Canon 5D mkIV Crop Factor Reduction

webrunner5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

It would be unprecedented for Canon to buck the video standards with 1080/75p.

That part of the rumour seems made up.

Could even be an attempt to make people reconsider their move to Sony or their GH5 order and wait for NAB.

Unless the 75fps is part of a variable-frame-rate mode with in-camera conform to 24p then I just can't see it happening and the crop is not just a software / firmware thing - the hardware needs to be capable of that 5K readout as well.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Could even be an attempt to make people reconsider their move to Sony or their GH5 order and wait for NAB.

Unless the 75fps is part of a variable-frame-rate mode with in-camera conform to 24p then I just can't see it happening and the crop is not just a software / firmware thing - the hardware needs to be capable of that 5K readout as well.

75fps would be a 40% slow down for those delivering in 30p. So it's the 60fps equiv for a 24fps.

If this is true, he 5Dmk4 sales must be really bad or Canon starts to realize how outdated their new "flagship" is to propose these emergency fixes.  Either way this is pathetic and Canon deserves it. A pig with lipstick is still a pig, the 5D4 doesn't have the appropriate hardware to compete with the Panasonic and Sony. I'm certainly not going to cancel my GH5 and I'm looking forward for the Sony A7S3. Too late Canon.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I think people is already reconsidering their move on the GH5

Well exciting though such a firmware update would be...

1. There's very little chance of it being real

2. It's still not got all the features of the GH5 or 5 axis IBIS

3. No articulated screen and no EVF

4. Worse rolling shutter.

But hey. Canon badge.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well exciting though such a firmware update would be...

1. There's very little chance of it being real

2. It's still not got all the features of the GH5 or 5 axis IBIS

3. No articulated screen and no EVF

4. Worse rolling shutter.

But hey. Canon badge.

And the GH5 does not give you a professional FF still camera in the package

does not have superb canon AF in video 

does not have canon lenses (speed booster with no proper AF, thanks but no)

I am angry at Canon because of their approach to Indy filmmaking wasting a big potential they had. But let's appreciate this update if real. The least it can do is shake Nikon and Sony a bit to bring us better video features soon. 

A 5DIV with CLog, 1.3 crop, 3K at 60fps and nice codec would be a good thing. 

6 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Haha Andrew you are going to buy the 5D MKIV :)and you know it.

Doesn't he have a 1Dx2 already ? I could totally see Canon not bringing C-Log and better codec to the 1Dx2 to force owners to get a 5D4...

5 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

A 5DIV with CLog, 1.3 crop, 3K at 60fps and nice codec would be a good thing. 

This is the bare minimum for a flagship camera in 2015-2016. Now the standard are 4k60 with no crop, IBIS and potentially 10bits. Even if this upgrade is real, Canon is still lagging far behind and it's not going to look any better with the next A7S & R camera.

6 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Doesn't he have a 1Dx2 already ? I could totally see Canon not bringing C-Log and better codec to the 1Dx2 to force owners to get a 5D4...

This is the bare minimum for a flagship camera in 2015-2016. Now the standard are 4k60 with no crop, IBIS and potentially 10bits. Even if this upgrade is real, Canon is still lagging far behind and it's not going to look any better with the next A7S & R camera.

Naa, the 1dxII looks better than the a7sII to a lot of people. This update will put the 5dIV ahead of the 1dxII if it's true. 

7 minutes ago, Matthew19 said:

Naa, the 1dxII looks better than the a7sII to a lot of people. This update will put the 5dIV ahead of the 1dxII if it's true. 

makes no sense  , rumours are false too why would Canon do that to their flagship! Did Canon officially announce this firmware updates? 

some of this stuff seems made up... especially:

The newer firmware will still work in non-serviced cameras, but this may result in premature temperature warnings.

that sounds so un-canon like.. them always bragging about stability over higher performance.

firmware specs do sound great though and could push me to upgrade from 5D3 ML if true..

Just now, Rava_Rama said:

makes no sense  , rumours are false too why would Canon do that to their flagship! Did Canon officially announce this firmware updates? 

It makes sense to fix the 5D first because A: there were WAY more complaints about the video features than the 1DXII and B: It's a much bigger market. Nobody likes the idea of paying for all of the photo features of the 1dxII to turn around and use it for video only. I hope they update the 1dxII afterwards, it already has the heat management to handle all of this.

1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

Haha Andrew you are going to buy the 5D MKIV :)and you know it.

I think Andrew already have one but he is hiding it from all of us!!!!!….

1 hour ago, Rava_Rama said:

What makes you think that?

am Canon user my self and id like to have both systems 

Most people don`t have the money to go with both systems, so they have to choose, and I just quoted above one guy who was going to get a GH5 and decided to wait until this canon upgrade become real and then take a better decision, and guess what, I am sure a lot more will follow his example…..

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's sure as hell not going to conform to 24 or 25p.  Lest you forget the 1080p120 in the 1dxII conformed to...30p only in camera without audio.

Well hell maybe if it isn't true Canon will make it a reality LoL. They Have to be somewhat disappointed in how little love there is for the mkIV in the video community. I don't think this camera has been a run away success even with photo buyers. It cost too damn much money for one thing. $2,995.00 would have been a lot easier pill to swallow.