Sony A7R III review - the BBC fixed Sony's colour!

Andrew Reid

31 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Thanks for trying to analyze my personal behavior on the forum lol... I am not sure I could make sense of your post though. 
In a more basic way, it sounds to me that you were the one who came and argue with all of that. I was juste positively commenting that the A7SIII and RIII should be a great combo to which you answered "in 8 bit" which triggered the rest. Anyway, peace :) 

Trying...? *cough cough* Sure. Let's wait for a new Panasonic arrival and we'll see where you'll be posting about.

In any case, I never stop to appreciate your entries which I half concur for awhile now. I don't think I am the only one. Don't you know? Is a first time being? Where have you been after all?

You're always missed man! Whether you go totally on defensive or not (Love, E :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

from @Andrew Reid from the main article:

I will be testing these extensively and finding out which to choose for my next version of Pro LOG, taking the guess-work out for you. I’ll do the same for the upcoming 7S III which will be the first Sony Alpha to shoot 10bit.

A7S3 is confirmed to be 10bit?

now that would make choice even tougher than it already is.

Sony was the first to do affordable 1080p @ 120fps... then also 1080p up to 900fps in their RX cams (not true 1080p, but close enough). 

If they can match gh5 with 6K anaphmorphic, 4K @ 10 bit 4:2:2 and up the ante with DCI 4K at 120fps with the same Color and auto-focus as the a7Riii in their a7Siii - I will say “Game Over. It’s Done. No going back.”

36 minutes ago, jonpais said:

what are you smoking? I want some too. ?

I would say Sony Has to do it now between the GH5 and the GH5s. They Can't come out with 8bit anymore ,and they need to up the FPS just like he said. Sony's tit is in a ringer if this new A7s mk III doesn't have all that, not sure about the Anamorphic, but they had better pick up the pace because Panny has pushed them hard this week.

You know and I know the A7s will be bumping on 4 grand. It Has to be good, I say Way better than the A7r mk III. Now that the GH5s proves is doesn't Have to be FF to be good in low light the pressure is on. The FF myth has lost a Lot of it's edge this week. You don't Have to buy a Sony now. And m4/3 having I argue better DoF, by that I mean more, and damn near as good low light, why do you Need a FF Sony now, and pay more money. I argue even Panny Color Science now is as good or even better than Sony.

This new GH5s is a Game Changer that is for sure. Canon and Nikon trying to bring out a FF mirrorless probably pooped their pants when the heard abut it on the video side. They will sell them to Photographers but for video, hmm good luck.

13 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

@webrunner5 Don, are we sure they know Panasonic has 10-bit for 2 grands...?!

&

@wolf33d

Not too sure what the question is? ehh you can buy a Gh5 for 2 grand. Other than 4k 60p it is 10bit. Not sure I mentioned anything about a 2 grand Panny price. Just  close to 4 grand probably for a A7s mk III.

I am just in doubt if they are aware there is anything (10-bit 4:2:2) out there for 2 grand... LOL Sorry and I hope to be fully wrong on it but I guess they will launch a third 8-bit version of the same camera.

Good chance for 10-bit 4:2:2 via HDMI though :-D

I'll buy one if I end to fail on my pessimism anyway. I'd rather put my odds on Blackmagic that they will announce new 4K portable acquisition for NAB, my utmost bet. Add your dollars there :-)

The video quality is awesome, stabilization’s been improved, overheating’s no longer an issue, battery life is excellent, autofocus is faster and more accurate - the only flaw as I see it is apparently you can’t just touch the LCD to track a subject in AF-C like you can with Canon’s DPAF. Is that so?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

The GH5s uses a Sony sensor capable of Dual ISO... so I’m pretty sure Sony could have Dual ISO on an upcoming camera, so I doubt Sony is too worried about Panasonic. Hell, Panasonic isn’t even in the top 3 of mirrorless sales in their own country.

Yeah but the A7s model is really Only bought by people mostly for Video. I can't see how a few might not be swayed toward the GH5s. The A7r mkIII is 3300 bucks. What if it isn't 10 bit.

That HDMI shit to me sucks on a mirrorless camera. Hell you want a small package and not Have to add a Atomos to it. That is why you bought a small camera, to stay small. Not counting how much that cost. Sure on a Arri Alexa who cares if a 7" monitor is hanging off of it.

I somewhat doubt Sony can get 10 bit out of the same body size without it overheating every 5 minutes. I think Sony keep screwing themselves making the body so dam small. If you are over 200 pounds you can barely put your hand between the grip and a faster, or longer lens. It is like my RX10 I bought, hell I can't even use it. The knurling on the lens kills my index finger. You can make stuff too damn small.

But I am pretty sure the A7s mk III will probably be using a sensor type like that is in the GH5s. But I have no clue how gaining even more ISO is going to make them that much better than they are now for the average ISO you normally use. I guess 25.000 could look like 1600 ISO. Sure that would be nice. But I guess we will see. I am sure it will not be junk. They Have to pick up the pace with this new GH5s.

And most mirrorless cameras are bought by 12 years old girls in Japan. I doubt they are worried about 10 bit. They are worried if you can get it in Pink or Yellow.

What are you doing up this late Glenn! :grimace:

C’mon, Don, a recorder/monitor on a mirrorless camera is still a pretty compact package. ? The beauty of these cameras is, you can rig them out with a cage, rails, follow focus and matte box when needed, or use them as is. Most filmmakers wouldn’t rely solely on a little 3” LCD for pulling focus on an important project. I do agree with you however, that it’s awesome to be able to record 10-bit in camera. 

Other than for drone work I would rather have a Sony FS7 over the FS5. Overall a better machine. But they have made some good updates to the FS5 as of late. I am sure a mk II is in the works. The FS7 mk II is a hell of a camera.

With the EVA1 and the C200 out Sony Has to come up pretty big on the mk II FS5. Or Lower the price.

@DaveAltizer Buy it now and sell it when the a7siii comes out. :) Throughout the entire video, I kept watching your camera perched precariously on the edge of the table on top of that wobbly gorillapod, thinking it was going to fall over any minute! Thanks for answering my question about AF-C and the touch screen thingy. One question - can switching from APS-C to full frame be assigned to a function button?

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

@DaveAltizer Buy it now and sell it when the a7siii comes out. :) Throughout the entire video, I kept watching your camera perched precariously on the edge of the table on top of that wobbly gorillapod, thinking it was going to fall over any minute! Thanks for answering my question about AF-C and the touch screen thingy. One question - can switching from APS-C to full frame be assigned to a function button?

I believe Andrew confirmed this function in the original post. There wasn't a world of difference in video between the A7RII and A7SII, I wonder if that will be the case with the SIII. I'm tempted to grab the 7RIII, useable autofocus would be a huge help for me on solo shoots.