Sign in to follow this  
Dave Maze

ARRI Alexa cheap enough to own now?

On 5/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, zerocool22 said:

Did anybody test this out? 

Im looking into buying an alexa, but def not interested in buying a lot o sxs cards. 

Just seeing this now; my work happened to have both a 16gb SxS and an SD SxS adapter for use in the EX1. So a year back, I did test them out, and found it did not work. I had assumed my Sandisk Extremes would be better than the SxS, but the Arri is very picky; everything is very locked down. For example, I wanted to look into Arriraw and thought maybe a Shogun might do. But with the Classic, only the Odyssey 7Q with raw license would do (because of the proprietary T-Link standard)

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven't tested XQD; they are Sony, so there is a possibility there. There must be some kind of device ID check, the Sandisks should have been a lot faster than the SxS

On 5/12/2019 at 8:53 PM, Sage said:

Just seeing this now; my work happened to have both a 16gb SxS and an SD SxS adapter for use in the EX1. So a year back, I did test them out, and found it did not work. I had assumed my Sandisk Extremes would be better than the SxS, but the Arri is very picky; everything is very locked down. For example, I wanted to look into Arriraw and thought maybe a Shogun might do. But with the Classic, only the Odyssey 7Q with raw license would do (because of the proprietary T-Link standard)

Okay so i’m guessing only one person did a small test with the SxS adapter test. I just purchased a used Alexa plus and was looking into trying the adapter thing 

Let us know if it is works! I use SD cards in an SxS adapter myself for my Sony PWM-F3, but that is recording at a much lower bitrate, curious as to if it works in an ARRI

But shooting on Alexa can be just as economical, and will deliver superior quality – as long as ultra high resolution isn’t your thing. Yes, renting the latest Alexa 65 or SXT is going to run you more than a RED, but the Classic’s are now incredibly affordable at rental houses, and deliver the same incredible images they always have.

It comes down to personal preference, but for me, I’ll take 2K on an Alexa Classic over 8K on a RED any day. I don’t mean this as a knock on RED – they make some badass cameras that have served me well on many shoots… Not to mention they’re doing their part in pushing the technical boundaries of digital cinema, so I have to respect that!

But from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I want the most organic, filmic, image I can possibly get while shooting digitally… And that’s exactly what the Alexa delivers. I couldn’t care less what resolution the camera shoots in, all that matters is what the final image looks like to my eye.

I’ve been watching back our 2K footage on my 5K monitor all week, and it looks amazing – Never for a second did I regret not having more pixels.

https://noamkroll.com/playing-against-filmmaking-trends-on-our-feature-with-arri-alexa-classic-2k-prores-hq-43-aspect-ratio/

Why Shooting 4K Is Becoming Less Important + The Resurgence Of The Arri Alexa Classic

Not to mention, the 4K rush drove down prices of HD/2K cameras so much, that true DIY filmmakers now have access to some of the best cinema cameras ever made on the used market.

I had a narrative filmmaker ask me recently if she should buy mid-range cinema camera like the Canon C300 II or a used Arri Alexa Classic. Her primary consideration was overall image quality, and both cameras were going for almost the exact same price.

I didn’t even have to think about the question before giving my answer – Alexa Classic.

The Arri Alexa line still offers the best image quality and color science on the market, and that includes the original EV model. The fact you can pick them up on the used market for what a high end Canon DSLR with a lens will run you, is absolutely astounding. And the going rate is purely a result of the Alexa Classic’s inability to shoot 4K.

That’s not to say everyone should run out and buy an Alexa Classic. They are still not going to be optimal for lots of productions – namely due to size and weight issues. But the fact that buying a used Alexa is a viable option in the sub $10K market is absolutely amazing.

I’ve heard from friends that work at rental houses, and owner/operators of Alexa Classics that there has been a big uptick in interest for the camera over the last year. I only imagine it’s part of the overall trend of filmmakers breaking the 4K spell that was once cast on them, and focusing more on other aspects of the craft.

This mentality has trickled down to consumer level cameras too. Right now, you can pick up a used Lumix GH2 for as little as $200 – that’s crazy! I remember when stores couldn’t even keep them on the shelves just a few years ago… It may be a couple generations old now, but for an up and coming filmmaker without any money and who doesn’t “need” 4K, it’s an incredible gift.

At the end of the day, 4K is just a resolution format. It’s a great tool to have, and one that I use on many of my own projects – but it’s almost never mandatory.

So for any filmmakers out there weighing their options with regards to camera choice, I hope this has put things in perspective for you. Color quality, low light sensitivity, stabilization, and dozens of other variables matter so much more than 4K… So don’t forget to keep an open mind next time you’re camera shopping, and see what the used market has to offer – you might be surprised what you come up with.

https://noamkroll.com/why-shooting-4k-is-becoming-less-important-the-resurgence-of-the-arri-alexa-classic/