Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

2 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Indeed, I would to. Did however find a GH4 in mint condition for €200 (after I sold the 14-140mm lens for €300). But not planning to get it lost in the contest ;)

With a GH4 you should be taking in first place!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/27/2019 at 7:46 AM, Mmmbeats said:

What's your cine-d tweak recipe, if you don't mind sharing? 

Contrast -1
Sharpness -5
Noise Reduction -1
Saturation -1
Hue 0

You can turn noise reduction to -5 too if you want to handle that in post or you don't want the camera to do it.

3 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

IMO Hue at -1 is the one thing I changed in all of my profiles.

Yeah, to be honest my settings for Cine-d change all the time. I mostly just shoot HLG and either conform it myself in DaVinci (still learning this) or use Paul Lemming HLG to rec709 LUT.

I am sure there are other profiles settings that are better. I’ve probably had them set at one point!

Anyone know if the 35-100 Mk II still has micro jitter issues with the GH5? Looking at grabbing this soon, but it's been tough to get a straight answer online. 

Can someone help me? I can't find this answer anywhere and it's driving me crazy. I bought the zacuto hdmi protector but the screws stripped. I've managed to get them out but I need replacements.

What size are the screw threads on the side of the camera by the HDMI port? The answer isn't in the gh5 manual.

4 hours ago, Tiki_ said:

Can someone help me? I can't find this answer anywhere and it's driving me crazy. I bought the zacuto hdmi protector but the screws stripped. I've managed to get them out but I need replacements.

What size are the screw threads on the side of the camera by the HDMI port? The answer isn't in the gh5 manual.

Try emailing Zacuto, they may just send you new screws.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, mercer said:

Try emailing Zacuto, they may just send you new screws.

I ended up doing this and they are supposed to be sending me some screws.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:34 PM, dbp said:

Anyone know if the 35-100 Mk II still has micro jitter issues with the GH5? Looking at grabbing this soon, but it's been tough to get a straight answer online. 

I dont have micro jitters on mine. Will shoot some with my 35-100 when not too busy

3 hours ago, TurboRat said:

I dont have micro jitters on mine. Will shoot some with my 35-100 when not too busy

It's all good! I ended up buying one and don't find it has much in the way of micro jitters at all. Great lens.

Has anyone tried the Fotodiox ND throttle adapter? I've only seen stuff for the Sony version. I'm not super interested in a speed booster but having a "built in ND" would be amazing. I'm really hoping Kipon releases a drop in ND adapter like they did for Sony E mount. That would super ideal to have electronic controls and the ability to remove the ND.

5 minutes ago, njekolino said:

Would it be a good idea to trade in my x-t3 for a gh5? Just curious if anyone has both cameras, and could share their opinion with me

I don’t have both cameras, but unless you desperately need IBIS, I don’t see the point. The XT3 is also a small camera and would probably work a treat on smaller gimbals like a Ronin-S.C. or Weebil lab. It is a better photo camera with nice Fuji colors and film emulations. Does great video and has more reliable autofocus.

GH5 - New firmware 2.5 

1. Improved compatibility with the Panasonic LEICA DG VARIO-SUMMILUX 10-25mm / F1.7 ASPH. (H-X1025) digital interchangeable lens.
• Smooth aperture control is available during video recording.
• [Aperture Ring Increment] has been added with which users can choose the control method of the aperture ring from [SMOOTH] or [1/3EV] in photo shooting.

2. Improved compatibility with the Panasonic Remote Shutter DMW-RS2.

• The video REC switch on the Remote Shutter can be disabled in the camera’s custom menu.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

52 minutes ago, njekolino said:

Would it be a good idea to trade in my x-t3 for a gh5? Just curious if anyone has both cameras, and could share their opinion with me

I have owned both. The XT3 image is definitely better. Superior at  3200 iso and 6400 iso. Dynamic range is better. 4k 60p and  HD 120p holds up better to grading and hold more detail I've found. 

Auto focus is far superior. Dynamic range and noise performance in stills is far superior. 

IBIS on the GH5 is fantastic though and the H264 codec is much easier to work with than H265. The XT3 can show moire and aliasing at times where the GH5 is pretty much free of both. That isn't too say the XT3 is bad at all in this regard, just that the GH5 is really really good. The GH5 rolling shutter performance is better, again the XT3 is not bad the GH5 is just great. 

The XT3 sensor is obviously bigger, with a speedbooster you get the full frame look. That can't be achieved on the GH5.

Reviews are everywhere today, but I'm still looking for a clear side by side comparison of 4k  25 fps vs 4k 50 fps from the GH5 ( or 30/60) ...  How much is the loss in quality when shooting 50 fps from your experience ?