Canon 5D mkIV Crop Factor Reduction

webrunner5

48 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

None of this is real. These specs are completely (and obviously) made up; there are so many problems with them. Guys, this isn't happening.

I think the fact that they are strange means they aren't made up. Who would make up "3k" for no reason. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

No way people will cancel there orders for no

10bit ,focus peaking , 5axia ibis, etc

plus price point of Gh5 is bargain for indifilmakers 

i agree canon has best PDAF but 8bit and mayby ML thats something i cant gamble my money on

Canon should invest in ML.

Who cares about Canon anyways its 2017 time to move on why spend money on them when they dont listen to you guys? I mean look at Sony or Panna they add or try to add Video tools for Indifilm makers for less cost than canon does and yet people still defend them!

Canon even threatens to take legal actions against ML team if they touch their flagship toys !

40 minutes ago, Matthew19 said:

I think the fact that they are strange means they aren't made up. Who would make up "3k" for no reason. 

Certainly not a company as traditional and backward-looking as Canon, which has never before released any product that shoots video at a non-standard resolution (or frame rate). :)

For one, the specs are far too detailed to be a leak. Leaks usually start with marketing or third parties, not with engineers. We don't even have this much information on how any previous Canon dSLRs produces video, and Canon engineers have denied line skipping in the past (tip toed around it with verbal obfuscation) so why would they admit to using it here and why would an engineer leak anything in this much detail, and if they did, why would so much be blatantly wrong or unconfirmed? Maybe it's someone whose uncle is an engineer? Those listed are two flavors of the codec (which is spelled wrong in the description) that don't currently exist, and the Digic 6+ chip doesn't have an onboard XF-AVC (or whatever) encoder, which is why you get the kludgy codec with the 1DC and 1DX Mk II and the good codecs with the XC10 (using the Digic DV 5 chip, which does have the encoder). The rest just reeks of someone doing some math in his bedroom without really thinking it through. There's not enough throughput to push all those pixels, nor power on the chip to debayer them.

There's something called Occam's duct tape. It's the line of reasoning that most people refer to when supporting conspiracy theories, where all the strings tie together in such a knot that no one could have invented it. Except they did. Just because there's a lot of information, doesn't mean any of it is right. See: pizza gate, Alex Jones, etc.

I could be wrong. I have no inside information about any of this and if this were true it would be great. But this is the most unlikely rumor I've read in a long, long time.

And I agree with what others have written, if you don't like Canon, get something you do like! There's a ton of stuff out there and everyone has different priorities. (Personally I like Arri and Canon so I wouldn't mind if this rumor were true.)

It sounds great.  Same crop with the GH5 with metabones XL.  But if you don't already own the metabones, that puts the GH5 + metabones at nearly the same price range as the 5D4 if you go gray market.  And I'm going to guess 8-bit C-LOG 4:2:2 is more or less on par, and maybe easier to grade than 10-bit V-Log 4:2:2.

GH5 Advanages (even after 5D4 update)

• IBIS
  • Fully articulating swivel screen
  • Video tools such as focus peaking, waveform, vectorscope
  • Legendary Panasonic Battery life (Canon's video recording battery consumption rate is quite high).
  • 4K 60p (vs 3K 60p on the 5D4)
  • No 30-minute recording limit
  • Less rolling shutter

5D4 Advantages:

• DPAF
  • Canon skin tones
  • Full frame 1080p (unchanged)
  • Full frame pictures

Conclusion:  GH5 is still a great purchase.  I wouldn't cancel your preorder.

11 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

If focus peaking is your deal breaker I guess you have never filmed in celluloid, I have shoot in 35mm with a Konvas and 16mm with an eclair NPR, you can not imagine how tiny is the viewfinder in the NPR, of course I didn`t have focus peaking and never needed, there is something called focus chart, probably you should familiarize with it, DPAF is another history, for doc and run&gun is a bless.....yeap, as a filmmaker I could not care less about peaking....

So because you used a focus chart in the past, you don't need focus peaking now?

Err? Not sure I follow. 

DPAF and focus peaking are both great features that serve different needs. Rubbishing a manual focus assistance tool like no one needs it while championing auto focus just makes you sound like a fanboy. 

If this rumour is true (and I'm sure it isn't) the really big news is that canon are overhauling their stance on hybrid video, ditching decades of conservatism regarding releases and showing they are genuinely concerned about mirrorless domination. It has to happen sometime but Canon's MO is incremental change with hardware releases and that has basically never changed. 

9 hours ago, Rava_Rama said:

Who cares about Canon anyways its 2017 time to move on why spend money on them when they dont listen to you guys? I mean look at Sony or Panna they add or try to add Video tools for Indifilm makers for less cost than canon does and yet people still defend them!

Canon even threatens to take legal actions against ML team if they touch their flagship toys !

Not against the 5d series. ML on 5d iv might be my ideal camera, but does not seem to be happening anytime soon.

If it was true (which I'm 99% sure it's not), we would probably see a new "worst rolling shutter" champion, dethroning the a6300. The 5D iv has quite bad RS, reading out even more of the sensor will make it even worse.

Also how would they suddenly manage downscaling and and XF-AFC (does that mean XF-AVC I guess?) with the same processors and encoders that only managed 1:1 read out and MJPEG so far? Not even the C700 can downscale but uses windowed mode if you use a resolution but full sensor raw and that thing is huge, expensive and has active cooling. Which is the last point: "installing a new heat sink". Like what? Do you think Canon left a huge empty space in the 5D iv body just so eventually a year down the line they can install a bigger heat sink?

Sounds completely fabricated. Manufacturers don't run their product at 60% performance to then suddenly go "surprise mofos! We got a firmware update that makes everything so much better!". If this was Fuji, well maaaaybe, but Canon? Did they ever bring anything meaningful in a fw update except the one to extend the 7D sales cycle?

7 hours ago, Chrad said:

So because you used a focus chart in the past, you don't need focus peaking now?

Err? Not sure I follow. 

DPAF and focus peaking are both great features that serve different needs. Rubbishing a manual focus assistance tool like no one needs it while championing auto focus just makes you sound like a fanboy. 

The answer was regarding if peaking was a break dealer like DPAF, it is not, is it a great feature?, yes of course, but anyone can live without it with relativity no big issues, DPAF in the other hand is an amazing tool for docs and run&gun, if I am going to shoot a doc I want it, can I shoot the doc without it?, sure, but the quantity of pressure and work you put out of your shoulders is a lot....no shoot lost due to bad focus, that's just fantastic!!!

If I am more oriented to fiction, then probably Canon is not the right tool, I use a Red One for that kind of shooting......and I would love an ARRI

Now, I could not be more less excited about the GH5, is it a great tool?, sure, for the right people and projects, will I use it?, no way, I have Canon glasses, I don`t want to use a metabones, and if the rumors are true, at least part of it, like reduction of the crop factor and C-log, I will choose a 5Dmkiv over a GH5 any day of the week.

I think Canon underestimated how many of their Mark iii sales were in direct relation to Magic Lantern. Without an ML hack and poor video options in the Mark IV, the sales probably haven't been as good as they projected. Conservative company or not, they still have share holders to answer to.

If this rumor didn't include the heat sink part, I wouldn't believe it, with the new heat sink I believe that a lot of it could be true.

Also a lot of folks are hammering Canon for not releasing a 1DCii, which I don't think they have plans for... the new 5D Mark IV will be that DSLR Cinema Camera that a lot of shooters want. 

Is it definitely true... IDK. If it is... it will probably be announced at NAB... Maybe...

1 hour ago, Django said:

Yeah the second link on the C100 proves that Canon was changing the whole sensor on it to enable DPAF. Hell if they redesign a whole sensor, making shit happen in the 5D mkIV is not out of the realm for them. They will not be coming out with a new one for years, unlike how Sony does. They don't want some slow ass selling, outdated thing hanging around for 2 more years. Well at least I hope not!  :fearful:

There's this old theory that states that Canon and Nikon only care about each other as competitors. It may have been true when DSLRs were the only game in town, but I can assure you Canon and Nikon, even with their video hiccups, know what they are doing and in the end, the bottom line is all that matters to them. They care about market share and if Canon can gain some video market share out from under Panasonic, which should have a very good year with the GH5, and keep their current share, they will do it, they have the tech and the resources.

And an update like this will probably make them succeed on both fronts.