Samsung Galaxy Note 9

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Note 9 looked better than whatever Canon shit he was using to film the intro.

Is it just me or has he gone back to Canon from the Panasonic GH5 and Sony stuff?

I've noticed a huge drop in VLOG image quality since the 6D Mk II came out and he reviewed it.

Yup, that seems to be the case. This ridiculousness started when Matti and Peter McKinnon started telling people the 1DXmkII and 6DmkII should be your top pick. Casey and Jon Olsson for example then started using Canons again. It's like a pyramid scheme where Canon incentivizes people to recommend their shit or something. And it seems to be working, people are following blindly.

36 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Yup, that seems to be the case. This ridiculousness started when Matti and Peter McKinnon started telling people the 1DXmkII and 6DmkII should be your top pick. Casey and Jon Olsson for example then started using Canons again. It's like a pyramid scheme where Canon incentivizes people to recommend their shit or something. And it seems to be working, people are following blindly.

Well the 1DXMk2 does offer great video quality. Better than any GH5/s for straight out of the camera. I can tell you no smartphone comes close to it's footage... and that's ok. The best camera is the one you have on you and the Note 9 will be able to go places the Canon will be barred from.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Note 9 looked better than whatever Canon shit he was using to film the intro.

Is it just me or has he gone back to Canon from the Panasonic GH5 and Sony stuff?

I've noticed a huge drop in VLOG image quality since the 6D Mk II came out and he reviewed it.

Well comparing all three, from the shots he did in his studio, I see a poor dr on both smartphones when compared to the standalone camera. Also the image quality of the iPhone X looks pretty bad overall compared to the other two. If we are honest, the standalone camera looks much better. Sorry, but anyone that pauses the video as he switches between them will see the same thing:

Standalone camera - 1st place
Note 9 - 2nd place
iPhone X - distant 3rd

It's not even close... there is no debating it.... unless you are watching at 144p?

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

The best camera is the one you have on you and the Note 9 will be able to go places the Canon will be barred from.

By the same token, because the 1DX mkII screams professional, it might very well allow you access to spots denied to the selfie crowd.

Yeah I seen that video. And I got rid of my Note 8 and bought a iPhone X!! Guess I should have upgraded to the Note 9! Crazy better difference. Yikes.

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah I have no clue why you would go from 4K to crappy looking 1080p! And the Canon cameras are heavy as hell to boot to hold out for long periods of time. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Never underestimate the extended hand of friendship from PR companies and Canon.

There's also some Samsung bias going on, with various iPhone X shots purposefully wobbly and the iPhone X is cracked for a start, which implies weakness subconsciously in the poster frame.

I think he went from gh5 to 6d mark ii because the af on the gh5 sucked. Then he went to the 1dx mark ii which he uses for the majority of the video because the 6d mark ii is clearly a piece of shit (although the 6d mark ii is used here and there cause it is smaller and has the flippy screen, which is handy when you are travelling on a skateboard, and i guess it was used for the intro). But ye, the 1dx is leagues above anything else in that video. Problem is, its like carrying a brick around.   

• Administrators

How does he do VLOG material on a 1D X II with that MJPEG 4K codec? It would create an impossible workflow for the fast turn around his stuff needs, and massive amounts of material for archival. Or has he dropped his channel back to 1080p?

He either doesn't care about 4K, or thinks AF is king... Either way, should have given the A7 III an audition, surely?

Meanwhile in smartphone land, check this out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45208546

Motorola is now owned by Chinese company Lenovo, who are one of the least innovative fuckers on planet earth. If China doesn't start respecting the US copyright law, they are going to be in deep shit. And not just because of tub-thumping or bullying by small-hands Trump - but because losing access to Android and Qualcomm parts will be on the cards.

10 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Being a professional youtuber is about business, not IQ.  

Shooting in 4K costs more to backup, costs more time to edit, costs you out-of-focus shots (the cost in time to re-shoot, the creative cost of the frustration, and sometimes the cost of missing a shot you can't replicate), but most people don't have a 4K display device and those that do probably sit too far away from it to see it, so apart from getting the 'hype' bump of having a 4K logo it is all negatives.

All those costs directly translate to entire videos you could have made instead - if 4K is a 10% cost then potentially you could have made 10% more videos, the percentage is probably more than that.  For people like Casey / Peter / Matti that's quite a lot of views, as well as potentially viral videos.

IQ is important to films where the aesthetic is important, the vlog type of YT videos are basically disposable and are only valuable for their time-sensitive content.  As they say, being second is first-last place, so workflow speed is everything, especially in the tech space.  

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

He either doesn't care about 4K, or thinks AF is king... Either way, should have given the A7 III an audition, surely?

I think it's both - he cares about content and storytelling.

In terms of the A7III it would be a good technical choice, but I remember Casey saying that he's basically a luddite who only uses tech when he's forced to.  Even his 'Tech Review Tuesday" videos are almost completely devoid of technical content - they're all about user experience.  

As above, learning something new has an opportunity cost of a number of videos.

37 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

How does he do VLOG material on a 1D X II with that MJPEG 4K codec? It would create an impossible workflow for the fast turn around his stuff needs, and massive amounts of material for archival. Or has he dropped his channel back to 1080p?

Motorola is now owned by Chinese company Lenovo, who are one of the least innovative fuckers on planet earth. If China doesn't start respecting the US copyright law, they are going to be in deep shit. And not just because of tub-thumping or bullying by small-hands Trump - but because losing access to Android and Qualcomm parts will be on the cards.

Apparently that one is a white market phone, and Motorola/ Lenovo has done some stuffing here and there.

Btw it was Google that ran Motorola dry by sucking up all the patents. After that it was like worth a farthing, at best. Lenovo were kind to pay anything for it. 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I keep hearing about the extraordinary expense, massive file sizes and difficulty editing, but Sony’s 4K files are positively tiny and can be edited on virtually any machine at all.

Even if it isn't true, the fact you keep hearing about it means there's a perception out there about it (and it definitely used to be the case) and perception drives behaviours.  

On 8/17/2018 at 8:20 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Google image search often mistakes Motorola’s P30 for the iPhone X. 

source (no affiliate links) ???