Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera c-mount lens compatibility list

Julian

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's what I thought as well but the guy says otherwise in the video....he says they "improved the crop factor over the previous camera"  and like I said the shot with what apears to be the 14mm lens at about 00:50 of the video seems pretty wide considering how close the camera on the table apears to be to the camera....anyway sorry again I don't mean to go way off topic here. I'll try and email BMD

Looking at the sensor size of the BMPCC -  12.48mm x 7.02mm, Compared to the Canon 5D - 36 × 24 mm, I think it did mean that's equivelent to what it would be on MFTs not Full Frame.

Coming from a 550D like myself which is as a sensor of 22.3 × 14.9, makes it sound a bit more managable when looking for lens as a 14mm would be roughly equiv to a 25mm on the 550D if I've work it out correctly, which I could live with for my wide.

But your right, That video is quite confusing, maybe the BlackMagic reps have mixed up information with the 4K model, because the pocket's sensor is smaller then the original Cinema Camera (15.81mm x 8.88mm) so how can it have it improved crop factor? The 4K will have improved crop factor as it's sensor is (21.12mm x 11.88mm) so maybe the rep mixed up the information between the two newly announced cameras in that video?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to be just a 1.3/4 crop but I think it's just the reps information not being very clear.

That's what I thought as well but the guy says otherwise in the video....he says they "improved the crop factor over the previous camera"  and like I said the shot with what apears to be the 14mm lens at about 00:50 of the video seems pretty wide considering how close the camera on the table apears to be to the camera....anyway sorry again I don't mean to go way off topic here. I'll try and email BMD

This is not off topic. If you are right it redefines the whole meaning of this thread.

Looking forward to seeing Blackmagic's reply!

Shame Blackmagic makes this more confusing than it is. Guys, there is no doubt that the cropfactor is 3x, the sensor measures 12,48 x 7,02 mm. You can calculate the diagonal and compare it to fullframe and the cropfactor is 3x. Fact.

The Computar 12,5-75mm 1,2 seems like a good zoom option. 

Anyone knows if it will vignette or how sharp it is?

Pretty sure i'ts not made for 1" sensors, so it will vignette most definitely.

By the way: the EXTC mode of the GH2 is smaller than the BMPCC sensor, so if your lens covers the image in EXTC, it's not guaranteed it will on the BMPCC. If the corners are poor in EXTC, it will be worse on the BMPCC.

just eBayed a Canon TV Zoom C6x17 17-102mm f/2, this is made for 1" sensors and I saw some pictures on flickr where it covers most of the m43 frame, so it will be safe on the BMPCC.

It will turn into a 51mm-306mm f/2 on the Pocket. I'm curious how it will look when I use an anamorphic on it to get a bit wider..

Check out the Fujinon zoom TV lenses too, there's some cheap and fast ones out there with great picture quality.

I think one of the advantages of the pocket camera is size, so using small 16mm lenses would be better than huge DSLR lenses with adapters.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, you might be able to find a proper cinema lens, like a zeiss, schneider or canon cine zoom for as low as $1000, and seriously, that's probably all you'd need.

Pretty sure i'ts not made for 1" sensors, so it will vignette most definitely.

By the way: the EXTC mode of the GH2 is smaller than the BMPCC sensor, so if your lens covers the image in EXTC, it's not guaranteed it will on the BMPCC. If the corners are poor in EXTC, it will be worse on the BMPCC.

just eBayed a Canon TV Zoom C6x17 17-102mm f/2, this is made for 1" sensors and I saw some pictures on flickr where it covers most of the m43 frame, so it will be safe on the BMPCC.

It will turn into a 51mm-306mm f/2 on the Pocket. I'm curious how it will look when I use an anamorphic on it to get a bit wider..

I have a cosmicar /pentax 12.5-75mm 1f1.8 c mount

but it needs the mount machining to get it to focus properly (shorter flange focal distance)

its too far off the camera so its essentially a macro lens until this is fixed

so basically no focus at all on a gh2 massive vingetting - avoid!

Here here's another lens that isn't on the list but could perhaps be a good addition to the list?

Pentax 12.5mm f1.4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553973-REG/Pentax_C21211KP_C21211KP_1_C_Mount.html

If it performs as well as the Cosmicar then I'm getting one!

One guy in the review section writes already, that this lens is vignetting.

Great thread Julian, really love this and your approach to it. This will help a lot of people!

Thanks Mirrorkisser! I would do it for myself anyway, but I'm sure more people are interested so I'm glad to share.

Also it would be nice to combine our knowledge and make this list grow together! I'm sure there are more people with C-mount glass here :)

Other mounts, like B4 are welcome as well of course.

Here's the response I received from BMD support

"The camera has just been announced therefore we do not have the full in-depth spec, however to the best of my knowledge the crop factor is 1.3 in relation to a MFT lens and a 2.6 in relation to a 35mm lens."

so it's a little better than S16 crop but defintely super wide angles will be a problem if you don't want to pay a lot of money.

Here's the response I received from BMD support

"The camera has just been announced therefore we do not have the full in-depth spec, however to the best of my knowledge the crop factor is 1.3 in relation to a MFT lens and a 2.6 in relation to a 35mm lens."

so it's a little better than S16 crop but defintely super wide angles will be a problem if you don't want to pay a lot of money.

Looking at this chart - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format (bottom of the page). It's more likely to be 3x crop in relation to full frame.

It's not much of an issue for me as I've never owned a Full Frame camera, the Samyang 14mm on the BMPCC will be roughly equiv to a 25mm on a 550D (if I worked it out correctly) which I could live with as my widest.

I'm not sure but if somehow you change the distance between the lens and the sensor wouldn't you be able to project the same image on a smaller or larger surface and therefore changing the FOV crop? obviously the focal marks wouldn't work and the lens may not be able to attain infinity focus at the infinity point on the lens but that's why most of the lenses I own go a little bit beyond infinity...I guess that's what BMD must be doing in order to reduce the crop factor slightly.

I'm not sure but if somehow you change the distance between the lens and the sensor wouldn't you be able to project the same image on a smaller or larger surface and therefore changing the FOV crop? obviously the focal marks wouldn't work and the lens may not be able to attain infinity focus at the infinity point on the lens but that's why most of the lenses I own go a little bit beyond infinity...I guess that's what BMD must be doing in order to reduce the crop factor slightly.

That wouldn't work unless you had another lens in there somewhere, which is kind of what the speed booster does.

BMD did nothing to change the FOV crop, the numbers in that image were the relationship between the Pocket camera sensor and a normal Micro 4/3 sensor, whereas usually the crop is determined against a full frame sensor.

It's a very misleading chart, but then again so is comparing sensors to full frame, since the cinema standard should be Super35.

I completely understand that...but then how come the crop factor is less than what it should be(which is 2.9)? the only way I could think of is moving the lens closer to the sensor thus reducing the projected image size on the surface(i.e. mounting the lens at a point that's closer than the flange focal distance of the MFT which is 19.25mm, the depth of the BMPCC is 38mm according to the site)...I guess this would mean that the lens will achieve infinity focus before the infinity mark on the lens and wouldn't be able to achieve the minimum focus distance...but the projection size would be smaller fitting more of the image on the lens surface and therefore reducing the crop from 2.9 to 2.6

I'm not saying this is what they did or if the above would actually work...just a thought

That wouldn't work unless you had another lens in there somewhere, which is kind of what the speed booster does.

BMD did nothing to change the FOV crop, the numbers in that image were the relationship between the Pocket camera sensor and a normal Micro 4/3 sensor, whereas usually the crop is determined against a full frame sensor.

It's a very misleading chart, but then again so is comparing sensors to full frame, since the cinema standard should be Super35.