Jump to content
wolf33d

Canon EOS M5: full pictures and spec

Recommended Posts

The pictures of the new Canon flagship mirorless leaked. Some specs as well.

this is the latest joke from Canon:

Ergonomics looks amazing. Nice EVF, nice button layout, nice body and grip. 

But guess what? They give us a 80D video spec with no 4K. Are we late 2016? Yes we are. Bravo Canon once again. This camera could have been an AMAZING video S35 camera if it had XC10 specs (4K and nice codec and nice CLOG). Technically easy but Canon won't do it because they are fuckers and I am tired of it :(

http://photorumors.com/2016/09/08/this-again-is-the-canon-eos-m5-mirrorless-camera/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Some questions:

  1. Can it record clips longer than 30 minutes in a row (like a 2 hour uninterrupted event)?
  2. Does it have 24p?
  3. Will DPAF work with regular Canon EF lenses (like the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II lens) ?
  4. Does it have clean HDMI output for external recording?

If the answer to any of these is "no" then it's definitely not for me. If they're all "yes" then I would be very interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it has the same bitrate as the 80D and comes in at less than a grand, the M5 will probably replace my GX85. And if the 5-Axis is as good as it is on the XC10, it definitely will. With a speedbooster, it will be a 5-Axis FF pocketable monster. Would have liked to have seen 4K, but the 1080p from the 80D looks as good as 4K downscaled from the GX85, so who cares about 4K. I'll save transcoding time. 

20 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Although it says 'electronic' specifically. Don't know how you're going to apply 5-axis electronic stabilization... maybe with accellerometers and then cropping in, like that mapping software with post stabilization?

It's probably their version of Panasonic's Hybrid. So maybe a crop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mercer said:

If it has the same bitrate as the 80D and comes in at less than a grand, the M5 will probably replace my GX85. And if the 5-Axis is as good as it is on the XC10, it definitely will. With a speedbooster, it will be a 5-Axis FF pocketable monster. Would have liked to have seen 4K, but the 1080p from the 80D looks as good as 4K downscaled from the GX85, so who cares about 4K. I'll save transcoding time. 

It'll deliver perfect color in a small package. For whatever reason, everybody needs their crappy looking 8 bit 4k haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

The pictures of the new Canon flagship mirorless leaked. Some specs as well.

this is the latest joke from Canon:

Ergonomics looks amazing. Nice EVF, nice button layout, nice body and grip. 

But guess what? They give us a 80D video spec with no 4K. Are we late 2016? Yes we are. Bravo Canon once again. This camera could have been an AMAZING video S35 camera if it had XC10 specs (4K and nice codec and nice CLOG). Technically easy but Canon won't do it because they are fuckers and I am tired of it :(

http://photorumors.com/2016/09/08/this-again-is-the-canon-eos-m5-mirrorless-camera/

It could not have XC10 specs without the fan. If it had 4K it would have been in mjpeg. Which would have been fine by me. But don't forget, they're supposed to be releasing a FF mirrorless by year's end. If that doesn't have mjpeg 4K, then I would be surprised. As is, it's a little monster of a 1080p cam. 

9 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

It'll deliver perfect color in a small package. For whatever reason, everybody needs their crappy looking 8 bit 4k haha. 

Haha, I was so happy with the color I was getting from my original M and then I fell under the spell of that sultry, slutty 4K and I was chasing bad color, especially since I'm a horrible colorist, for the past year. I pick up the XC10 and 50D Raw and I remember the freedom of not having to tweak every increment from a picture profile trying to get my reds desaturated and my oranges not to pollute every pore. 60p with Canon color or overheated 4K with green skin tones... I'll take 1080p 60p please. 

10 minutes ago, Flynn said:

DPAF and 5 axis IS? I think this camera looks and sounds pretty awesome.

I wonder how well the DPAF works with their ef to ef-m adapter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, mercer said:

If it has the same bitrate as the 80D and comes in at less than a grand, the M5 will probably replace my GX85. And if the 5-Axis is as good as it is on the XC10, it definitely will. With a speedbooster, it will be a 5-Axis FF pocketable monster. Would have liked to have seen 4K, but the 1080p from the 80D looks as good as 4K downscaled from the GX85, so who cares about 4K. I'll save transcoding time. 

It's probably their version of Panasonic's Hybrid. So maybe a crop. 

Could be. Bout the mount... how does the EOS-M mount compare to the E-mount anyways? Flange? Just as flexible? Or more like the NX-mount? Are there any fancy adapters out there already? Is it possible? Are people working on it? Are there just your typical Chinese manufactured ones?

I know a lot of people don't mind a 1080p resolution only. Especially people who are creating online content and need to think about quick turnarounds, with fast editing and mainly dealing with mobile use and/or 1080p screens with 1080p uploads. When it has the skintones and color to match... and the dualpixel AF... that's why I don't get why they did not give it a fully articulated screen. Now GQ's Men of the year (category 'New Media') Casey Neistat has to continue lugging around that Canon 70D/80D a little longer. Honestly, I always think Canon just come up with these kind of things themselves. But why not ask for input and create something that makes a bit more sense for a whole lot more people? Hey, atleast it looks legit now... and! they've included a mic-in. :grin:

I'm just not sure why they can't make 'consumer friendly 4K'. I mean... people will still buy a GH-camera, because it's a productivity tool with advanced features... yet all their other cameras provide users with 4K options. That's the thing with Canon... You want 4K, haha! Howabout $4k in cash and bloated professional range cameras? Thank you. Come again. 4K doesn't mean I need 500Mbit MPEG and Canon LOG. Ok, then don't make it that 'fancy', geez. Or... just provide 2.5K/2.7K to really safeguard and differentiate your 4K cameras. I don't get the fear of moving away from 1080p. You've got to step it up to stay relevant (amongst the competition, but also phones are getting 2K, 4K tv's...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Korea where 4k is ubiquitous most people here would not even consider this camera. I don't get who this camera is for.

http://petapixel.com/2013/12/18/crunching-numbers-4-insights-camera-sales-data/

"While Asian sales ballooned, sales in the Americas (for which North America is the largest market) and Europe remained relatively constant. Meanwhile, sales in Japan as a proportion of total sales has shrunk by half, from 19.4% to jut 9.3%. If current trends hold, Asia will be the largest market for CIPA members by 2020.

The distribution of sales across these different regions may impact the way that companies direct their product lines in the future. For example, ILC cameras are far more successful in Asian countries than in North America, where consumers tend to prefer DSLRs. If the Asian market continues to grow, or the American market shrinks, manufacturers will be incentivized to shape product lines that cater to those markets. Then again, they may simply choose to introduce tailored products in some markets but not in others."

Color, compression, bitrate aside, if Canon can put 4k in their cameras and can appease the area between casual users and hobbyists who consider resolution a key point in cameras, why are they being so obtuse about something that is coming out in smartphones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Could be. Bout the mount... how does the EOS-M mount compare to the E-mount anyways? Flange? Just as flexible? Or more like the NX-mount? Are there any fancy adapters out there already? Is it possible? Are people working on it? Are there just your typical Chinese manufactured ones?

I know a lot of people don't mind a 1080p resolution only. Especially people who are creating online content and need to think about quick turnarounds, with fast editing and mainly dealing with mobile use and/or 1080p screens with 1080p uploads. When it has the skintones and color to match... and the dualpixel AF... that's why I don't get why they did not give it a fully articulated screen. Now GQ's Men of the year (category 'New Media') Casey Neistat has to continue lugging around that Canon 70D/80D a little longer. Honestly, I always think Canon just come up with these kind of things themselves. But why not ask for input and create something that makes a bit more sense for a whole lot more people? Hey, atleast it looks legit now... and! they've included a mic-in. :grin:

I'm just not sure why they can't make 'consumer friendly 4K'. I mean... people will still buy a GH-camera, because it's a productivity tool with advanced features... yet all their other cameras provide users with 4K options. That's the thing with Canon... You want 4K, haha! Howabout $4k in cash and bloated professional range cameras? Thank you. Come again. 4K doesn't mean I need 500Mbit MPEG and Canon LOG. Ok, then don't make it that 'fancy', geez. Or... just provide 2.5K/2.7K to really safeguard and differentiate your 4K cameras. I don't get the fear of moving away from 1080p. You've got to step it up to stay relevant (amongst the competition, but also phones are getting 2K, 4K tv's...).

Yes as flexible as e mount, not as much as m4/3 obviously. But C-mount lenses, Pentax 110, a lot of options. As of now, I believe it's just your generic speedboosters, ef and Nikon F. I assume an FD is probably on the horizon as well. 

As far as 4K, IDK why they can't put in a 100mbps mjpeg version or MP4 version like Panasonic. I remember that interview from the guy from Canon saying they were having heat dissipation issues. But as I said in my previous comment. Their high bitrate 1080p looks as good as Panny's low bitrate 4K, so for me where's the benefit? I am downscaling to 1080p before the edit, so I am losing nothing and saving time.

I also really like the new body too. It's nice to see them move to a power switch rather than the button. And I actually like tilt screens better than articulating screens, so again I am pleased with that. 

My questions are bitrate, IBIS, and how well the DPAF will translate through their ef to ef-m adapter. And price. 

11 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

In Korea where 4k is ubiquitous most people here would not even consider this camera. I don't get who this camera is for.

http://petapixel.com/2013/12/18/crunching-numbers-4-insights-camera-sales-data/

"While Asian sales ballooned, sales in the Americas (for which North America is the largest market) and Europe remained relatively constant. Meanwhile, sales in Japan as a proportion of total sales has shrunk by half, from 19.4% to jut 9.3%. If current trends hold, Asia will be the largest market for CIPA members by 2020.

The distribution of sales across these different regions may impact the way that companies direct their product lines in the future. For example, ILC cameras are far more successful in Asian countries than in North America, where consumers tend to prefer DSLRs. If the Asian market continues to grow, or the American market shrinks, manufacturers will be incentivized to shape product lines that cater to those markets. Then again, they may simply choose to introduce tailored products in some markets but not in others."

Color, compression, bitrate aside, if Canon can put 4k in their cameras and can appease the area between casual users and hobbyists who consider resolution a key point in cameras, why are they being so obtuse about something that is coming out in smartphones?

Because they don't sell TVs. Or they were being honest last year when they said they were having issues solving heat dissipation for 4K. 

There is absolutely no reason to lie when your excuse is a flaw in technology. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Because they don't sell TVs. Or they were being honest last year when they said they were having issues solving heat dissipation for 4K. 

But they are aware that tv manufacturers are shoving 4k screens down our throats, at least in Korea, and people who are shooting their babies and their vacations want to see this footage on their screens? Again, this is Korea, have no idea what's going on in USA and Europe. I just don't see why they handicap their cameras so much when they should be implementing 6-8k in their cinema line and just let their cameras try to catch up to what everyone else in the marketplace is already doing.

12 minutes ago, mercer said:

There is absolutely no reason to lie when your excuse is a flaw in technology. 

You mean they are incapable? That's even sadder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

But don't forget, they're supposed to be releasing a FF mirrorless by year's end. If that doesn't have mjpeg 4K, then I would be surprised. 

Hey mercer, where'd you get that rumor from? Source would be nice if you can find it.

Cause, I'd be interested in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...