Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera c-mount lens compatibility list

Julian

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Tokina TV Lens  8mm f/1.3

gallery_20742_38_234076.jpg

Tokina TV Lens  16mm f/1.6

Vignetting is worse stopped down and focused at infinity.

gallery_20742_38_293590.jpg

Kowa TV Zoom 12.5-75mm f/1.8

Can't get it to focus properly. This is shot at the widest setting, if you zoom to 75mm it just about covers it, but quality is poor, lots of distortion.

gallery_20742_38_537294.jpg

$25 eBay 25mm f/1.2

Works, but the lens is difficult to use. No focus or iris marks.

Shot wide open:

gallery_20742_38_304768.jpg

$5 eBay 8mm f/1.2 fixed iris lens for 1/3" sensor

Probably CS mount, only works as super macro and obviously it is made for very small sensors.

gallery_20742_38_288406.jpg

Very illustrative, Julian! And I'm waiting for those pics, Andy, I wanna see how the bokeh looks on the Pentax.

Here here's another lens that isn't on the list but could perhaps be a good addition to the list?

Pentax 12.5mm f1.4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553973-REG/Pentax_C21211KP_C21211KP_1_C_Mount.html

If it performs as well as the Cosmicar then I'm getting one!

Nice! Thanks for this Julian. 

Also to anyone with access to questionable lenses and a Canon Rebel T3i(600D) you can check them in that camera's 3x digital movie crop mode which supposedly crops the actual sensor down to about a Super 16 size,  might not be exactly the same as the PocketCC though.

I guess this particular lens would cover the S16 frame because it's designed to project over a 1" sensor which is a little larger. I was looking at the exact same lens as well...

Very illustrative, Julian! And I'm waiting for those pics, Andy, I wanna see how the bokeh looks on the Pentax.

Here here's another lens that isn't on the list but could perhaps be a good addition to the list?

Pentax 12.5mm f1.4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553973-REG/Pentax_C21211KP_C21211KP_1_C_Mount.html

If it performs as well as the Cosmicar then I'm getting one!

sharp if you get the right ones

I use the Wesley 24mm f1.4 and Pentax 25mm f1.4 on my GH2 and both are razor sharp

almost Canon L Series sharp!!

superb lenses !

Is there any wider and longer lenses that are worth looking at too?

I'm in two minds about what lenses to get for the pocket, not sure wherever it's worth getting lenses like the Samyang 8mm and 24mm to go along side my 14mm that I already have or go for something smaller and cheaper.

What I'm not liking with these is the soft edges, I know a lot of lenses have soft edges but it's really noticable on some of the these C-mount stills

6928234632_761daeeebd_z.jpg

7074316325_afffc28b40_z.jpg

One other thing, would an 8.5mm lens designed for 2/3" (while still vignetting) be useable (versus that $5 eBay 8mm f/1.2 fixed iris lens for 1/3" sensor)?

The 8.5mm cosmicar and 8mm 1.3 Tokina I tested are for 2/3" I think. The cosmicar is for sure. I don't consider it useable. You might have luck with longer lenses, but even the Tokina 16mm vignettes as you can see.

Is there any wider and longer lenses that are worth looking at too?

I'm in two minds about what lenses to get for the pocket, not sure wherever it's worth getting lenses like the Samyang 8mm and 24mm to go along side my 14mm that I already have or go for something smaller and cheaper.

What I'm not liking with these is the soft edges, I know a lot of lenses have soft edges but it's really noticable on some of the these C-mount stills

This kinda results you get when you use them on image sensors bigger than what they are made for. With the BMPCC sensor it won't be so bad if you use 1" lenses. You probably will have to stop down to get sharp corners, but thats with about every lens.

For example, from my test:

Computar 25mm @ f/1.8: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/image/242-computar-25mm-18/

Computar 25mm @ f/5.6: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/image/244-computar-25mm-56/

This might be a nice wide angle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330905355354?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Canon TV-16 6mm f/1.8 Apparently it is made for 1" sensors, so it should cover the Pocket nicely.

Looks lovely, there is a downside though, it's fixed focus (hyperfocal). I'm not bidding on it, wonder for what price it will go.

$T2eC16RHJH8E9qSEVne!BRZhZjVkcg~~60_57.J

Sorry everyone I know this is a bit off topic but did anyone see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gg0VZWRy1NI

apparently the S16 sensor on the BMPCC has a crop factor of 1.3-1.4 not 3 like I thought...I bring this up here because for me the only reason I would consider buying C-mount lenses(other than the price of course) is the fact that the widest native MFT lense that doesn't have severe barel distortion is what I thought would have the equivalent FOV of a 21mm lens on 35mm sensors(that's the Panasonic Lumix 7-14)...anyone has a clue what's going on?

Sorry everyone I know this is a bit off topic but did anyone see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gg0VZWRy1NI

apparently the S16 sensor on the BMPCC has a crop factor of 1.3-1.4 not 3 like I thought...I bring this up here because for me the only reason I would consider buying C-mount lenses(other than the price of course) is the fact that the widest native MFT lense that doesn't have severe barel distortion is what I thought would have the equivalent FOV of a 21mm lens on 35mm sensors(that's the Panasonic Lumix 7-14)...anyone has a clue what's going on?

I belive that's a crop of 1.3 - 1.4 of the Micro4/3rds so it's roughly a crop factor of 3 of full frame. This is what I thought from what I've read and seen online.

Struggling to find any decent manual aperture ringed lenses between 8 and 24, (I have a Samyang 14mm), I would have liked a wide angle zoom like the Tokina 11 - 16 or the Sigma 8 - 16 but with them not having manual aperture rings you can't use them effectively with the BMPCC. Getting a good range of lenses for the BMPCC may be difficult, especially on a budget.