The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

17 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

There's another known bug with XT2, when the vertical grip is attached, if any of the three batteries run out (1 in camera, 2 in grip), video recording would stop. Fuji support says this is normal, how ridiculous.

Have you learned about it from this review or on your own? :D 
Even though I dont own XT2 im following this tread from begging and do ocasional research on the web, 
The colors SOOC is one of the best ive seen, 
if fuji brings touch screen, fully articulated screen and maybe even ibis Ill jump the system, 
I want to scale down but I hate sony :P I would prefere FF aesthetics but I like the smaller lenses that are made specifically for APSC cameras and thats where Fuji wins
knowing that canon will never deliver with specs that what we all want and knowing I dont want MFT camera Fuji is the only altarnative :) :D

• 2 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are many things good about the xt-2 but for video there is also one very bad thing:

the refresh rate of the lcd and the evf when set to 25 fps is very much stuttering and not smooth like on other cameras such as canon or sony.  This is for me what makes this camera less nice to use.

Also the resolution on the back lcd is not that much. and its 3.0 inch and I prefer it 3.2 like on canon or nikon.

The rest is all great.

Thanks - I didn't do as much with the Canon as I had hoped. I really like the image from the X-T2, but I am having a little difficulty so far in getting nice motion cadence. I've only managed to get nice-looking motion shooting at 30p/1/60th and I would far prefer to shoot at 24p or even 25p. I'm asking around to find out if anyone has any secret sauce. On the upside, the camera works really nicely with my Samyang 'cine' lenses and the EVF is so good that I'm finding I don't even need to use any of the focussing aids to get sharp focus. That said, I added the 18-55 Fuji lens for the OIS and I've got a 35mm f2 arriving tomorrow because I keep reading Fujifilm shooters' blogs and getting severely itchy in the wallet area.

Hopefully I'll get out the weekend after next for a full-on video shooting session with sticks etc and by then will have ironed out the motion issues (I know it must be possible as I've seen plenty of X-T2 video where the motion looks fine).

• 1 month later...

Is overheating an issue when recording externally?

I'm asking because I've seen conflicting reports...in one instance the camera gets "as hot as a cup of tea", even when using an external recorder (they might have simultaneously been recording in-camera, which would explain things.)

But assuming you're ONLY recording to the external device, with the camera simply switched on, does the camera not overheat, and not shut-down after 30 minutes...allowing the recorder to fill to capacity. (This would be for covering long-form events.)

15 hours ago, jonpais said:

@Thomas Hill That's one way to bring a thread back to life! Excellent work, nice color, wonderful acting.

Thanks, Jon. Heidi nailed it. On the second take, she performed the entire seven minute monologue. We did eight takes total just trying different angles and working on the nuances of her performance. As for the look of it, I'm much more writer/director than cinematographer/editor and I'm sure that most on here could have done more with it. I barely touched the colors. It's classic chrome with a smidge of brightness and contrast adjustment, top is before:

Image1a.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2017 at 11:13 PM, mercer said:

This update solves some of your issues with the camera, right? Do you predict some more X-T2 use in the future?

Well, yes and no. Obviously whatever issues there are aren't keeping people like @Thomas Hill from telling great stories. I'd like to shoot with the X-T2 again someday. 

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Well, yes and no. Obviously whatever issues there are aren't keeping people like @Thomas Hill from telling great stories. I'd like to shoot with the X-T2 again someday. 

Care to elaborate on the “well, yes and no?”

Sometimes the issues can be seen as a liberation instead of a limitation. As proven dozens of times, by the many videos floating around, there isn’t a camera on the market incapable of creating amazing imagery in the right hands or circumstances, some tools just make it a lot easier. But there is something exciting about taking the bare minimum and working around its limitations... not that the X-T2 is the bare minimum, it’s obviously a professional piece of equipment. If only it had IBIS.

@mercer You hit the nail on the head. For the insane number of videos I've shot in the post office, for example, I've shot with practically all my Veydras and a bunch of other lenses handheld with the Panasonics. I couldn't have done that with the Fuji - or just with my two f/2 lenses on a gimbal. That Acros video I made - it was all shot on a gimbal, and practically every clip had to be stabilized in post as well. Probably something I was doing wrong. The lack of zebras makes it difficult for me to gauge exposure. Of course, if I used an external monitor, that'd help some. And for vlogging, a flip screen and a functioning remote app come in handy. I really don't want to rehash all the things I don't care for. The X-T2 should be great for narrative work: I've acknowledged as much in the past. 

6 hours ago, mercer said:

If only it had IBIS.

Supposedly its coming early next year, in the form of the new XH1. I'm holding on to some of my Fuji kit to see if they finally get it right. But I prefer IBIS so for now I'm mostly heading back to Sony.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-h1-will-fujis-first-ibis-camera-no-longer-x-t2s/#disqus_thread

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Thanks @jonpais!

If the firmware update makes the X-T2 autofocus work as well as it does on the new X-E3, it will be much better.

On the two shorts up above, the X-T2's autofocus worked pretty well with the 18-55 kit lens on "Hide" but went haywire on a couple shots. You can see it in the video. I didn't sweat it too much when I got it into the editor and saw the breathing because of the esthetic I was going for. On "Memories," it was locked down and she was stationary so the 35/1.4 worked great. When I tried a handheld take with that combo, the lack of IBIS played havoc, warping, totally unusable.