Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

20 minutes ago, andrew_dotdot said:

Zooming = uneven exposure. Is this a thing with the X-T3?  --> So, I'm filming with my Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 lens, with the aperture locked at 4.0, ISO locked down, shutter speed 1/50th...

What I expect: Since f4 should be available through the whole zoom range, I'd expect the exposure to stay the same through the whole zoom.

What I see: Zooming in, it slowly gets darker, then snaps back to lighter three times on the way in. And vice-versa on the way out.  

Anybody know a way to avoid this or a workaround?

If you search this forum, this questions has been answered a few times.

The abrupt exposure shifts are due to aperture changes designed to facilitate movement of lens elements during zooming.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, androidlad said:

If you search this forum, this questions has been answered a few times.

The abrupt exposure shifts are due to aperture changes designed to facilitate movement of lens elements during zooming.

thx for the confirmation. I thought it might be broken, since I worked with Canon for a long time and never had that with their zooms. It's the Fuji sawtooth aesthetic for the aperture vs zoom curve, I suppose. :)

5 hours ago, androidlad said:

Новая симуляция Classic Negative будет доступна для X-T3, X-T30 и GFX100 через обновления прошивки в конце этого года.

It seems like October 23rd or at FujiFest

What's the consensus on external recorder for the X-T3?
Looking for most reliable capturing the full 10-bit 4:2:2 4K 60P output with monitor (other value-add features, great, but not necessary)
Editing on a Mac in Premiere Pro.

Atomos Ninja V? Blackmagic Video Assist?

27 minutes ago, jpleong said:

Looking for most reliable capturing the full 10-bit 4:2:2 4K 60P output with monitor (other value-add features, great, but not necessary)

Both are reliable systems. The Blackmagic's are brighter, Ninja V is more affordable though and seems plenty bright. 

I'm happy to report the "crushed blacks" problem with X-T3 H265 files on 2018 Mac Mini (with T2) has been fixed in OSX Catalina. 

I am back to editing HEVC from X-T3 natively in Final Cut Pro.  I am using a stock Mac Mini i5 with only 8GB memory and get smooth playback with the viewer set to "better performance".

In Catalina the scopes show the lowest black levels being set at Zero IRE or above, whereas in Mojave the blacks were actually going down to about -10 IRE and but getting cut off at Zero IRE. (This was only a problem on Macs with T2 chip?)

No need to transcode to ProRes and reset the black levels manually anymore!

I just received the Ninja this weekend and started playing with it. Used it on a commercial gig tonight. It's pretty user friendly and easy to set up. The touch screen can be a tiny bit wonky at times and there are no physical buttons. It's nice to have 4K files that my computer doesn't hack up like hairballs.

The biggest surprise for me is how noisy the fan can be. Even recording audio off camera with a hypercardioid mic I'm having to get room tone and scrub the noise in Audition.

A lot of people think the new Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR  will be better, buI got the Ninja instead of waiting for because I might have a job this weekend that calls for unlimited recording and because it can do DCI 4k 60. For some reason, the 12G HDR won't do more than 4k 30p in DCI. The Ninja and a 1T WD Blue SSD is still less than the Blackmagic 5 inch with no storage

The 12G HDR does take both UHS-II cards and USB-C flash disks like the Samsung T-5 though, both of which almost everyone has in their kit already. Honestly, if the BM comes into stock in the next few weeks and people can confirm it's not as noisy as the Ninja, I might return the Atomos and try out the Blackmagic. 

14 hours ago, jpleong said:

Thanks thebrothersthre3 and EphraimP!

Elsewhere on EOSHD there were observations about flaky connections to the Atomos Ninja -have either of you found that to be the case?

JP

Haven't had any issues on my Ninja 2, the thing I am more worried about is the micro HDMI connection on my fuji. But yeah its pretty solid. 

I haven't used the Ninja enough to get any connections problems yet. I got a package deal from Adorama that included the Atomos cable with the 90 degree micro HDMI cable end and I do worry that the bend is in the wrong direction and may cause problems with a connection down the line. I picked up the HDMI cable clamp that SmallRig recommends for their X-T3 cage, but it doesn't work with the Atomos cable because of the bend. I definitely want to find one that works.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:16 PM, jpleong said:

Thanks thebrothersthre3 and EphraimP!

Elsewhere on EOSHD there were observations about flaky connections to the Atomos Ninja -have either of you found that to be the case?

JP

I couldn't get mine to work in 4k so sent it back.

Tried 3 of the highest quality cables I could find.

Software may have been updated since however as it was 6+ months ago?

On 10/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, jpleong said:

Wait for the blackmagic if you value audio. Preamps in the Ninja V are reportedly terrible.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:04 AM, Jay60p said:

I'm happy to report the "crushed blacks" problem with X-T3 H265 files on 2018 Mac Mini (with T2) has been fixed in OSX Catalina. 

I am back to editing HEVC from X-T3 natively in Final Cut Pro.  I am using a stock Mac Mini i5 with only 8GB memory and get smooth playback with the viewer set to "better performance".

Thanks for the info! I need to upgrade my late 2013 Macbook Pro and I had the Mac Mini in mind. 

On 10/12/2019 at 7:53 AM, Geoff CB said:

Wait for the blackmagic if you value audio. Preamps in the Ninja V are reportedly terrible.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:33 AM, MrSMW said:

I couldn't get mine to work in 4k so sent it back.

Tried 3 of the highest quality cables I could find.

Software may have been updated since however as it was 6+ months ago?

Thanks for those additional insights!

I have a love/hate relationship with BM products going back over a decade (some winners and some really bad clunkers). So far, it looks like a 2v2 toss-up... I think I can wait to drop a $1000 USD to be sure I make the "right" choice.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:54 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Haven't had any issues on my Ninja 2, the thing I am more worried about is the micro HDMI connection on my fuji. But yeah its pretty solid. 

After using the Ninja V on a concert shoot this weekend, I'm feeling the pain of the micro HDMI connection. I had used the monitor a day or two before for a corporate shoot at an acupuncturist's office, and didn't have any problems with it locked down on sticks or with a bit of handheld to get b-roll. 

The first evening of a two-day concert event I got booked for, the mini HDMI end of the cable came out multiple times and the metal male insert ended up bending. I think a big part of the problem the 90 degree bend in the Atomos cable. It bends in such a way that it exerts pressure on the connection and basically "wants" to break it. And is so thick that the recommended SmallRig cable clamp for my cage doesn't fit it. I can't find a clamp that will work. 

Luckily, I didn't pay for the damn cable, I found a package deal from Adorama on Amazon that bundled the cable with the monitor for the normal price. I'm definitely going to ask Adorama to warranty the cable. Can anyone recommend a legit to mini HDMI cable with a straight emd that will record 4k 60 and isn't 10 feet long?

4 hours ago, EphraimP said:

After using the Ninja V on a concert shoot this weekend, I'm feeling the pain of the micro HDMI connection. I had used the monitor a day or two before for a corporate shoot at an acupuncturist's office, and didn't have any problems with it locked down on sticks or with a bit of handheld to get b-roll. 

The first evening of a two-day concert event I got booked for, the mini HDMI end of the cable came out multiple times and the metal male insert ended up bending. I think a big part of the problem the 90 degree bend in the Atomos cable. It bends in such a way that it exerts pressure on the connection and basically "wants" to break it. And is so thick that the recommended SmallRig cable clamp for my cage doesn't fit it. I can't find a clamp that will work. 

Luckily, I didn't pay for the damn cable, I found a package deal from Adorama on Amazon that bundled the cable with the monitor for the normal price. I'm definitely going to ask Adorama to warranty the cable. Can anyone recommend a legit to mini HDMI cable with a straight emd that will record 4k 60 and isn't 10 feet long?

https://www.lindy.ie/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/0-5m-cromo-slim-high-speed-hdmi-to-micro-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-p7228

20 hours ago, EphraimP said:

I am using 8sinn cage after Smallrig. More expensive, but way better clamp for mini HDMI. I also use the 8sinn cable.