Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DaveAltizer

Sometimes a Tripod gets me excited

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Stunning scenery! Funny how almost every single shot was made using either a gimbal, drone, slider or shoulder mounted camera though. Impressive nonetheless. 

I fully understand that some shots need the aesthetics of a tripod, where the camera doesn't move at all. But I always hated to carry around and set up the thing. Meanwhile, I leave my lightweight ACE at home, frame my shot with gimbal or monopod and additionally apply >stabilization >tripod mode in post. This revolution comes too late for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Axel said:

 Meanwhile, I leave my lightweight ACE at home, frame my shot with gimbal or monopod and additionally apply >stabilization >tripod mode in post. This revolution comes too late for me. 

And you do diz how? Possible in Resolve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jacek said:

Ah, quick release legs? Didn't notice at first.. nice :)

That feature has existed in other tripods for a long time.

 

I think that the Manfrotto 058B appeared at least 15 years ago:

 

I think Manfrotto has several models with this feature, including one with video legs.  They also have a similar small version of this with separate release buttons at the top of each leg.  To release all the legs at the same time, you just wrap your hand around the smaller base, and squeeze all the buttons.

 

I suspect that there are other manufacturers with tripods that have a similar feature.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used the 058B and it is indeed very quick and easy to set up but it's very heavy! The flowtech has a lock on each leg so is arguably not as quick or easy. The large tube CF design will now doubt become more popular as it resists twisting with a pan head better than single tubes. I have a Gitzo 5 series Systematic which is not as good as my Vinten 3776-3 which has double tubes in this respect. The Vinten is also better at resisting vibration in a wind with longer lenses. That's 2 reasons  why video tripods have twin leg designs and it will be interesting to see if this can be equalled or bettered by large single tubes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tupp said:

That feature has existed in other tripods for a long time.

 

I think that the Manfrotto 058B appeared at least 15 years ago:

[..]

I think Manfrotto has several models with this feature, including one with video legs.  They also have a similar small version of this with separate release buttons at the top of each leg.  To release all the legs at the same time, you just wrap your hand around the smaller base, and squeeze all the buttons.

 

I suspect that there are other manufacturers with tripods that have a similar feature.

 

Didn't know that, saweet!

Co-incidentally saw this one:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The feature I really wish they'd put into this is the instant 100% rebate against it for people who've recently bought one of Sachtler's non-revolutionary sets of legs.

<cough>

To be honest, while I can see where they're going with this, its not the jaw dropping life changer they were trailing it as. The single biggest pain in the arse about hauling a tripod around for most people is that they're hauling it round at all. The last few seconds of saving that this offers doesn't really change that. 

As I say, if I'd had the option, I'd have bought these instead for sure but my view is that there IS a revolution out there somewhere for camera support. This isn't it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was considering getting the ACE XL head, but didn't like any of the leg options.

I have used the 2 normal ones extensively, not impressed at all and I haven't tried the telescopic ones, but again, not exactly what I need.

This one seems like an interesting alternative, but not quite sure if it is really that practical, or reliable.  Also it is double the cost from the simpler legs, and 1/3 more from the telescopic ones.

Newer generation seems to find normal ISO cameras and tripods really useless. A7sII and IBIS is what they must have, but I love me tripod shots with my 1600ISO cameras!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The single biggest pain in the arse about hauling a tripod around for most people is that they're hauling it round at all. The last few seconds of saving that this offers doesn't really change that.

Exactly. Looks like a nice tripod but nothing revolutionary. It's still big and clunky like most tripods in this category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...