Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/11/2019 at 10:34 PM, dbp said:

Anyone know if the 35-100 Mk II still has micro jitter issues with the GH5? Looking at grabbing this soon, but it's been tough to get a straight answer online. 

I dont have micro jitters on mine. Will shoot some with my 35-100 when not too busy

Has anyone tried the Fotodiox ND throttle adapter? I've only seen stuff for the Sony version. I'm not super interested in a speed booster but having a "built in ND" would be amazing. I'm really hoping Kipon releases a drop in ND adapter like they did for Sony E mount. That would super ideal to have electronic controls and the ability to remove the ND.

5 minutes ago, njekolino said:

Would it be a good idea to trade in my x-t3 for a gh5? Just curious if anyone has both cameras, and could share their opinion with me

I don’t have both cameras, but unless you desperately need IBIS, I don’t see the point. The XT3 is also a small camera and would probably work a treat on smaller gimbals like a Ronin-S.C. or Weebil lab. It is a better photo camera with nice Fuji colors and film emulations. Does great video and has more reliable autofocus.

GH5 - New firmware 2.5 

1. Improved compatibility with the Panasonic LEICA DG VARIO-SUMMILUX 10-25mm / F1.7 ASPH. (H-X1025) digital interchangeable lens.
• Smooth aperture control is available during video recording.
• [Aperture Ring Increment] has been added with which users can choose the control method of the aperture ring from [SMOOTH] or [1/3EV] in photo shooting.

2. Improved compatibility with the Panasonic Remote Shutter DMW-RS2.

• The video REC switch on the Remote Shutter can be disabled in the camera’s custom menu.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

52 minutes ago, njekolino said:

Would it be a good idea to trade in my x-t3 for a gh5? Just curious if anyone has both cameras, and could share their opinion with me

I have owned both. The XT3 image is definitely better. Superior at  3200 iso and 6400 iso. Dynamic range is better. 4k 60p and  HD 120p holds up better to grading and hold more detail I've found. 

Auto focus is far superior. Dynamic range and noise performance in stills is far superior. 

IBIS on the GH5 is fantastic though and the H264 codec is much easier to work with than H265. The XT3 can show moire and aliasing at times where the GH5 is pretty much free of both. That isn't too say the XT3 is bad at all in this regard, just that the GH5 is really really good. The GH5 rolling shutter performance is better, again the XT3 is not bad the GH5 is just great. 

The XT3 sensor is obviously bigger, with a speedbooster you get the full frame look. That can't be achieved on the GH5.

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I have owned both. The XT3 image is definitely better. Superior at  3200 iso and 6400 iso. Dynamic range is better. 4k 60p and  HD 120p holds up better to grading and hold more detail I've found. 

Auto focus is far superior. Dynamic range and noise performance in stills is far superior. 

IBIS on the GH5 is fantastic though and the H264 codec is much easier to work with than H265. The XT3 can show moire and aliasing at times where the GH5 is pretty much free of both. That isn't too say the XT3 is bad at all in this regard, just that the GH5 is really really good. The GH5 rolling shutter performance is better, again the XT3 is not bad the GH5 is just great. 

The XT3 sensor is obviously bigger, with a speedbooster you get the full frame look. That can't be achieved on the GH5.

Ugh, I'm so torn right now - I could sell the XT3 and buy a used GH5 with the ULTRA Metabones speedbooster. I'm very happy with Fuji's pictures, but video? Handheld is more of my style and I absolutely can't do it, since it has no IBIS. Is it that much of a difference for photography between these two cameras?

3 hours ago, dorche said:

Reviews are everywhere today, but I'm still looking for a clear side by side comparison of 4k  25 fps vs 4k 50 fps from the GH5 ( or 30/60) ...  How much is the loss in quality when shooting 50 fps from your experience ?

A bit more noisy and of course vlog in 8 bit on the GH5 is not a good idea so you are stuck with Cine-D or Natural profiles.

1 hour ago, njekolino said:

Ugh, I'm so torn right now - I could sell the XT3 and buy a used GH5 with the ULTRA Metabones speedbooster. I'm very happy with Fuji's pictures, but video? Handheld is more of my style and I absolutely can't do it, since it has no IBIS. Is it that much of a difference for photography between these two cameras?

If you mostly do flash or studio photography it doesn't really matter. But the extra Dynamic range and low light performance on the Fuji make a big difference for the type of photos I like to take.

I've been considering the Nikon Z6, ultimately a better photo camera than the XT3 and it has IBIS. The 18-55 on the XT3 is nice for handheld, I end up using it a lot for photos too.

3 hours ago, njekolino said:

once you use ibis as good as gh5 its hard to want to shoot with something without it. Thats why i got the S1 its like a gh5s but FF and ibis

7 hours ago, njekolino said:

I had the Fuji XT-3 for a while and switched back to the GH5. 

GH5 has bad auto focus, you have a micro 4/3 sensor, etc... BUT man this camera is incredible. I missed it the instant I got the Fuji.

Fuji definitely has some plus sides and really great color. For photos I prefer the Fuji but the GH5 does great. One thing nice about the Fuji is the AF in 120fps full HD. But again I can get over that. 

If you do run'n'gun / handheld or anything of that sort. I would go GH5. It's a killer camera. Once they get a variable ND Micro4/2 to EF adapter the GH5 becomes a killer camera. Also don't fall for the noise around the depth of field not being shallow enough, it's plenty good. 

49 minutes ago, colepat said:

I had the Fuji XT-3 for a while and switched back to the GH5. 

GH5 has bad auto focus, you have a micro 4/3 sensor, etc... BUT man this camera is incredible. I missed it the instant I got the Fuji.

Fuji definitely has some plus sides and really great color. For photos I prefer the Fuji but the GH5 does great. One thing nice about the Fuji is the AF in 120fps full HD. But again I can get over that. 

If you do run'n'gun / handheld or anything of that sort. I would go GH5. It's a killer camera. Once they get a variable ND Micro4/2 to EF adapter the GH5 becomes a killer camera. Also don't fall for the noise around the depth of field not being shallow enough, it's plenty good. 

Yeah its perfectly fine with a speedbooster or the right lenses. With more inexpensive M43 lenses though I've never been satisfied with DOF on M43, at least for run and gun stuff where you don't have control of location and such.  

I love having full frame as an option but shooting super shallow isn't always the most realistic. Its really hard to stay in focus at f2 on full frame. 

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah its perfectly fine with a speedbooster or the right lenses. With more inexpensive M43 lenses though I've never been satisfied with DOF on M43, at least for run and gun stuff where you don't have control of location and such.  

I love having full frame as an option but shooting super shallow isn't always the most realistic. Its really hard to stay in focus at f2 on full frame. 

I've used the Panny 15mm f1.7 and the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and they are plenty good. I even used the Sigma 18-35mm NON speedboosted for some good results (just waiting on that variable ND adapter). I would personally love to see something like a 25-50mm f/1.4 or f1.7 that would probably never leave my GH5 if it existed. 

For those shooting with the 5K 4:3 mode who crop the image in post, how do you set framing properly?

I know there are guide-lines that you can put up on the display, but they're so feint that my brain completely ignores them, and so I instinctively frame up in the 4:3 view and then have difficulty cropping in post because I filled the whole frame.

I don't want to put tape on the screen, and can't put it on the viewfinder (which I use a lot).  Is there a hidden setting somewhere that I'm not aware of that shows stronger framing guidelines, or better yet, actually blacks out the top/bottom parts of the frame to only show the aspect ratio you set?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, kye said:

For those shooting with the 5K 4:3 mode who crop the image in post, how do you set framing properly?

I know there are guide-lines that you can put up on the display, but they're so feint that my brain completely ignores them, and so I instinctively frame up in the 4:3 view and then have difficulty cropping in post because I filled the whole frame.

I don't want to put tape on the screen, and can't put it on the viewfinder (which I use a lot).  Is there a hidden setting somewhere that I'm not aware of that shows stronger framing guidelines, or better yet, actually blacks out the top/bottom parts of the frame to only show the aspect ratio you set?

Thanks!

yeah no such settings exist, some not so sticky gaf tape is your best bet.Just out some cardboard on the screen itself so the tape only touches the plastic.