Jump to content

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/17/2017 at 9:57 AM, jonpais said:

I've only done one comparison, between a full frame lens along with the SB XL and a native micro four thirds lens, and for me, the magic was in the native lens, not the adapted one. 

What were the lenses? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dbp said:

What were the lenses? 

The outstanding 50mm f/1.4 and the 42.5mm f/1.2. The Nocticron wiped the floor with the Sigma. I don't own any 75mm ff equivalent micro four thirds lenses to do a direct comparison. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has the jittery motion on viewfinder been discussed here? The motion i am seeing when recording at 25/30 fps (on viewfinder only) is a total mess. On the monitor the motion seems ok. Some users are saying that the final output when recording at 25/30 fps is jittery with the slightest movement of the camera but i can't test it right now cause i am away from my pc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Has the jittery motion on viewfinder been discussed here? The motion i am seeing when recording at 25/30 fps (on viewfinder only) is a total mess. On the monitor the motion seems ok. Some users are saying that the final output when recording at 25/30 fps is jittery with the slightest movement of the camera but i can't test it right now cause i am away from my pc.

Haven't had this experience so far. Was the shutter speed okay?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Yep, 1/50. It's definitely not lens jitter cause i am using speedbooster with non IS lens. It's the camera and i am seeing many users (including experienced ones) reporting this.

Interesting. Can you show us where you have seen other reports of this? I have been considering buying the camera but that would be a big no no!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Interesting. Can you show us where you have seen other reports of this? I have been considering buying the camera but that would be a big no no!

No sign of this on my camera.

I would however recommend as always that you try the camera at a store if possible...or rent it.

In fact...the viewfinder is superb....lol by comparison the viewfinders on S35 film cameras were a nightmare...no seeing what you got beforehand...it was a skill to know what the image was going to look like...the processing lab saw it before anyone else!

thats why I always thought the complaints about the BMPCC LCD was funny considering the incredible image out of that little 900 camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2017 at 0:59 AM, jonpais said:

The outstanding 50mm f/1.4 and the 42.5mm f/1.2. The Nocticron wiped the floor with the Sigma. I don't own any 75mm ff equivalent micro four thirds lenses to do a direct comparison. 

No surprise there; the Sigmas are notoriously clinical. I'd say your results are specific to the lenses chosen, and not to native and speed boosted lenses on the whole. The results with my Leica 50mm Summicron-R or my buddy's SLR Magic 50mm APO would be markedly different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

No surprise there; the Sigmas are notoriously clinical. I'd say your results are specific to the lenses chosen, and not to native and speed boosted lenses on the whole. The results with my Leica 50mm Summicron-R or my buddy's SLR Magic 50mm APO would be markedly different.

Agreed...different lenses give a completely different look...good enough reason by itself, not to mix and match...my set of SLRMagics have a warmer "classical" look, and yet are completely distinctive from my set of FDs...one of the best aspects to the old Cine Zooms...Sergio Leone shot his films on an Angeniuex 25-250...and they are still one of the most beautiful examples of Cinematography around today!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Has the jittery motion on viewfinder been discussed here? The motion i am seeing when recording at 25/30 fps (on viewfinder only) is a total mess. On the monitor the motion seems ok. Some users are saying that the final output when recording at 25/30 fps is jittery with the slightest movement of the camera but i can't test it right now cause i am away from my pc.

You mention two different things here. The viewfinder refresh rate and the final output. The final output is not dependent on what the evf refresh is doing. The final output smoothness will be dependent on your shutter angle and the speed at which you are moving the camera. Also the GH5 has better readout speed for reduced rolling shutter at 4k than most other options out there as far as I know. In terms of the final files showing jitter, 9 times out of 10 that will be the computer struggling to play huge 4k files and uncompressing the codec. Viewing 1080 files or off youtube will be smooth for those machines.

The viewfinder or evf refresh seems to be a very reasonable on the GH5 considering this is a huge oled display. The monitor refresh goes up to 60fps, I don't know if the evf does. Some people may prefer a low pixel lcd with 120fps or higher refresh. I know I prefer the amazing evf image quality. Just as with tvs I'm sure future evf's will be faster and faster. The refresh speed, while somewhat average is still ridiculously faster than the one on the rx100v, that's for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

No surprise there; the Sigmas are notoriously clinical. I'd say your results are specific to the lenses chosen, and not to native and speed boosted lenses on the whole. The results with my Leica 50mm Summicron-R or my buddy's SLR Magic 50mm APO would be markedly different.

No question there, about the results being specific to the set of lenses I chose to compare. I still have trouble wrapping my head around the words clinical and organic though, and next to no reputable lens reviewers that I know of use this terminology when interpreting the results of their tests of such things as bokeh, flare, resolution, chromatic aberration, barrel and pincushion distortion and so on. Then again, they are reviewers, not artists or poets!

The same lens, be it a Leica Summilux C or Zeiss Master prime, in the hands of two different shooters, will also give very different looks, depending on such things as lighting, white balance and exposure; camera settings such as picture profile, contrast and sharpening; as well as composition, grading, etc. It is often said that m43 lenses, because their optical defects are corrected by the camera's firmware, are too clinical looking, but according to my own experience, the Leica 12mm and 42.5 yield extraordinarily beautiful images.

Some too believe that 4K is disturbingly sharp and unforgiving, but I continue to find an overwhelming number of  videos shot in UHD to be too mushy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

It is often said that m43 lenses, because their optical defects are corrected by the camera's firmware, are too clinical looking

You just confirmed my suspicion about Lumix lenses ! I wonder how much of the sharpness or over sharpening we experience with these lenses are the results of in camera correction ? As much as I love the footage I get from my lumix 20mm f1.7 it looks like a ton of digital sharpening is applied even when I use diffusion filters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

You just confirmed my suspicion about Lumix lenses ! I wonder how much of the sharpness or over sharpening we experience with these lenses are the results of in camera correction ? As much as I love the footage I get from my lumix 20mm f1.7 it looks like a ton of digital sharpening is applied even when I use diffusion filters

You fail to quote correctly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I love the footage I get from my lumix 20mm f1.7.

? I have seldom seen such oversharpened images as the ones you shared the other day, and I have my own suspicions that it's not the lens or camera to blame. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, bunk said:

Judge Dredd?

Kidzrevil takes my words out of context, then says they confirm his suspicion that [...]. This is not even logical. First of all, I say that the digitally corrected lenses I use produce beautiful images, then this somehow proves the opposite is the case with the fine Panasonic 20mm f/1.7? And to shout 'eureka!', as if this were the first time he definitively learned that m43 lenses are corrected in firmware? This is common knowledge, not something hidden away in the cellar of an inn in Turin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...