I might get the C200

Oliver Daniel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

So I've just experienced working with images from the C200.... absolutely stunned! So stunned that I'm considering getting one. 

Who has experience with it? @DBounce

My main reservations... Cfast2 card costs. Storage costs when shooting raw. Anyone got any pointers here? 

There are plugins for RawLite that make it reasonable to work with.  I mainly use Resolve for C200 footage as there is more control. I tend to buy Prograde CFast cards.  They just work... so why take chances?  To save space I often leave the files in place and edit directly off the card. If you are working on any non 4k projects you can output excellent 2k 10bit to an external recorder.

I know there is a third party external SSD adapter, but I have never used it, so cannot speak to its reliability.

The C200 is an epic cinema camera. Great AF... is truly usable. Good lowlight performance, nice sounding preamps. Great battery life. You can fly it on the Ronin S, but for that I use a support vest with arm as it gets heavy. 

Lots of latitude with the footage and great dynamic range. Don't think you can go wrong. 

Fyi: can't recall ever shooting 8bit on this camera. I have other smaller cameras that can do that. If you buy the C200 shoot raw or 2k 10bit.

I have used the camera a few times, honestly we could have been used the C100 for the same projects. My friend that owns it, doesn't even have CF cards or shoot raw, ever.

This is a very expensive camera for what it does in my opinion (at least at some European countries).

In the pro market here most buy FS7ii or C300mkII (not too many).I would be looking at one of those, or even EVA/Ursa mini pro, the P4K seems to cover my needs in a very low price range.

36 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

So I've just experienced working with images from the C200.... absolutely stunned! So stunned that I'm considering getting one. 

Who has experience with it? @DBounce

My main reservations... Cfast2 card costs. Storage costs when shooting raw. Anyone got any pointers here? 

How do you feel it compares to the EVA1? I've used the C200 in 8 bit and love the colour but wasn't crazy about the camera itself. I mainly run and gun though, so I found it heavy.

10 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

How do you feel it compares to the EVA1? I've used the C200 in 8 bit and love the colour but wasn't crazy about the camera itself. I mainly run and gun though, so I found it heavy.

I did / still sort of have an EVA1 on order but there are stock problems with the vendor i was getting a deal from, but I'm exploring the C200 as those files are like gold! 

31 minutes ago, DBounce said:

There are plugins for RawLite that make it reasonable to work with.  I mainly use Resolve for C200 footage as there is more control. I tend to buy Prograde CFast cards.  They just work... so why take chances?  To save space I often leave the files in place and edit directly off the card. If you are working on any non 4k projects you can output excellent 2k 10bit to an external recorder.

I know there is a third party external SSD adapter, but I have never used it, so cannot speak to its reliability.

The C200 is an epic cinema camera. Great AF... is truly usable. Good lowlight performance, nice sounding preamps. Great battery life. You can fly it on the Ronin S, but for that I use a support vest with arm as it gets heavy. 

Lots of latitude with the footage and great dynamic range. Don't think you can go wrong. 

Fyi: can't recall ever shooting 8bit on this camera. I have other smaller cameras that can do that. If you buy the C200 shoot raw or 2k 10bit.

Thank you. 

How does the 2k 10 bit hold up? 

What support arm do you use for the Ronin-S? 

4 hours ago, austinchimp said:

I feel like unless you really need that RAW internally, the EVA 1 is better in every way except auto focus ?

20 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I feel like unless you really need that RAW internally, the EVA 1 is better in every way except auto focus ?

And except the build quality... and the EVF... and the much better screen... and the extra stop of ND... I could go on, but you get the point.

Everyone says that, but this is clearly a RAW camera for people who want top notch cinema images at low cost (by the crazy standards of this industry!).  If they had also included mid-level codecs, who would then buy a C300?  They would have destroyed their own highly-successful line of cameras.

22 minutes ago, DBounce said:

4k 60p is 10bit.

Since when? You must choose between 8 bits or 12 bits cinema lite raw.

21 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

Everyone says that, but this is clearly a RAW camera for people who want top notch cinema images at low cost (by the crazy standards of this industry!).  If they had also included mid-level codecs, who would then buy a C300?  They would have destroyed their own highly-successful line of cameras.

The C300mk2 doesn't shoot 4k60.

Beside that the C200 looks like a fantastic camera but Cfast cards or so expensive. It's not even a matter or transcoding in post but shooting in 12 bits requires a lot of cards (and of course, 4k is not available in ext recording).

1 minute ago, OliKMIA said:

Since when? You must choose between 8 bits or 12 bits cinema lite raw.

Beside that the C200 looks like a fantastic camera but Cfast cards or so expensive. It's not even a matter or transcoding in post but shooting in 12 bits requires a lot of cards.

Since forever... the C200 drops to 10bit when shooting 4k 60p in RawLite.

As for the cost of CFast... well yeah, depending on your budget it may seem expensive.

2 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Since forever... the C200 drops to 10bit when shooting 4k 60p in RawLite.

As for the cost of CFast... well yeah, depending on your budget it may seem expensive.

Nice, thanks for the info. But what's the size of the 10 bits files in raw lite compared to 12 bits?

30 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Purely image quality wise, the C200 or C300ii just looks way better though. The skin tones are close to Arri. It depends what you shoot I suppose.

That's just a matter of taste though, I'm a Canon shooter but happen to prefer the Eva and Varicam colour science. They all make beautiful images though so just depends whether you want to shoot predominantly RAW internal or you need more flexible edit ready codecs

If you want to do 10bit I think the EVA1 comes out on top as you get it internal. If you are doing RAW, the canon has it internal. That said if you are using an external recorder anyways the Canon is probably top dog with the auto focus. Not sure on low light, the Panasonic dual iso looks very nice at 5000.