Improving GH5 colour - comparison with 5D3 RAW

hyalinejim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Here is the LUT for colour correction only - the V-Log gamma remains unchanged. This should be first in your post pipeline.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1exEpCRAfgFcVdtSXhRdmJvalE

Nice work on the color matching, really hard to tell them apart. I played around with some of the DNGs and TIFFs; I can stretch the DNGs a lot more and get more latitude from them. Compressed DNG output is now a thing: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.new#new

I like the second set on all of them better. If that is the GH5 you guys need to re think the 5D mkIII. Even if its not, who the heck, other than side by side, is going to see any difference in this. I do see more DR in the second set, so that helps, but who wants to give up all the benefits of the GH5 for what little you gain with Raw on the 5D.

Just send all those 5Ds to me, and I will give them to the "Little Sisters of the Poor". :grimace: And no, I have no sisters, only brothers. :grin:

And you did one hell of a great job on this comparison hyalinejim. 2 Thumbs UP! When you send me your 5D3 I will use your return address to send you a Cookie!

46 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I like the second set on all of them better. If that is the GH5 you guys need to re think the 5D mkIII. Even if its not, who the heck, other than side by side, is going to see any difference in this. I do see more DR in the second set, so that helps, but who wants to give up all the benefits of the GH5 for what little you gain with Raw on the 5D.

Just send all those 5Ds to me, and I will give them to the "Little Sisters of the Poor". :grimace: And no, I have no sisters, only brothers. :grin:

And you did one hell of a great job on this comparison hyalinejim. 2 Thumbs UP! When you send me your 5D3 I will use your return address to send you a Cookie!

The problem is, not to burst GH5 owners' bubbles, or take anything away from @hyalinejim 's work here, is that it takes about 35 seconds to a minute to get the color out of 5D3 Raw. And if you're not getting the same latitude as Raw, as @squig reported, then you may as well save the $500 and get a 5D3.

13 minutes ago, mercer said:

The problem is, not to burst GH5 owners' bubbles, or take anything away from @hyalinejim 's work here, is that it takes about 35 seconds to a minute to get the color out of 5D3 Raw. And if you're not getting the same latitude as Raw, as @squig reported, then you may as well save the $500 and get a 5D3.

But converting the files to something your NLE can read takes some extra time, as well as factoring in the extra storage costs of RAW files. 

A horse apiece in my opinion, and the GH5 offers a lot ergonomically/feature set-wise (IBIS, HFR, 4K, uncompressed HDMI out, XLR-capable, no playback issues, etc) that makes it a more practical option for many shooters. 

The GH5 10-bit files offer enough latitude for color correction that there's no reason you couldn't get great results with a minute in Resolve and/or some of the excellent LUTs available, imo. Plus 4K is nice to have in the tool belt when clients want it. YMMV

8 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

But converting the files to something your NLE can read takes some extra time, as well as factoring in the extra storage costs of RAW files. 

A horse apiece in my opinion, and the GH5 offers a lot ergonomically/feature set-wise (IBIS, HFR, 4K, uncompressed HDMI out, XLR-capable, no playback issues, etc) that makes it a more practical option for many shooters. 

The GH5 10-bit files offer enough latitude for color correction that there's no reason you couldn't get great results with a minute in Resolve and/or some of the excellent LUTs available, imo. YMMV

Oh yeah, I am not disagreeing with you, the GH5 is an amazing camera with a lot of features. More camera than probably 50% of the readers' needs and GH5 owner's needs on this site. But I believe the premise of Hyalinejim's efforts is to get Canon-like color out of the GH5, because he wasn't fond of the color coming out of the GH5... so it's a dubious plus for the GH5... and I am really referring to the new GH5 fan boys that are floating around the site. 

So your telling me if your daughter is getting married, you are going on a trip of a lifetime, you are going to meet the Pope, you are going to use a 5D3 over a GH5? Hmm.

Now if you have all day to make a short well I can see using a 5D3, or using my AF100. I just can't see the average person on here gaining enough to to have a 5D3 over a GH5? Sure it is like a BMPCC, A nice output, but at what price for convenience do you pay? Is it really worth the Hassle, I guess that is what i am saying? Sure it has a beautiful output, the GH5 can have it also with knowledge, hyalinejim just showed that , and can do LOTS of cool tricks built in on top of that.

I would argue a Sony F3 has a better output with the 444 thingy than both these cameras. Cost about the same money in reality. But would I buy it over a GH5, hmm for output yes, for a overall experience hell no!

And this is what Andrew wrote on DPR, about the 5D3. Now I know we are talking about ML Raw here but...

https://***URL removed***/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/25

13 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

But converting the files to something your NLE can read takes some extra time. 

MLVFS. Feel like I'm beating a dead horse around here. Works better than GH5 4K 60p files imo. GH5 certainly has some nice features (and I may just get one in the future) but I don't think this thread proves that GH5 = MLRaw, just that you can get a similar colour out of it (you could do the same with any camera if you spent the time).

24 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

So your telling me if your daughter is getting married, you are going on a trip of a lifetime, you are going to meet the Pope, you are going to use a 5D3 over a GH5? Hmm.

Now if you have all day to make a short well I can see using a 5D3, or using my AF100. I just can't see the average person on here gaining enough to to have a 5D3 over a GH5? Sure it is like a BMPCC, A nice output, but at what price for convenience do you pay? Is it really worth the Hassle, I guess that is what i am saying? Sure it has a beautiful output, the GH5 can have it also with knowledge, hyalinejim just showed that , and can do LOTS of cool tricks built in on top of that.

I would argue a Sony F3 has a better output with the 444 thingy than both these cameras. Cost about the same money in reality. But would I buy it over a GH5, hmm for output yes, for a overall experience hell no!

Good point, but I wouldn't use a GH5 under those circumstances either.

5 minutes ago, deezid said:

You can even make the GH5 look like a $6000 Blackmagic Ursa Mini (Pro) 4.6k, which is even better!

But is that a testament to the GH5 or a deficit of the Ursa... JK.

26 minutes ago, tweak said:

MLVFS. Feel like I'm beating a dead horse around here. Works better than GH5 4K 60p files imo. GH5 certainly has some nice features (and I may just get one in the future) but I don't think this thread proves that GH5 = MLRaw, just that you can get a similar colour out of it (you could do the same with any camera if you spent the time).

I really have to test these MLVFS I've been hearing so much about... if only someone on this site advocated more for them...

15 minutes ago, deezid said:

You can even make the GH5 look like a $6000 Blackmagic Ursa Mini (Pro) 4.6k, which is even better!

The Ursa Mini 4.6 is definitely a step up from a GH5 when it comes to a Cine camera in all respects, output and ease of use. And how little time required to get that output like you have stated. Now does it have all the tricks a GH5 has, no. And I think that is what these discussions need to be about.

Is is about total output, or total ease of use, with a ton of extras thrown in to boot with the GH5. Sure if we have lots of money we can have 3, 4 different cameras. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can Only afford One system and that is, to put it "all my eggs in one basket" as they say.

So I don't see how most people on here can Not justify buying a GH5 for their overall needs. Is it the best Cine camera no, is it the best overall camera we can afford, I give that a nod to the plus side.

The 5D3 is a cool as hell camera. Better than the BMPCC in reality. But as it stands right now, I see it as more of a novelty camera than a practical full use camera.

If I had to make a living tomorrow with either a 5D3 or a GH5, well you know my answer to that ditty.

49 minutes ago, tweak said:

But it might be a BSOD in Windows 10. No real later support for it looks like. Are you running Windows 10?

49 minutes ago, tweak said: