Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Nikon Z6 features 4K N-LOG, 10bit HDMI output and 120fps 1080p

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's definitely 100% capable of it.

If a 2019 Canon 50D can be HACKED into doing raw video to old compact flash cards, Nikon has zero excuses on a 4K 2019 camera with XQD!

All cameras video comes off the sensor as raw data... In this case 6K full pixel readout raw data.

6K RAW to XQD card is not beyond this camera, and neither is 4K or 1080p raw.

Seems like it would be a smart move, what do they have to lose. What do I know tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I want to see Nikon add internal RAW! 

That would be fantastic. The main thing that has kept me from trying it out is the XQD card. I know most places are including a free one right now but a 120gb one is $200 and the internal capabilities of the camera are still beneath those of the X-T3. Where's the benefit of the XQD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thomas Hill said:

That would be fantastic. The main thing that has kept me from trying it out is the XQD card. I know most places are including a free one right now but a 120gb one is $200 and the internal capabilities of the camera are still beneath those of the X-T3. Where's the benefit of the XQD?

Yeah would be worth it for RAW tho. Seems like internal 10 bit of some sort should be possible too but RAW is what I think would be really sweet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I say, it's easier to understand what RAW is if you look at Magic Lantern, it's very simple stuff.

The sensor -> Live view buffer -> Raw data direct to the card = RAW video.

Only advanced raw codecs and compression need extra processing power.

Unprocessed raw virtually none... And 12 bit RAW can be a form of compression that reduces file sizes, as can using lower resolutions.

All cameras that have live-view are doing raw video. Yes even a $50 compact from 2004.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some footage from Z6. 

Portrait Profile

Sharpening -3

Mid-range sharpening -1

Contrast -2.5

 

On the format topic, all I really wish for is 10-bit 4:2:2. Internal raw is overkill for my needs. If I'm shooting raw I'm going to be on a set and need monitor anyway, far cheaper to record to SSD in that situation than XQD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 10:32 PM, Geoff CB said:

Default Sharpness on Nikon is very high and needs to be turned down out of the box for video. 

One thing that no one has mentioned is the Mid-range sharpening setting on the Z series. Turning it down a little bit softens skin and an create a more creamy look. 

I tested the camera before the upgrade and it fell short of my D750 for AF, the new firmware brings it on par with that camera. Good enough for me! 

Have captured white balance data as a preference? And for video what settings give you the best color and dynamic range with the most cinematic look?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Have captured white balance data as a preference? And for video what settings give you the best color and dynamic range with the most cinematic look?

Portrait Profile and change these:

Sharpening -3

Mid-range sharpening -1

Contrast -2.5

I have given up using log or flat profiles in 8-bit. It is never worth it, and you loose color information. The increase in color information is worth loosing some DR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Portrait Profile and change these:

Sharpening -3

Mid-range sharpening -1

Contrast -2.5

I have given up using log or flat profiles in 8-bit. It is never worth it, and you loose color information. The increase in color information is worth loosing some DR.

Which profile is best for DR?

And any idea when 12bit Video RAW is coming ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Which profile is best for DR?

And any idea when 12bit Video RAW is coming ?

1) Buy an external recorder so you can get n-log or buy Andrew's log profile. 

2) I am not employed by Atomos or Nikon, so I have no idea :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

1) Buy an external recorder so you can get n-log or buy Andrew's log profile. 

2) I am not employed by Atomos or Nikon, so I have no idea :)

I thought you tested the profiles. Really? I thought you were employed by Nikon for some reason.

I messaged Andrew about log profile and no response yet.

I'll be getting the Atomos recorder once I get the P4K and 12bit Raw comes out for the Z6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 11:12 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Fuck, this camera is a glorious failure.

It only hurts for me and other early adopters. The rest of you are going to get a bargain!!

Why failure?

On 7/4/2019 at 11:24 AM, Geoff_L said:

DEAL ALERT !!

If you live in Switzerland or near the boundary : Interdiscount website

The Z6 + 24-70 f4s at 1782€ (today exchange rate) in a reputable store, til the end of the week !

The same price as the Fuji X-T3 + 18-55, woah, crazy ! In 6 months, we will be able to buy one and enter the EOSHD cheap camera challenge 😁

Thinking about it, when the ProresRaw update will be available, it will be a damn awesome deal !!
 

Too bad it doesn't ship outside Switzerland...

Can anyone summarize what's all thing with Nikon being a failure, prices falling and stuff? I'm confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sandro said:

Why failure?

Too bad it doesn't ship outside Switzerland...

Can anyone summarize what's all thing with Nikon being a failure, prices falling and stuff? I'm confused.

Maybe Andrew was thinking about the quick collapse of prices, which could reflect difficulties for Nikon to sell them ?

The camera cost around 3000€ (between 2800 and 3000, depending on stores) with kit lens and adapter, back in November when it was released here (and when I bought it). Now, you can buy a brand new one with kit lens for around 1800€. In the meantime, the direct competitors do not move a lot : A7 iii, which is older, is still around 2300€, body only, and with summer sales it cost around 1900/2000€, still body only ;  while the EOS R still cost 2500€, body + adapter, and 2000/2100€ with summer rebates.

In the end, no matter why it collapses like that, as Andrew said the good thing is it can be grabbed for a pretty great price (which will be better on top of that with the coming firmware !)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A sale doesn’t necessarily mean a camera isn’t selling. It can also be aggressive marketing. Just like Canon practically were giving away cameras in the 90’s, not because they weren’t selling, but to gain market share. 

Nikon got a lot of flak for not marketing. Now they’re getting flak for marketing. 

Sony is in a good place since they have an established system already. Canon is the market leader. Both have less incentive than Nikon to market hard.

Or perhaps Nikon aren’t selling? Who knows.

Fujifilm have been doing regular sales for the past years despite doing well for example. Giving away free software updates is another example of marketing. A software engineer isn’t any less costly than a hardware engineer per hour.

Sony were eating huge costs during the first years of the A7. New models were released constantly and the price of the “old” models were reduced. Meanwhile Nikon were selling the D750 and Canon the 6D for years with better profit and returns on investment.

I don’t see Nikon’s marketing now being necessarily different from Sony’s marketing a couple years ago. 

The only conclusion is that I don’t know. Unless a person has extensive education and experience in the relevant field of economics, and good connections with manufacturers I don’t think they have a clue either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sandro said:

Too bad it doesn't ship outside Switzerland...

 

Although not as cheap as that price, there are a lot of places in Switzerland that offer it at a healthy discount over the UK price for example.

I've bought a few Nikon cameras in Switzerland over the years as whilst its much of a muchness for other brands it has always been a lot cheaper for Nikon gear.

Have a look at these other stores and see if they will ship it.

https://www.toppreise.ch/price-comparison/Digital-cameras/NIKON-Z6-Kit-Z-24-70mm-F-4-0-FTZ-Lens-Adapter-VOA020K003-p536812

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Castorp said:

A sale doesn’t necessarily mean a camera isn’t selling. It can also be aggressive marketing. Just like Canon practically were giving away cameras in the 90’s, not because they weren’t selling, but to gain market share. 

Nikon got a lot of flak for not marketing. Now they’re getting flak for marketing. 

Sony is in a good place since they have an established system already. Canon is the market leader. Both have less incentive than Nikon to market hard.

Or perhaps Nikon aren’t selling? Who knows.

Fujifilm have been doing regular sales for the past years despite doing well for example. Giving away free software updates is another example of marketing. A software engineer isn’t any less costly than a hardware engineer per hour.

Sony were eating huge costs during the first years of the A7. New models were released constantly and the price of the “old” models were reduced. Meanwhile Nikon were selling the D750 and Canon the 6D for years with better profit and returns on investment.

I don’t see Nikon’s marketing now being necessarily different from Sony’s marketing a couple years ago. 

The only conclusion is that I don’t know. Unless a person has extensive education and experience in the relevant field of economics, and good connections with manufacturers I don’t think they have a clue either. 

Yes true, and economics is a field I know nothing about so I won't presume anything ahah 😄
But still, in your examples, canon and fujifilm are deliberate sales, cashback etc. Here, with Nikon, it is just the market prices going down or some shops that deliberately cut the price in a surprising way...
But as you said, maybe the point is to establish a users basis, pushing the adoption of existing Nikon dslr users, and quickly move to a 2nd generation that will be really above competition (which the z6 already is in a lot of areas).

Anyway, this is good news for us customers 😄
Oh, and we can add to your examples the flash sales of blackmagic some years ago, with a pocket cinema camera almost sold for half its regular price (if I remember !) ! We can dream the same thing with the bmpcc4k...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Oh, and we can add to your examples the flash sales of blackmagic some years ago, with a pocket cinema camera almost sold for half its regular price (if I remember !) ! We can dream the same thing with the bmpcc4k...


You still can't buy a BMPCC OG for $500 new today!

Even secondhand they're often selling for that price or more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...