No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

On 5/2/2017 at 4:09 PM, Arikhan said:

@cpc

Just beeing curious: How does the 1080p-ML-footage looks, when upscaled to 4K? Is the look better when

A. You upscale to 4K in post or
B. When you display the 1080p-ML-footage on a 4K TV (as most 4K TVs do a very good upscale of FullHD footage) ?

No idea. I haven't attempted upscaling to 4K. I don't think it makes much sense. People used to upscale 2.8K Alexa to 4K before Arri enabled open gate, and it looks fine, but 1080p might be a stretch.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/30/2017 at 8:31 PM, Hanriverprod said:

Jean-Baptiste Marcant shared these stunning shots of Rome.

- Resolution : 3072x1024 px
- Bits : 14 bpp Lossless
- Aspect Ratio : 3:1

Also, lostfeliz on ml forum says that hdmi out monitoring is possible on higher res without lag for focusing but you only get 40% of the image on center. They were wondering if it might somehow be able to pan the area to get focus on other parts of the frame. (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.575)

If anybody else wants to chime in on this development or where the experimental builds are in terms of preview on the higher res modes...

Lovely footage!...too bad about the banding in the sky in the shot of the flag and the rolling shutter in the last shot of the bus...really no "perfect" camera out there...just what we feel we can or cannot live with.

On 5/2/2017 at 8:09 AM, Arikhan said:

@cpc

Just beeing curious: How does the 1080p-ML-footage looks, when upscaled to 4K? Is the look better when

A. You upscale to 4K in post or
B. When you display the 1080p-ML-footage on a 4K TV (as most 4K TVs do a very good upscale of FullHD footage) ?

5D RAW upscaled to 4K

5D RAW upscaled to 4K + a few XC10 4k shots and Blackmagic pocket cinema camera shots on the bus, and car dialogue scene.

On 26/4/2017 at 4:42 PM, howard said:

I wish there was a GH5 vs Mark 3 ML raw 14bit comparison somewhere.

I took some quick shots today with a GH5 and 5D and hope to upload RAW DNGs and VLog TIFFs for comparison. For now here's a teaser:

jv8PtUc.jpg

M59tcSU.jpg

GH5: f5.6 - 1/800s - ISO400 - C4K - VLog - 10bit - ETTR - no noise reduction - no sharpening

5D: f5.6 - 1/400s - ISO100 - 3520 x 1320 - 12 bit lossless - ETTR - upscaled to 4096 x 1540 - no noise reduction - no sharpening

But which is which? :tounge:

The detail is pretty good in the 5D3, huh? I wasn't expecting it to hold up so well against the GH5's Cinema4K res although I can't really see myself shooting in 2.67:1 on the 5D just to eke out the last few pixels of resolution.

For me the biggest giveaway between the two is the difference in lens contrast and flaring, rather than the usual concerns with resolution, dynamic range or colour. (Although, the GH5 has more usable dynamic range - at the same exposure there seems to me to be 0.66 stops more info in the highlights and 0.66 in the shadows.) And of course the preview on the GH5 is real time!

2 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

(Although, the GH5 has more usable dynamic range - at the same exposure there seems to me to be 0.66 stops more info in the highlights and 0.66 in the shadows.) 

Have you compared them after highlight recovery and a LOG-curve applied to the raw? Just curious :) 

@jpfilmz

I took a look on my 4K TV - about 4m far away from TV (my usual distance when watching TV). The footage looks generally very nice...BUT:

That wasn't that important when watching "Unmasked", because I simply forgot to pay much attention to IQ...A very good and engaging story, top notch audio and (mostly) a very pleasant lighting (beginning in the darkness is really amazing) . WOW...really nice work: Don't dream your life, live your dream...

After watching for the third time, pixelpeepers and "uber-perfectionists" could find for sure some points to criticize...But hey, artistic and good conceptual work (like in your film) is nothing for know-it-alls...It's simply a great story, letting me forget the technical aspects...Just my two cents...

EDIT: ...and a top main actor perfectly matching the type of character/guy you wanted to portray in your story...

On 5/4/2017 at 9:46 PM, hyalinejim said:

I took some quick shots today with a GH5 and 5D and hope to upload RAW DNGs and VLog TIFFs for comparison. For now here's a teaser:

jv8PtUc.jpg

M59tcSU.jpg

GH5: f5.6 - 1/800s - ISO400 - C4K - VLog - 10bit - ETTR - no noise reduction - no sharpening

5D: f5.6 - 1/400s - ISO100 - 3520 x 1320 - 12 bit lossless - ETTR - upscaled to 4096 x 1540 - no noise reduction - no sharpening

But which is which? :tounge:

I would almost bet a professional Colorist could make the GH5 look just like the 5D mkIII or vice versa. Sharpness, well Raw probably wins there on the 5D a bit. So it comes down mostly to DR, low light ability. With a SP I think that takes care of the low light, DR well, I give a 5D 3 a clear 1 stop advantage eh, but no more. 

This makes a not so easy choice! Well for overall all ease of use, the GH5 kills it, for OOC ML a pain in the ass, but probably worth it if output is the ultimate goal here.

And hyalinejim thanks for taking and showing us these comparisons. Good stuff.

8 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would almost bet a professional Colorist could make the GH5 look just like the 5D mkII or vice versa. Sharpness, well Raw probably wins there on the 5D a bit. So it comes down mostly to DR, low light ability. With a SP I think that takes care of the low light, DR well, I give a 5D 3 a clear 1 stop advantage eh, but no more. 

This makes a not so easy choice! Well for overall all ease of use, the GH5 kills it, for OOC ML a pain in the ass, but probably worth it if output is the ultimate goal here.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about 5D3 ML Raw is that it is difficult to shoot with, but in reality, once everything is set up, it is the simplest camera to operate. And even though there are a few extra post steps, color work is pretty simple and straightforward as well. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about 5D3 ML Raw is that it is difficult to shoot with, but in reality, once everything is set up, it is the simplest camera to operate. And even though there are a few extra post steps, color work is pretty simple and straightforward as well. 

Well I guess you ought to know, you seem to be getting some damn good footage out of one.