Jump to content
Anaconda_

Hands on with the RED Hydrogen

Recommended Posts

On 8/12/2018 at 11:10 PM, BTM_Pix said:

 

33055082_ScreenShot2018-08-12at12_40_56.png.2d1c3fcb755a4ae04bb2fa24aa450da9.png

One of my concerns about this product from day one has been how RED would cope with the sort of criticism (or naked, vengeful wrath) that can come your way from a consumer product versus how they would normally receive feedback from their, shall we say, more forgiving current user base.

The degree of restriction and sensitivity to criticism they are showing to what will, by and large, be stern supporters of the company and the product (its people who actually put their money down a long time ago remember) is a bit concerning considering how close they are to releasing it to the general public.


For years and years now RED has been bad with censorship and an inability to handle criticism. 

This recent thread from yesterday just further demonstrates that RED/reduser still has issues.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?170817-Woah

RED (and reduser :-/ ) continues to sink lower in my eyes in terms of how they run themselves, and unfortunately Teradek joins them too now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I saw the video too. Nothing appears earth shattering about it, for the moment. The hype was so high, that if it doesn't outperform a SonyRX100, it will be disappointing. Which it won't and can't, because it probably uses a sensor on the lines of the Note9 or the iPhone Max. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, sanveer said:

I saw the video too. Nothing appears earth shattering about it, for the moment. The hype was so high, that if it doesn't outperform a SonyRX100, it will be disappointing. Which it won't and can't, because it probably uses a sensor on the lines of the Note9 or the iPhone Max. 

I agree, I don't think it will outperform a Sony RX100 either...

BUT... I also wonder if it can with this add-on...

 

Red Hydrogen Add-on.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mkabi said:

I agree, I don't think it will outperform a Sony RX100 either...

BUT... I also wonder if it can with this add-on...

 

Red Hydrogen Add-on.jpg

I hope they have these mods on. Most smartphone makers got their add on mods pretty wrong. Hopefully RED has this figured out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I hope they have these mods on. Most smartphone makers got their add on mods pretty wrong. Hopefully RED has this figured out. 

Those pictures are of two completely different devices... not a device with a mod attached. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that this phone is nothing more than hype. If Samsung and Apple cannot create a camera phone that is better than a dedicated camera of the same vintage, then Red will not be the one to crack that particular nut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DBounce said:

 I'll go out on a limb and suggest that this phone is nothing more than hype. If Samsung and Apple cannot create a camera phone that is better than a dedicated camera of the same vintage, then Red will not be the one to crack that particular nut.

I somewhat agree with you. But both Apple and Samsung are sort of constrained by total cost of the product, which by the way I think they have hit now. Over a 1000 bucks is a bridge too far for the vast majority of people, even me.

But Red customers are probably willing to pay as much for a add on Gizmo as the whole phone costs to get better results. So they will have that edge on the competition. I am sure it will be somewhat of a shitty phone with damn good photo, video capabilities in the long run. Like everything, it has trade offs. It sure looks easier to hold than most phones, I will give them that. Looks like no case needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Those pictures are of two completely different devices... not a device with a mod attached. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that this phone is nothing more than hype. If Samsung and Apple cannot create a camera phone that is better than a dedicated camera of the same vintage, then Red will not be the one to crack that particular nut.

Don't underestimate Jim Jannard, man... : -D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2018 at 3:44 PM, DBounce said:

Those pictures are of two completely different devices... not a device with a mod attached. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that this phone is nothing more than hype. If Samsung and Apple cannot create a camera phone that is better than a dedicated camera of the same vintage, then Red will not be the one to crack that particular nut.

I'll give you that... they are 2 different devices...

But, the one and the only reason why this device is interesting is because its coming from a company that specializes in cinema cameras...

 Samsung isn't going to above and beyond, and they have a slew of other products...

Now, you can say... then Apple should be able to... they were a computing company before they got into cell phones... smart phones was an obvious choice.

Now, I know you have your doubts.... so do I... but this patent picture is the ultimate mod in my eyes... for this alone.... makes the hydrogen interesting to me:

 

Red Hydrogen Add-on 2.jpg

BTW, I didn't pre-order and I'm not one of their beta-testers.... if the above patent becomes a reality... then I will definitely pick up a hydrogen when it becomes available to the masses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mkabi said:

I'll give you that... they are 2 different devices...

But, the one and the only reason why this device is interesting is because its coming from a company that specializes in cinema cameras...

 Samsung isn't going to above and beyond, and they have a slew of other products...

Now, you can say... then Apple should be able to... they were a computing company before they got into cell phones... smart phones was an obvious choice.

Now, I know you have your doubts.... so do I... but this patent picture is the ultimate mod in my eyes... for this alone.... makes the hydrogen interesting to me:

 

Red Hydrogen Add-on 2.jpg

BTW, I didn't pre-order and I'm not one of their beta-testers.... if the above patent becomes a reality... then I will definitely pick up a hydrogen when it becomes available to the masses

Oh boy that looks expensive! But damn tempting. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you expect it to look like an Arri Alexa for 1400 bucks if it is real footage? I thought it looked pretty good. In this day and age about anything can look pretty good with skill. I have not seen any camera other than your C200 frame grab, a few PK4 Raw footage, and some original BMPCC, even some ML Canon stuff which was probably shot in Raw, that is worth taking about that is great.

So I guess the take away is if it is not shot in Raw it is not too shit hot. A iPhone, a Panny G7, a GH5, a X-T3, Z7 etc. can all pretty much look alike, and actually does to be honest. And to add  fuel to the fire you have to be pretty damn good to even edit, grade Raw. Most people on average suck at it, me included.

So the average persons footage is going to look well... Average. Imagine my surprise. Take away, shoot with what you have, and be happy. Because unless you are skilled as hell it ALL looks alike no matter what it is shot on. So just save your money, shoot with what you got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...