Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Reid

Samsung's boss Jae Lee may be in jail - but I have some great camera-related news for him

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The only thing it's really missing is a front-facing screen, sensor stabilization and a more sensible/supported lens mount. Kind of the same thing with the Fuji X-T2. GH5 and E-M1 Mark II camera bodies are examplary of how to approach camera design. C'mon Sony, take a hint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NX1 will forever be my favorite camera body, fit my hands perfectly and the interface was wonderful, sucks that it RS was so bad on it and it didn't take off as a platform. In terms of design it did everything right.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope so too... I even bought 3 more lenses after the system was certified dead...

Just that with the latest firmware, the exposure drifting issue is killing me - tried every related settings I could think of + reset... drifting still exists...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I am missing from the NX1 is the focus magnification while recording video. Just that, but it is a quite serious omission.

The ergonomics and menus of this camera is out of this world, in my whole life (and career) I haven't ever used anything so consumer friendly, ever. People haven't used one, do not know what I mean.

Yes, it is starting to show its age, but the 28megapixels BSI sensor, the H265 codec, the unicorn 16-50 2-2.8f workhorse, and the hack/modding happening in this forum, is keeping it near the top almost 2 and a half years after its first release, truly the first prototypical hybrid camera of the 21st century, equal photos and video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One Last Bow for the NX1 in the EOSHD Spotlight.  

If only his father didn't get sick and hand over the keys to Samsung Corp. right when they released it...

Dude has been gone for two years and now presidential scandals, exploding phones, exploding dryers, and scandalous exploding MICROWAVE spy cameras!

The New President took the keys to a powerful fairly respected company and drove it Right in to a ditch. 

Lets hope America can avoid the same fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Juxx989 said:

Dude has been gone for two years and now presidential scandals, exploding phones, exploding dryers, and scandalous exploding MICROWAVE spy cameras!

The New President took the keys to a powerful fairly respected company and drove it Right in to a ditch. 

Ever get the feeling WE the people could do a better job of managing corporations and countries than the supposed experts who do actually run them...

Ah no that would be too communist. I don't want to turn into Personal-View :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.

Samsung removes camera department. The department was integrated into the cell phone division.

Camera business needs patience for years or decades to come. But Samsung think it is a worthless business if they do not make profit right away. samsung can only wait just a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The only thing I am missing from the NX1 is the focus magnification while recording video. Just that, but it is a quite serious omission.

The ergonomics and menus of this camera is out of this world, in my whole life (and career) I haven't ever used anything so consumer friendly, ever. People haven't used one, do not know what I mean.

Yes, it is starting to show its age, but the 28megapixels BSI sensor, the H265 codec, the unicorn 16-50 2-2.8f workhorse, and the hack/modding happening in this forum, is keeping it near the top almost 2 and a half years after its first release, truly the first prototypical hybrid camera of the 21st century, equal photos and video.

My #1 beef was shooting longer takes - you could view the video through the EVF or rear LCD - but never toggle between them.  Drove me freaking nuts.  I would have to stop myself and say "Do I want EVF only video monitoring 10 minutes from now?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 김형희 said:

Nope.

Samsung removes camera department. The department was integrated into the cell phone division.

Camera business needs patience for years or decades to come. But Samsung think it is a worthless business if they do not make profit right away. samsung can only wait just a few months.

It was a shame.

They were on the way to a very nice market share

They just didn't see it.

And they probably saw the camera market shrinking due to their own cell phones and thought - WHY are we in a shrinking market AND why are we cannibalising our own camera-phones at the same time? Just doesn't make any sense.

But there were so many creative solutions to this problem -

1. Having high performing and well respected cameras would have boosted the Galaxy brand in their marketing fight vs Apple for best camera

2. The high end mirrorless camera technology would have filtered down to their smartphones as well

3. It hurt the Samsung brand to suddenly end a large product line altogether, virtually over night, with their customer services even claiming the specs were crap

4. By all means get rid of the low end models but keep at least the NX1 team going and produce an NX2

5. Their huge investment in CMOS sensors now has one less sales channel it can access and other big camera manufacturers aren't buying Samsung sensors. Not good!

6. They completely wasted the technology developed for the NX1, it hit a dead end. Nikon buying that tech would have made total sense for both of them but for whatever reason they couldn't see the light.

7. What about the staff? Not a nice way to treat them. Not just the engineers but thousands of sales and marketing people representing Samsung NX range

8. I could go on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my two NX1 (and NX500) and it works perfect.

NX1 is two years old, but it has best hardware under 2000$ until now.

If there's NX2 or high sensitivity version of NX1, it would be best filming camera.

 

President of Samsung Kun-hee Lee thinks camera business is very important. Even though it did not make money. But he is unconscious.

And he's son vice-chairman Jae-yong Lee thinks camera is just a toy. He sells everything for inherit. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It was a shame.

They were on the way to a very nice market share

They just didn't see it.

And they probably saw the camera market shrinking due to their own cell phones and thought - WHY are we in a shrinking market AND why are we cannibalising our own camera-phones at the same time? Just doesn't make any sense.

But there were so many creative solutions to this problem -

1. Having high performing and well respected cameras would have boosted the Galaxy brand in their marketing fight vs Apple for best camera

2. The high end mirrorless camera technology would have filtered down to their smartphones as well

3. It hurt the Samsung brand to suddenly end a large product line altogether, virtually over night, with their customer services even claiming the specs were crap

4. By all means get rid of the low end models but keep at least the NX1 team going and produce an NX2

5. Their huge investment in CMOS sensors now has one less sales channel it can access and other big camera manufacturers aren't buying Samsung sensors. Not good!

6. They completely wasted the technology developed for the NX1, it hit a dead end. Nikon buying that tech would have made total sense for both of them but for whatever reason they couldn't see the light.

7. What about the staff? Not a nice way to treat them. Not just the engineers but thousands of sales and marketing people representing Samsung NX range

8. I could go on.

samsung has abandoned many camera brands so far.

Rollei, Minolta & Pentax. samsung learned their skills and soon I had to leave them.

samsung does not know that camera (optics) requires a long time as well as technology.

Even if they know, there is not enough enthusiasm to take time and pursue a wonderful goal.

samsung just follow the benefits in front of eyes.

Of course, we must admit that the essence of being a corporation is the pursuit of profit, but Samsung lacks that much.

If someday the samsung owner will have a whim in his mind, he may be doing the camera business again, but that period will never be long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lee Jae-yong is a traitorous dog to the Korean people and his nation, it was in fact this dog that destroyed the Samsung Camera department and forcefully merged them with the smartphone department for no reasons. In fact it proved to be hurting them more as Samsung phone cameras has actually worsened compared to their competitors and no proper gain has been achieved their JPEG's beat Sony in shitty scale and the sensors seem to be stuck in 2014.

It was best to let camera department develop the sensors and let the camera department shrink them like in the old days when NX line became great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still one of the best 4K cameras out there today, period. A dial each for shutter, aperture and ISO? Well ain't love grand! An entire wedding day at 60p on on 64GB card? Cut off my legs and call me shorty! 4K for corporate? Startin to see pictures, ain't ya? Yeah, but you think your Sony/Panny/Canon has better color? No sir, sorry bushwhackas!

Maybe the now-jailed fella was responsible for the NX1's untimely demise. Or we go by my theory, which is the ugliest guy did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×