't get great shots with a Sony, but the Canons definitely have some mojo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, androidlad said:

S1 has 28ms in FF 4K, 12ms in cropped 4K 60P.

That's a pretty good number for crop.

I believe C300 Mk II is 8.3ms, C200 is either 16.7ms or 8.3ms, and EVA1 is 16.7? 

Any idea if that's right? Any idea what the S1H might end up being?

Sounds like the A7SIII will be the one to look forward to. That and the S1H, I guess, but Panasonic will have trouble hitting that rolling shutter figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Canon or Nikon shooters are not switching to the A7RIV - they will all wait and see what their brand is doing. 

You are correct, I believe anyone that was truly considering switching brands has already done so at this point, and the rest really are in it for the long haul with their respective brands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Castorp said:

I wouldn’t call it the best camera for stills. I’d still rather use the Nikon Z7 or Panasonic S1R. Or even the EOS R. It’s not all about resolution. I’d rather have the colours of a Nikon or Canon. Ergonomics and reliability are important. I’d love to have that much resolution for prints but there are other things equally important. 

If you were using a camera like this for stills then you would probably be shooting in RAW. The color will be what you make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...