Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, jonpais said:

That shoulder LCD I think is about as useful as the touch bar on a Macbook

Have you shot with a camera that has this? I sometimes shoot with my GF's D90 and I appreciate the extra info I get at a glance over my D5200 instead.

Being able to record with an external mic and the internal at the same time is a clever idea, but where are the videos showing the UI? Does Fuji still incorporate the all but useless tiny level meters found on the X-T2, or is it possible to see the audio level meter on its own dedicated page on the LCD?

Ohhh... internal + external mic is a handy feature!

I've used this before on cameras such as the Sony FS7, which can do four track recording. I'll assign the internal mic to a track, as a handy failsafe back up insurance just in case something goes horrible wrong with the wireless feed. 

Would see it being useful for a FujiFilm X-H1 too for a number of uses to send in a wireless mic while having the internal mics as well as a scratch track (a back up resort for syncing. Or for very small shoots where you're interviewing one person straight to camera, but the editor might still want to be able to hear more clearly the interviewer's questions from them sitting next to the camera itself rather than being far away from where the lav is, you could just have a stereo splitter but this is simpler for many people). 

That shoulder LCD I think is about as useful as the touch bar on a Macbook Pro. One reviewer says he can't count the number of times he's forgotten to put an SD card in his camera and the LCD reminded him. WTF? The implementation by Panasonic is incomparably smarter; just by touching the LCD screen, you can access a dozen parameters and change them on the fly. And for a company not known for their aesthetics, the video info display on the GH5 is a work of art. And speaking of SD cards, would it have killed Fuji to allow recording to both cards simultaneously? Can user settings all be stored on a card? AFAIK, the touch screen on the X-H1 doesn't have tap to focus either. Is there a reason why a headphone jack couldn't have been included in the body? And if not zebras, why blinking highlights? They have no known value and are not programmable, so virtually useless for judging proper exposure, whether a stills shooter or a filmmaker. No teleconverter mode, which can be invaluable when you need that extra reach: both Sony and Panasonic have systems that essentially turn each lens into two. No hybrid log gamma for those interested in quickly uploading HDR videos to the Web. A flippy screen isn't absolutely essential if you've got a functioning remote app, but Fuji has neither. Being able to record with an external mic and the internal at the same time is a clever idea, but where are the videos showing the UI? Does Fuji still incorporate the all but useless tiny level meters found on the X-T2, or is it possible to see the audio level meter on its own dedicated page on the LCD? And apparently the audio coming out of the expensive VPB is distorted, rendering monitoring impossible until a firmware update is issued. The power booster is an essential piece of kit, but it makes flying on a gimbal or putting the camera in a cage all but impossible and makes carrying the camera cumbersome. It is also just another source of possible malfunctions. No 60p for times when you want beautiful 4K slow motion shots. A micro HDMI port, reviled by all filmmakers. Not only are proper exposure tools missing, but the information that is included in the display is inscrutably tiny. I really have to squint to even just read the exposure meter on the X-T2. The shutter speed and aperture dials are right at your fingertips on the Panasonic - no need to remove your eye from the EVF - with the Fuji, it's a two handed operation that may or may not require taking attention away from your shooting. And again, no shutter angle, which comes in so handy when you're shooting at different frame rates and avoids inadvertently shooting at the wrong shutter speed. 

I don't see anything more beautiful than the colors produced by this camera (I don't give a shit if they are 8-bit even though 4:2.2 is available through HDMI) but I told you already:

They should really hire you!

Cheers, as both Panasonic (GH5, G7, etc) and Fuji (X-H1 for pre-order) customer,

E :-)

The Panasonic video info display on the LCD is incomparably better thought out and more useful - I don't need to take my eye away from the LCD to use it. I can touch anywhere on the screen and adjust settings instantly, from white balance to aperture, shutter angle, recording quality, adjust microphone levels, change the ISO, photo style. It is much more functional and allows me to see much more important information about the camera's settings at a glance. And Panasonic isn't addicted to tiny font.

IMG_1055.jpg

You are right though : ) A shame no other competitor is able to produce something as much closer to film than these guys from FUJIFILM. I guess the fact they have no high-end other than medium format speaks ages on it other than probably Panasonic. Any other manufacturer it is useless to let different hopes for.

Saw this today. Even though I like where they shot this, my office is close to many of the areas filmed, (DP Review is based in Seattle) I can't say I'm a huge fan of the image. Looks very "video-ish" to me and that's not my cup of tea. Colors are on point. The area looks exactly look this...when its not raining that is. 

That being said, I applaud Fuji for the upgrade. 

@Matthew Hartman Take a look on the Portuguese clip and you'll find a video camera in disguise of a stills film camera as well... ; )

Strictly as video camera, the X-H1 outcome reminds me the JVC HD100 series film look (known by that in just 3 minutes, that is, straight out the box) much more than a decade ago...

Or the Silicon Imaging camera from Ari Presler and Jason Rodriguez with the help of the codec master and R3D competitor, David Newman by Cineform (later, part of GoPro), the same camera also used in the Academy Winner Slumdog Millionaire ten years ago...

@jonpais you're right, the gh5 is ergonomically better in almost every aspect. But that is not to say that the XH1 is a wasted effort. It's still better than Sony who have had years to develop their interface. Fuji went a step beyond my expectations by allowing you to change exposure and other settings by touch. Though they would definitely benefit from a bigger, brighter screen with bigger text. 

On the subject of HLG though. The XH1 doesn't have it but it does have 400% DR in video, which if you've ever used it in stills you'll know pretty much pulls all 12-13 stops of dynamic range out of the sensor. 

Also, having used the Panasonic G80 for a while now, I can attest to why the tilt screen may be more favourable than the fully articulating one. Of course flip out screens are better for vloggers. But not ever camera has to appeal to every audience. 

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but there is a very annoying bug with the X-T2, and it is still present in the X-H1. If you use the grip and one of the batteries dies, recording will stop. This means you have to guess how many minutes you have left in the battery that is currently used, and plan accordingly. If you think the remaining time is not enough, you have to pull that battery from the grip. This is a pain in the ass really.

7 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but there is a very annoying bug with the X-T2, and it is still present in the X-H1. If you use the grip and one of the batteries dies, recording will stop. This means you have to guess how many minutes you have left in the battery that is currently used, and plan accordingly. If you think the remaining time is not enough, you have to pull that battery from the grip. This is a pain in the ass really.

That’s what the new tally light is for. ? So you can watch your camera interrupt recording.

This quote from Ratatouille somehow comes to mind after listening to all the accolades poured out by the Fuji spokespeople:

Mustafa: [taking Ego's order] Do you know what you'd like this evening, sir? 

Anton Ego: Yes, I think I do. After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that? 

Mustafa: With what, sir? 

Anton Ego: Perspective. Fresh out, I take it? 

Mustafa: I am, uh... 

Anton Ego: Very well. Since you're all out of perspective and no one else seems to have it in this BLOODY TOWN, I'll make you a deal. You provide the food, I'll provide the perspective, which would go nicely with a bottle of Cheval Blanc 1947. 

Mustafa: I'm afraid... your dinner selection? 

Anton Ego: [stands up angrily] Tell your chef Linguini that I want whatever he dares to serve me. Tell him to hit me with his best SHOT.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Right again, Mattias. I was wrong. No need for an articulating screen or functioning remote app. An external monitor is better. No more fiddling with phones. I'm so glad they didn't incorporate either in the X-H1. What was I thinking?

Yes, Im very very happy they didn't incorporate a fully articulating screen since I then would never even consider the camera. 
Remote app I guess could be fun, but I would hate using it so I don't care if its in there or not.

PS. just because you got canned from being a moderator doesn't mean you all of a sudden have to agree with everyone. Its ok to have different needs and opinions.

33 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

I think that people who want the image Fuji X series cameras give will overlook or work around the ergonomic shortcomings of this new camera, while those who don't will continu to happily shoot with their preferred camera. 'S all good, man.

And most of all, external controls that Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and Canon simply don't offer. Our only choices really is Leica (not so good video imo), Nikon DF (doesn't have video) and Fuji.

But haters are always gonna hate and try to bend and twist arguments, force their opinions and pretend their needs are the worlds. All because they care about what others think about their gear. The thought about someone else not liking their camera scares them so much that they aren't satisfied by defending it on forums. They must also go on the offence agains others who doesn't blindly share their opinions and feelings.
I will never get it..

..And I don't even own a single Fuji camera or lens. 

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yes, Im very very happy they didn't incorporate a fully articulating screen since I then would never even consider the camera. 
Remote app I guess could be fun, but I would hate using it so I don't care if its in there or not.

PS. just because you got canned from being a moderator doesn't mean you all of a sudden have to agree with everyone. Its ok to have different needs and opinions.

Thank you for your thoughtful advice.

18 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@jonpaiswhere did you hear that you can change the focus rings to linear?

This is from the dpreview first impressions artice: "A linear response option for focus-by-wire lenses is something we've long been calling for, but Fujifilm is the first manufacturer to listen"

I also saw in in some youtube video, can't remember which one, but the feature is really there.

@Mattias Burling Not a lot of haters here, of everything, that is why we like to communicate and participate in most topics, with the best of our intentions (mostly). I believe there is a nice and creative community going on here.

I always liked everything you did and said (I was pushing that "+1" button we used to have, or whatever it was all the time!) and I am surprised that as of late you have acquired a passive-aggressive stance that you mostly accuse others of, while defending curious decisions and older equipment, on a mainly tech forum. You have the right to your opinion of course, and no one ever tried to silence you (of course), but we have the rights to our opinions too.

The truth is that this camera is not going forward the whole industry, like A7s, NX1 and GH5 did in their time. Is a better, sturdier version with better implemented "luts" in built, of an a6500. I would never buy an a6500, if I could buy this for 500euros more (yes, gladly to pay the premium), but there are other options in the market, equal, or clearly better, so better waste my money on better sound/editing equipment/or my family than go Fuji for this camera and a couple of lenses that they DO NOT have and I do.

If this is the best Fuji can do, then it won't be enough to compete in 2018 with the rest. m43 already offer a a couple better options (and we are waiting for a new Olympus soon with better video specs), the few NX "fanatics" won't change - no way - for a stop better ISO performance really, new Canonikon mirrorless are at the gate and there is a very mature A7rIII, and an A7sIII to end all the video orientated hybrids (that's what Sony would like to do). We are not haters, the statement that Fuji does is not that powerful enough.

I would like to see those 2 cheap hybrid - Cine lenses have great autofocus, then it could be an option against Canon/Sony offerings, but it doesn't even does that. 

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Also, having used the Panasonic G80 for a while now, I can attest to why the tilt screen may be more favourable than the fully articulating one. Of course flip out screens are better for vloggers. But not ever camera has to appeal to every audience. 

For street shooters (a big target market / branding for Fujifilm) then tilting is better. But for many filmmakers the flip out screen is better I reckon. (personal opinion here though)

• Super Members
51 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@Mattias Burling Not a lot of haters here, of everything, that is why we like to communicate and participate in most topics, with the best of our intentions (mostly). I believe there is a nice and creative community going on here.

Never said there wasn't.

51 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@Mattias Burling I am surprised that as of late you have acquired a passive-aggressive stance that you mostly accuse others of, while defending curious decisions and older equipment, on a mainly tech forum.

Thats because you more than once have tried to pass your own feelings as facts. People are different.

53 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@Mattias Burling or clearly better,

There you go, a subjective feeling that you make sound like a fact.

54 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

If this is the best Fuji can do, then it won't be enough to compete in 2018 with the rest.

You forgot to say that this is just your opinion about something you have never tried. My opinion is different. We are both right, there is no wrong.