Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Anyway I predict a7s3 coming autumn 18 in that thread, I wonder if that still holds or get pushed for winter release

If Nikon is really coming out with these Mirrorless cameras I think Sony Has to announce something new to keep Sony's name alive during that news cycle. Maybe the A7s mk III, And a New A9 mk II. ?

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’d like to see Prores RAW.

Whatever became of Atomos urging everyone to lobby their congressman to get manufacturers to output RAW over HDMI?

It all seemed to go very quiet after all those videos from NAB of one of their chief's telling everyone to do it.

Intrigued me that the video posted in the Nikon frenzy thread saying Atomos helped Nikon develop N-LOG so I would've thought that would have been an opportune moment for them to persuade a manufacturer to do it if it was indeed possible.

And it would've given Nikon a bit of a coup as well.

prores was never that common on consumer cameras other than blackmagic. even on sony cameras, you have to pay for that option. it's an expensive codec because of apple. so i don't understand all of the sudden this requests for prores raw. it only works with final cut at the moment and if you don't have prores, most likely you're not going to get prores raw. that's why you see proprietary codecs, xavc, avc, canon xf avc, etc

11 minutes ago, froess said:

prores was never that common on consumer cameras other than blackmagic. even on sony cameras, you have to pay for that option. it's an expensive codec because of apple. so i don't understand all of the sudden this requests for prores raw. it only works with final cut at the moment and if you don't have prores, most likely you're not going to get prores raw. that's why you see proprietary codecs, xavc, avc, canon xf avc, etc

ProRes RAW is proprietary monopoly. And shamelessly so. If anything, it should probably be boycotted. 

21 hours ago, sanveer said:

ProRes RAW is proprietary monopoly. And shamelessly so. If anything, it should probably be boycotted. 

80% of productions currently record in Prores, and we’ll soon see Prores RAW widely adopted in the industry, so good luck with that!

If your argument is that Apple holds the rights, then by that logic, we should throw out all patents!

Just out of curiosity - what precisely do you mean by ‘shamelessly so’? You mean like a woman of ill repute showing off her wares on 8 mile road? ?

39 minutes ago, jonpais said:

80% of productions currently record in Prores, and we’ll soon see Prores RAW widely adopted in the industry, so good luck with that!

If your argument is that Apple holds the rights, then by that logic, we should throw out all patents!

Just out of curiosity - what precisely do you mean by ‘shamelessly so’? You mean like a woman of ill repute showing off her wares on 8 mile road? ?

I dont agree. We have been through all this with stills. JPEG is a universal open format that everyone uses - I doubt we would use it, if it was a format licensed from Canon. DNG is a 'raw format' that Adobe claims is 'open' but as it owns it, it hasnt received widespread adoption apart from in Adobe products in the last 10 years.

Inherently a raw video format doesnt have any need of ownership/patents because it is simply a format for 'raw data' coming off the sensor. It is not trying to cure cancer. And conceptually making 'raw' proprietary is an 'oxymoron' rather like paying a clothes company for the privilege of walking around in the raw.

If you think that paying a company for the privilege of taking 'raw' data off a sensor is a workable concept then I just think you are being heroically optimistic. Of course, Apple would presumably argue that 'prores raw' isnt actually 'raw' but is 'doctored raw' which is fine apart from the fact they are misrepresenting what they are selling in the first place.

BTW can we have a source for the '80% of productions currently record in prores'?

27 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I dont agree. We have been through all this with stills. JPEG is a universal open format that everyone uses - I doubt we would use it, if it was a format licensed from Canon. DNG is a 'raw format' that Adobe claims is 'open' but as it owns it, it hasnt received widespread adoption apart from in Adobe products in the last 10 years.

Inherently a raw video format doesnt have any need of ownership/patents because it is simply a format for 'raw data' coming off the sensor. It is not trying to cure cancer. And conceptually making 'raw' proprietary is an 'oxymoron' rather like paying a clothes company for the privilege of walking around in the raw.

If you think that paying a company for the privilege of taking 'raw' data off a sensor is a workable concept then I just think you are being heroically optimistic. Of course, Apple would presumably argue that 'prores raw' isnt actually 'raw' but is 'doctored raw' which is fine apart from the fact they are misrepresenting what they are selling in the first place.

BTW can we have a source for the '80% of productions currently record in prores'?

Sure, Jeromy Young’s talk at NAB 2018. 

ProRes RAW has one downside over DNG Raw. It has 1 1/2 stops less Dynamic Range. But not too many cameras can even shoot in DNG Raw so probably not a big problem for most.

This is a DJI video on the X7. But it has a lot of info about ProRes Raw and even some tips on FCPX using it.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-158286-1-1.html

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

ProRes RAW has one downside over DNG Raw. It has 1 1/2 stops less Dynamic Range. But not too many cameras can even shoot in DNG Raw so probably not a big problem for most.

This is a DJI video on the X7. But it has a lot of info about ProRes Raw and even some tips on FCPX using it.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-158286-1-1.html

Wow. Drooling over here. 

There is a ProRes Raw HQ also. I don't know much about it. it is like 300mbs. It has a higher data rate than ProRes Raw. it probably has more DR. How much more, I don't know.

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

Wow. Drooling over here. 

Yeah that is pretty amazing seeing how it is from a Drone! An Expensive Drone, but yeah, Wow.

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

I’m not sure your argument is convincing, Rob. Paying someone so I can walk around in the buff is different from dozens of software engineers working together for months. If it’s just data off the sensor, then anyone should be able to cook it up in their kitchen, right? Anyhow, the only person I could find who thought it was a conspiracy is Vitaly at PV, and he’s a bit of an eccentric. I’ve seen lots of industry leaders and respected filmmakers who have nothing but great things to say about ProRes RAW, and none of them mention anything about deceptive marketing practices or say it should be free. But camera manufacturers and Atomos will be offering it in their products at no extra cost to the consumer. In fact, Atomos has already given free updates to owners of their recorders and the Panasonic EVA1 firmware update v.2.0 added it, along with a couple other companies. Anyhow, nobody’s forcing anyone to use ProRes RAW - you can shoot other RAW formats if you like. Just as I’m free not to buy a certain cinema camera because they intentionally leave out a middle codec.

13 hours ago, wolf33d said:

THIS. Gimme ProRes RAW everywhere. This is the real deal. 

You should. 

I work on a custom tower, so laptop comparisons don't apply to me at all. Plus I vastly prefer the functionality and UI of Windows; there's no way I'm switching to a new NLE just for ProRes RAW, let alone a new OS .