Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera c-mount lens compatibility list

Julian

Sorry if I'm dumb, but where's the Photoshop file?

gallery_20742_38_34520.jpg

Eagerly awaiting your Pocket Cinema Camera? You already have a micro for thirds camera and some C-mount lenses? Want to know if they will cover the sensor of the Pocket? Lets find out! I hope you will add your results, so we can make this list growing.

I will only add lenses to the lists when you have proof, in other words: images.

How?

Because we know the active sensor area of the BMPCC measures 12,48 x 7,02 mm, it is fairly easy to check if our C-mount lenses will cover the full sensor. Calculate this by taking a picture with a lens on your micro four thirds camera, and crop out the image area of theBMPCC.

gallery_20742_38_2017.jpg

In Photoshop:

1. Open the image.
  2. Go to Edit > Image Size, uncheck resample image.
  3. Change Image width to 19 centimeters, press ok
  4. Go to Image > Canvas Size, change dimensions to 12,48 x 7,02cm, press OK to crop the image to BMPCC size.
  5. Resize to 1920x1080 pixels
  6. Post your results!

Note: If you shoot on the GH3 or other MFT camera's, the sensor size is 17 x 13mm, so change the width in step 3 to 17 cm!

To lazy to do it yourself or you can't work it out? Upload the full resolution files and I'll do it.

List terms explained:

Yes = covers the full sensor of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
No = doesn't cover the sensor
Needs modification = Doesn't fit on C-mount to M43-adapter without modifications
Equivalent = The focal length and depth equivalent on a fullframe camera (5D Mark III for example)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

here is a test of the canon v6x16 regular mode... I discovered the hard way ETC mode seems tu suck for me in lowlight or indoors... everything looks a bit grainy on my GH3 compared to FD lenses on regular mode... no sweat though, I scored 1 for $22 so its not bad, and when I get the BMPC i'll be ready and good to go with 2 lenses (I got also a V6x18 so... :p)

I have my bolex and a zoom c mount 12-120 rx angeniux that I love to use when we shoot film back in the days and also this Arri std lens
Arriflex cinegon / shneider kreuznach 10 mm f1.8
Arriflex cinegon / shneider kreuznach. 16mm f2
Arriflex cinegon / shneider kreuznach. 25mm f1,4
Arriflex cinegon / shneider kreuznach. 50mm f2
I have a adaptor for this to c mount and I use it on my bolex ...I whish they fit well on the bcpc!!

Hi guys,

First post here so hello everyone, big fan of Andrews twitter feed, I also run the gallery website http://bmcc.tv

Super late for the party, but I guess better late than never! I was inspired by you guys to get in the hunt for S16 lenses for the bmpc. It's really is tough since you start loosing perspective in terms of prices. Some of the lenses you are not even sure they work, and you see yourself willing to spend £100-150 pounds on them! Great time to be a vintage lens dealer that's for sure!

Anyways, after lurking for days for the switar 10mm I put an order, but then changed my mind and got switar 16mm 1.8 for a quarter of the price. I also found this website which seems quite useful, since it mentions the bmpc

http://www.filmcentre.co.uk/faq_ic.htm

There I found a photo of a GH1 with the lens, it's somewhere on that first page:

http://www.filmcentre.co.uk/images/lens-tests/Switar-16mm-f1.8@1.8%20[GH1-16x9]400.jpg

http://www.filmcentre.co.uk/images/lens-tests/Switar-16mm-f1.8@f16%20[GH1-16x9]400.jpg

I overlayed the crop you guys have here and it seems safe:

[attachment=560:switar_16mm_1_8.jpg]

I didnt take the photos, but I am pretty sure this is correct? what do you guys think?

Best,

Cris

Man, the V6x lenses from canon almost cover the MFT sensor! I just got the V6X18 18-108mm f1.6 in today, here is a test shot at 18mm f1.6 on a Panasonic GF3 with the crop lined out.... at 108mm i can say it barely, and I mean BARELY vignettes on the MFT at all.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:621]

Andrew, Anyone, reposting to this thread....

Have more information on these CCTV lenses for possible use on the BMC Pocket Camera?

I have emailed them for a price quote, but know they are not cheap CCTV lenses.

http://www.qioptiq-s...es/MeVis-C.html

They were used on this Ikonskop shoot as well as sequences of Slumdog Millionaire.

https://vimeo.com/36804057

As the Ikonskop sensor is a S16 in theory these lenses should work fine with the BMCP?

Ikonskop is a 2/3" sensor (10,6x6mm) as compared to the slightly larger true S16 BMCP sensor....

US$ prices on quote I received:

$2,541 each = 0020-005-000-40

MeVis-C 1.8/12    2/3"

$1,349 each = 0020-004-000-40

MeVis-C 1.6/16     2/3"

$1,059 each = 0020-002-000-40 MeVis-C 1.6/25  1"

Andrew, Anyone, reposting to this thread....

Have more information on these CCTV lenses for possible use on the BMC Pocket Camera?

I have emailed them for a price quote, but know they are not cheap CCTV lenses.

http://www.qioptiq-s...es/MeVis-C.html

They were used on this Ikonskop shoot as well as sequences of Slumdog Millionaire.

https://vimeo.com/36804057

As the Ikonskop sensor is a S16 in theory these lenses should work fine with the BMCP?

Ikonskop is a 2/3" sensor (10,6x6mm) as compared to the slightly larger true S16 BMCP sensor....

US$ prices on quote I received:

$2,541 each = 0020-005-000-40

MeVis-C 1.8/12    2/3"

$1,349 each = 0020-004-000-40

MeVis-C 1.6/16     2/3"

$1,059 each = 0020-002-000-40 MeVis-C 1.6/25  1"

If I had that money to buy lenses I'd probably get the Optar Illumina T1.3 ones. They're designed for Super16 and are faster, plus they have gears. Don't know if they're better or worse optically, but they're probably more organic.

Here's a test (with very bad processing even though it's at 1080p and some bad camera work) that I found at Reduser.net. There aren't many sample out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-e_3BSg4uM

Hi everybody,

finally got some time to test a few other lenses:

1. Angenieux 12-120mm F2.2

I know a lot of you have been wondering about this one, and it seems to work:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:622]

This is with the aperture at 2.8

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:623]

In this one, the aperture is closed to F22.
It's a close shave, but there is no vignetting (I don't know why it's slightly off center)

2. Som Berthiot Pan Cinor 17-85mm F2
This is another popular lens, it's the one with the viewfinder on the side. 

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:625]

This is the image at 17mm, the wide end, F2. As you can see, the edges are blurred, so can get away with slightly dark corners. However, when you close the iris:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:626]

You get sharp black edges, not very pretty. So I zoomed in a little, to about 20mm.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:627]

This is the image at about 20mm, F2. No problem here, as the edges are blurred, and stopped down:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:628]

So you can't use the wide end. It's an interesting lens, nevertheless.

3. Avenir 6.5mm 1.8

This is a very wide, fixed focus TV lens, possibly for surveillance cameras, and it works:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:624]

Just as the Angenieux 10mm, it has to be slightly unscrewed to deliver a sharp image. It has some distortion (as can be seen in the balcony rail in front) but the center seems to be relatively unaffected. Might be good for steadicam work.

Hey, pulp_writer - many thanks for these tests. I have both the Som Berthoit 17-85mm and the 17.5-70mm, and this is the first indication I've had of how they might perform. 

I've gambled and picked up a range of lenses early - Som Berthiot zooms and more practically, Kern-Paillard Switar primes - in hope of beating the inevitable rush. The real time to do this was right when the M4/3 format was announced - if only! - but I still saved quite a bit over where these lenses are now, and where they'll be going after the BMPC hits the streets.

I'm going to stay on the lookout for tests of the Switar 50mm, 25mm, 16mm and 10mm, as they're small and well suited to keeping a low profile with the Pocket Camera. Thanks again for your work.

Here's the response I received from BMD support

"The camera has just been announced therefore we do not have the full in-depth spec, however to the best of my knowledge the crop factor is 1.3 in relation to a MFT lens and a 2.6 in relation to a 35mm lens."

so it's a little better than S16 crop but defintely super wide angles will be a problem if you don't want to pay a lot of money.

Don't want to confuse the issue but my calculations say 1.5 for MFT and 3.0 for FF.  Just a case of dividing the two diagonals, I would have thought!

I have a bunch of old lenses from an 8mm Bolex I inherited a few years back.  The most interesting lens is a "Zeika" Japanese "Nominar" F0.95 with a focal length of 25mm.  I don't know much about it but it says on the side "Nominar 1 Inch F:0.95 for 16mm Cine".  I've used it with my cheap-o C-mount adapter on my old Panasonic G2 for fun and it takes some interesting shots (various samples here: http://imgur.com/a/qgB53 ).  I notice that on a M43 while shooting 16:9, it almost is 100% vignette free (maybe because it's a 1 inch piece of glass?).  

Anyways, I don't have photoshop but attached is a test image I'd like to see cropped since it should be a perfect match for the Pocket Cinema since it has a Super 16 sensor.

Test Image Here: http://i.imgur.com/OJWakpP.jpg

Is it just me, or is it starting to seem that the c-lens route is not terribly promising for the bmpcc? The wider ones all seem to have problems? Looks like native mft, or adapted superwides from other dslr companies are better? (possibly using speed booster for ff lenses).