Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

6 minutes ago, cantsin said:

If you look at the design of the housing, it's pretty clear that the bulge in the middle isn't just a mount, but contains the whole sensor. So my bet is still on Ricoh GXR-style swappable sensor+mount modules where the 4k option will be the 12 stops/400 ISO 1" sensor from the Micro Studio & URSA Broadcast, and the 14 stops option will be the 1080p sensor from the old pocket/Micro Cinema.

Disagree. They wouldn't use the Pocket brand on swappable mount cam.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just now, jonpais said:

I guess we'll find out very shortly. 

Yeah exactly. Still it's hard not get excited and think about all the different stuff we'll learn:

• frame rates
  • dynamic range
  • ProRes RAW support
  • recording media
  • sensor size
  • lens mount
  • battery type

15 minutes ago, cantsin said:

If you look at the design of the housing, it's pretty clear that the bulge in the middle isn't just a mount, but contains the whole sensor. So my bet is still on Ricoh GXR-style swappable sensor+mount modules where the 4k option will be the 12 stops/400 ISO 1" sensor from the Micro Studio & URSA Broadcast, and the 14 stops option will be the 1080p sensor from the old pocket/Micro Cinema

It's just speculation on your part. It's not that it's a bad thing having swappable mounts, but I just don't see that happening on the pocket.

That would be extremely complex to pull off. That original sensor is so far behind in low light ability in this day and age, why the hell even bother today. That has always been BM's knock on their cameras. Why continue the trend. I sure hope they progress, not stay the same. I am not paying big money for a camera with a top  usable ISO of 800 now.

11 minutes ago, froess said:

It's just speculation on your part. It's not that it's a bad thing having swappable mounts, but I just don't see that happening on the pocket.

Look at the picture - the middle bulge is so far recessed into the camera housing that the sensor needs to sit inside there. There's simply no other space for it. The only speculative question is whether that middle bulge is a swappable unit or not.

And, again, a swappable design like the Ricoh GXR (which is about as compact as the BM Pocket) makes sense if BM doesn't have a sensor yet that can deliver both 4K and high dynamic range.

The swapping could only be about the sensor, not the mount - all those sensor modules may have MFT mounts.

kit2.jpg

6 minutes ago, froess said:

Yes, I agree. That was what I meant by speculation on your part.

Yes, but based on the fact that the middle bulge is not a solid part of a one-piece camera housing, but looks like it sits in a bay. 

The two big switches right and left from it could be for locking and unlocking the sensor modules.

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Put the picture in Photoshop and raise the shadows.

You can see something written on the bulge.

You can see it even without Photoshop (on a calibrated monitor) - it says "Blackmagic Design", putting the manufacturer logo above the lens as with so many other cameras.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Then maybe it is just, which would be a big deal, moveable EVF.

No, because then all operation buttons would be on the wrong side, and you don't put an accessory screw mount on a lightweight, moveable part.

9 minutes ago, cantsin said:

You can see it even without Photoshop (on a calibrated monitor) - it says "Blackmagic Design", putting the manufacturer logo above the lens as with so many other cameras.

No, because then all operation buttons would be on the wrong side, and you don't put an accessory screw mount on a lightweight, moveable part.

They are not going to have changeable modules on it get real. The GR was a flop sales wise. Goofy, complex idea. Maybe it is a folding lens? Who the hell knows.

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

They are not going to have changeable modules on it get real. The GR was a flop sales wise. Goofy, complex idea.

I just think that this is very real and possibly marketing-driven:

• BM can no longer sell a 1080p camera, despite all its goodness and a better image than practically any other prosumer camera in the market, because buyers are obsessed with 4K. A renewed Pocket camera with only 1080p wouldn't have been marketable.
  • The only pocketable 4K sensor that BM had so far is the 1", 4K, 4OO ISO, 12-stops sensor of the Micro Studio/URSA Broadcast. If it had a newer sensor, it could have been built into the URSA Broadcast that was just released two months ago.
  • Very possibly, the situation hasn't changed from what BM stated in 2017, and no 14-stops 4K sensor that fits a small housing is available for them (yet).
  • So a clunky solution with swappable sensor units, 1080p/14stops and 4K/12 stops, allows to sell this camera both as a Pocket Cinema camera, but with the 4K label.

As said earlier, I hope that Monday will prove me wrong.