Sony a7 III discussion

GreekBeast

7 minutes ago, Django said:

I'm just an actual user here reporting a potentially serious issue that seems to be affecting a large amount of units. this isn't a $200 phone, it's a $2000 camera. and the 'date trick' seems indeed a fudge not a fix. why you feel the need to downplay the situation or call me a drama queen is beyond me but clearly there seems to be an aggressive pattern from you insulting anyone that disagrees with your opinion on a product or camera brand.

Firstly, I never made disparaging remarks about your work, like you just did mine. Secondly, Fuji's got numerous issues and you never said 'epic fail!'. Sounds like bias to me. So yeah,  perhaps I've got a pattern of reacting to people who insult me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Fuji's got numerous issues and you never said 'epic fail!'. Sounds like bias to me.

Fuji has numerous issues to you. It has never had any serious issue such as dead pixels or anything for me.

You can call that a bias if you want, so what? I currently don't even own a Fuji, yet have a Sony A7iii. 

..and just to prove you are wrong about me:

On 3/8/2018 at 11:36 AM, Django said:

They're not getting away with it. Several videos and discussions about it. Fuji definitely F'ed up. H1 is sold as having superior AF. A firmware fix is bound to come quickly (or sales are going to hurt). I know I'm not be buying one until this is fixed.

and i've stood by my word. i'm no fanboy or brand loyalist and will buy whatever ticks my boxes and will call out any product/brand that seriously drops the ball.

39 minutes ago, Django said:

Fuji has numerous issues to you. It has never had any serious issue such as dead pixels or anything for me.

You can call that a bias if you want, so what? I currently don't even own a Fuji, yet have a Sony A7iii. 

Django, Do you mean the remapping sensor doesn't work?

1 minute ago, Django said:

@eoslover haven't tried it yet.. but even if it works, might it not fail again at any given time.. ? i'd like an official fix (if there is one) or recall addressing the issue.

it seems like it is not limited to A7III only

A6300, A7SII had similar issues too and users fix it by remapping

8 minutes ago, eoslover said:

it seems like it is not limited to A7III only

A6300, A7SII had similar issues too and users fix it by remapping

I've had single pixels that needed to be remapped on the a6300, a7r2 and a7s2, but I've never experienced anything like what the a73 is showing - nor have I seen any reports from previous cameras that come close to that mess. Brutal. Hopefully it gets addressed soon.

Chris

1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

I've had single pixels that needed to be remapped on the a6300, a7r2 and a7s2, but I've never experienced anything like what the a73 is showing - nor have I seen any reports from previous cameras that come close to that mess. Brutal. Hopefully it gets addressed soon.

Chris

I have not had a6300, A7s2. Did Sony actually came up with a solution or remapping once's the fix?

Remember I said I got a copy without the blinking pixel row when I swapped the first one? Well guess what, the replacement has them as well. Sometimes they pop up, sometimes they don’t. It’s fucking abysmal. And another thing I noticed is the motion cadence is a lot worse than on the A7rIII - a lot worse. It almost seems like the processor can’t handle the downsampling of the 6k image and it just gets horrible. As soon as you do a pan this weird almost shimmering effect turns up. Add to that the stuttering from the lacking computational power of the thing and the image gets shitty, no matter how good the low light performance is.

If Sony don’t issue a firmware update within a week regarding the pixels I’m returning it for sure. Guess it was too good to be true. I really wanted to like this camera. 

The A7rIII on the other hand, is a true beast.

1 hour ago, eoslover said:

I have not had a6300, A7s2. Did Sony actually came up with a solution or remapping once's the fix?

I believe the only solution is what's in the previously posted video - change the date to force the pixel remapping in order to do it manually. To be fair, its only happened once on each body I've owned. As to the a7III, I can't speak to anything other than the way it looks on videos I've seen since the camera isn't available in the US yet.

chris

5 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

Remember I said I got a copy without the blinking pixel row when I swapped the first one? Well guess what, the replacement has them as well. Sometimes they pop up, sometimes they don’t. It’s fucking abysmal. And another thing I noticed is the motion cadence is a lot worse than on the A7rIII - a lot worse. It almost seems like the processor can’t handle the downsampling of the 6k image and it just gets horrible. As soon as you do a pan this weird almost shimmering effect turns up. Add to that the stuttering from the lacking computational power of the thing and the image gets shitty, no matter how good the low light performance is.

If Sony don’t issue a firmware update within a week regarding the pixels I’m returning it for sure. Guess it was too good to be true. I really wanted to like this camera. 

The A7rIII on the other hand, is a true beast.

Very bad news about the motion cadence and the stuttering ...

57 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

A7S2 is still better at lowlight, A7III get muddy and lose of detail at real low light setting.

4K A7III is more detailed than A7SII, but on 1080P A7SII is much better.

I was close to cancel my preorder because of the pixels issue and the massive noise reduction, but if in addition there is really a bad motion cadence and stuttering ...

This high noise reduction is applied even in S-Log 3 ?

59 minutes ago, Beritar said:

I was close to cancel my preorder because of the pixels issue and the massive noise reduction, but if in addition there is really a bad motion cadence and stuttering ...

This high noise reduction is applied even in S-Log 3 ?

If I could go back I’d cancel it. Just wait for the sIII. The noise reduction you can live with but the stuttering and the frankly horrible motion cadence is ruining it for me. Decent for stills though haha

5 hours ago, Simon Young said:

I am interested in this perhaps you could post a video and show us what you mean.

One thing I have noticed with the 'A7riii' is that video is quite a bit smoother when you use a lens with OIS than one without.

It is evident here courtesy of 2 videos from 'Cameralabs'

First video is with the 85 1.4 GM (no OIS)

Second, is with the 24-105 f4 (with OIS)

Yes, I know what you are thinking. One is a wide angle, one is telephoto. But I have tried video with both the 85 1.4 (no OIS) and Batis 85 1.8 (with OIS) and the Batis is noticeably better.

I also dont think this a 'problem' of the ibis but more a 'feature'. I think the 'ibis' with the non ois lens is trying to keep the image 'steady' or 'fixed' which would be perfect for stills but makes it jerky for video. At some point manufacturers will need different ibis for stills and video (doesnt the Fuji X-H1 already have this?)

7 hours ago, eoslover said:

The way Sony cameras are designed they automatically fix/fudge this issue over time. Once a month the camera does pixel remapping which interpolates dead pixels (ever notice a 'thud' from an A7 camera a second or so after you switch it off?) That is why the date fix works - moving forward the date by at least a month tells the camera it  is time for pixel remapping.

BTW, every CMOS sensor has dead or hot pixels - so anyone claiming that my x camera never had a dead pixel is simply stating that they havent seen one rather than they exist and have been remapped. I thought that Sony QC limited dead pixels to 1:10,000 or .01%. Doesnt sound too bad but it does equate to 2,400 pixels on a 24mp camera. So I find it difficult to get excited about 40 dead pixels.

3 hours ago, Simon Young said:

If I could go back I’d cancel it. Just wait for the sIII. The noise reduction you can live with but the stuttering and the frankly horrible motion cadence is ruining it for me. Decent for stills though haha

I don’t know about the ar3, but I’ve just compared the A7iii to my A6300, shooting multiple pans, with one camera above the other, and the motion cadense are quite similar. I don’t mean it’s good, but it’s not worst.

So far i’m really pleased with the A7iii, but I have to admit that except for the loving FF bokeh you can easily get, this camera seems to me like an A6500 with less flaws (no overheating, better battery, nice1080p, better ui).

I kinda prefer my gh5 on many points, except AF, no punch-in during record, and the small sensor. It’s a more well thought camera. And I’m sure, reliable.

@Robert Collins

just check out Gordon Laings pan in the bar over the bottles, that’s what it looks like, regardless of his shaky ass hands. I have a very steady hand and still can’t get a nice pan. Never mind the ibis, pay attention to the labels of the bottles, they get all jagged and nasty.

I also advice you to look at the Cinema5d “review” of the camera from Japan. Look at how odd the movement of the people I seem, it’s jittery. And it has nothing do with the shutter angle, I’ve tried.