Sony a7SIII - Full Frame 4K 60fps 10bit with Flip Out Screen

Dave Maze

I hate fully articulating screens. I just like my screen to tilt up and down like Sony's current screens or better still, Fuji's which also articulates side ways for shooting portrait stills. Flip outs always seem so flimsy and hard to work with when you have hdmi ports/ cables in the way. 

The next logical step for Sony's A7S series is internal 4k@60p and internal 10bit as well. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Tone1k said:

I hate fully articulating screens. I just like my screen to tilt up and down like Sony's current screens or better still, Fuji's which also articulates side ways for shooting portrait stills. Flip outs always seem so flimsy and hard to work with when you have hdmi ports/ cables in the way. 

The next logical step for Sony's A7S series is internal 4k@60p and internal 10bit as well. 

Nobody really complains about the GH5 screen.

All that is needed is a hinge along the top of the articulated screen so it can be flipped out when flat against the camera back.

Best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nobody really complains about the GH5 screen.

All that is needed is a hinge along the top of the articulated screen so it can be flipped out when flat against the camera back.

Best of both worlds.

I haven't used the GH5 but if it can't be tilted up and down without having the screen opened out, then I'm really not interested although yes, a hinge on top would give best of both I suppose.

I predominately use my Mirrorless for stills and just don't like the ergonomics of a screen hanging off the side of the camera when in use. I really don't know why people make a big deal of the feature unless you take lots of selfies.....or vlog I suppose. 

I can’t stand fully articulated screens. They’re pretty much a deal breaker for me. Reason? Takes much longer time to flip out and needs tuning. I need to twist the the thing out and the turn the screen to the right position.

With a simple flip out screen it’s one movement, just like opening the finder on my 500CM.

I can’t deal with vloggers who act as if their very specific selfie needs are a general thing. I almost never point the camera at myself and if I would the smartphone app is better since it now only shows me the cameras view but also offers remote exposure control.

The Fujifilm mechanism for the X-H1 is the best I’ve handled.

I also do not understand why many vloggers advocate for the full articulation in all the cameras. It’s not like I jump into GH5 threads and whine and scream about the screen and how I hope they remove it in the GH6 or “I will never buy one”. 

The speed and convenience of a flip out is superior and I bet benefit many more photographers than an articulated does. 2 moves vs 1. Adds up over time. 

10 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

10bit is confirmed. RX0 is Sony's first prosumer camera to output 10bit 422 via HDMI, there will be more to come.

not for a possible A7siii. so i felt, threads headline was raising too high of my expectations. Good thing I got some entertainment with some kinotika videos right after that. Fun channel and pleasure to watch.

On 9/8/2018 at 1:26 AM, Snowbro said:

I thought the overheating thing was long done, but I saw tons of videos testing it and it's still happening (just 4k 24p 8 bit internal) even indoors. 22min for the a7iii, longer for the a7riii, but still under 35 min in the tests I saw. That be really embarrassing if you have an interview with someone important, that has limited time and you keep having your camera overheat before you can finish the interview... I don't see how they are going to pull off 4k 60 without external, let alone 4k 60 with 10 bit internal. That would be awesome if they did though. 

I understand YMMV, but I shoot 4K video regularly with both the A7III and A7RIII trackside, where it is often 120° ambient and I have yet to even received a heat warning. I think most reports of overheating are from folks that don’t know to enable high heat operation. 

I’ve had plenty overheating problems with previous models (NEX7, A7RII, A7SII, A99II all overheated horribly), but these current ones are so reliable I don’t even keep them out of the sun between shoots anymore. I let them bake and they don’t even flinch.

The attached video is me shooting for Subaru with the A7III mounted to a Ronin shooting 4K internal after the camera sat in direct sun for an hour (I was shooting with the R3 on sticks leading up to this) in 100°+ weather.   

In addition to shots like this, I also conducted several 20+ minute interviews in similar conditions without issue. 

Don't think I've seen this in this thread, but first and foremost I need PDAF AF in video mode; not the slow CDAF that was in a7S+a7sII.  Second, I'd love to see that super high slowmo enabled that they have in the 1" sensor cameras and the FS700/FS5 - the 1080/240.  How great would non-cropped full frame 1080/240 be?  Third, a flip out screen would be great.

Do we even care if it's 12 or 20 megapixels?  I don't.  A7s in a pinch took wonderful stills.  I don't need it to be a landscape camera...

20 minutes ago, jonpais said:

It will have PDAF for sure. I personally like the cleaner more detailed image from oversampling, as well as the possibility of shooting s35 mode from a sensor like that of the a7 III.

Loving the new avatar btw! ?

Well, the a7rII and a7ii both had PDAF while the a7S2 didn't (and was released after those two.  Don't know if it's a foregone conclusion.  Dual card slots, updated battery is.

36 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

Well, the a7rII and a7ii both had PDAF while the a7S2 didn't (and was released after those two.  Don't know if it's a foregone conclusion.  Dual card slots, updated battery is.

It s because they reused the same sensor on the a7s/a7sII, DPAF is partially built in the sensor, they did that to save cost.

but we will get a new sensor for sure on the a7sIII, so we will also get DPAF.

1 hour ago, Laurier said:

It s because they reused the same sensor on the a7s/a7sII, DPAF is partially built in the sensor, they did that to save cost.

but we will get a new sensor for sure on the a7sIII, so we will also get DPAF.

I could see Sony reusing the existing A7sII 12MP sensor and updating the memory slots, battery, menu and a couple other new tweaks and calling it a day.  Got to save something for the A7sIV you know...

28 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

I could see Sony reusing the existing A7sII 12MP sensor and updating the memory slots, battery, menu and a couple other new tweaks and calling it a day.  Got to save something for the A7sIV you know...

Then they repeated the same trick for the a7Smk4....

"Got to save something for the a7Smk5 you know...."